kind of embarrassing but I can't be the only one??

Options
I feel like I am in better shape than I look, and it's starting to hurt my work outs! Every time I come back from a long run, somewhere on my body has been rubbed raw! A few weeks ago it was my inner thighs, last week it was under my arms, and now the worst place that I don't even want to say :blushing: (let's just say my underoos are a little uncomfortable).

I have about 30 pounds to lose but I never envisioned losing them by rubbing away the skin :laugh: problem is, sometimes it hurts to workout and I don't want to make it worse, but other than that I am doing great and have a ton of energy. Today I just couldn't run - not because I"m tired or don't want to... but because my skin just can't take it. :sad:

Anyone else have this problem?? Any other ideas besides skin ointments?

Replies

• SkinnySkelton
    Options
    I did a marathon last year and the only thing that worked in my training was vaseline!

Otherwise you could try other forms of excercising. My personal trainer says you shouldn't do more than an hour at a time and do 40% cardio and 60% weight training (weights burn a ton of fat but do them in intervals between cardio workouts). Swimming is really good If you can.

Running isn't always the best form because you only work one muscle set everytime, you need to alternate it to achieve an all over body result.

I hope that helps a little bit!

H
  • ruggie
    ruggie Posts: 26
    Options
    The only other thing I can suggest besides skin ointments (vaseline, body butter) is for your thighs. Can you wear long shorts? Kind of like biking shorts that stay in place without the padding. Just a thought. The ointments do work well though.........
  • starstealing
    Options
    you're definitely not the only one! vaseline works wonders to help this! when i was training for my half this past year, my butt cheeks of all places rubbed raw! O.o i start marathon training in september and will be starting up again on the vaseline...
  • sherri79eaton
    sherri79eaton Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Put deoderant/antipersperant on the places that are rubbing together, it helps me feel better within a day and then put it on the trouble places when you run and it should help
  • VCStarr
    VCStarr Posts: 155
    Options
    Use baby powder on any area that might rub before your workout and take a cool shower or bath after to calm the skin :)
  • carpsdale
    Options
    That is to funny! I call the chaffing "chub rub". I use aquafor when I am training for marathons, you can buy it in tiny tubes and bring it with you on long runs, works great. Keep running and great job on getting shape.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    How about alternating between resistance training and running, that way you can still work out without continuing the damage your skin :smile:
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    ALso make sure you are wearing water-wicking gear. The sweat can chafe because of the salt content!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I would suggest different clothing that might prevent rubbing in the first place; sometimes they cost a little more but they are worth it in the long run (no pun intended). They make 3/4 style shorts that come down to just above the knees and the jogging bras and training shirts with built in bras are also amazing. Powder is another option over vasoline - smoothed on gently before dressing.
  • mark996
    mark996 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I used to have to wear longer underwear, like baseball sliders, luckily I owned several pair from high school baseball. Now, I don't have to worry about it it seems. The best thing I found was Vaseline. As far as the bra thing goes, I have no input whatsoever there, haha.
  • HarleyRunner
    HarleyRunner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The best thing I have found is a product called Body Glide. Most running stores have it. I like it better than Vaseline because it seems to last longer and it doesn't stain your clothes.
  • iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have not had this happen because of working out, but just from excess walking when I went to Disney. I was recommended to use a product called Body Glide. It is a substance that looks like deoderant that runners use so they do not get chaffing. It is sold in Canada at places called "the Running Room". It is sold in a stick form and you just glide it onto whatever part of your body that you don't want to chafe or sweat. Even the bottoms of your feet to prevent blisters.
  • 194Days
    194Days Posts: 16
    Options
    you all rock, this was very helpful!!
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    There is a skin protectant that I have bought in the past I think it was called Silk. I bought it at CVS Pharmacy ( In the feminine isle). Its great because its not gooey like Vasaline and it ends up feeling like silky powder. That really works.
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've heard great things about BodyGlide. Haven't used it myself, but lots of runners I know (Chub rub and just other chafing issues) say it's great!