Any diabetics out there?

Options
Hi all, I have been on just about every diet out there and can't seem to stick to them. This time I really need to lose the weight and keep it off for my health. I take four shots of insulin a day and need to lose 50 pounds. I'm hoping that keeping track of everything I put in my mouth will keep me on track. Any added support would be great. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• LindaLou1397
    LindaLou1397 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I have been on just about every diet out there and can't seem to stick to them. This time I really need to lose the weight and keep it off for my health. I take four shots of insulin a day and need to lose 50 pounds. I'm hoping that keeping track of everything I put in my mouth will keep me on track. Any added support would be great. :flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    welcome.gif

There's several of us diabetics on here. I'm Type 2 non-insulin dependent. Lost 45 pounds since I've been using MFP and have gotten my blood sugars down to an average of 92--that's from an average of 140 3 months ago!

I've also managed to have one of my diabetes pills cut completely by my doc and the last one I still take has now been cut in half!

And, all this while finally--after 5 years--being able to eat fruit again without my levels going through the roof!

So, welcome! You've come to the right place to get help!
  • Nana27
    Nana27 Posts: 77
    Options
    Hi all. I just started MFP yesterday and so far I am loving it. I have Type 2 diabetes, taking 4 to 6 shots a day, plus pills morning and night for lots of things beside the diabetes. I knew I had to do something when my daughter told me that she was scared I was going to die unless i started taking care of myself. I need to lose 100 lbs (of which 4 are already gone - water weight I am sure, but i'll take it any way I can get it!!) As you can see I can use all the support I can get! :flowerforyou: Hope we can support each other through our trials and tribulations. :smile: Nana 2 7
  • insearchofskinny
    Options
    I was a diabetic... now I'm considered pre-diabetic... thanks to getting the weight off.

You can do it!

I follow a low carbohydrate diet... that's working for me.

Good Luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    Options
    Since I've been here, losing weight and exercising, I am actually eating more carbs than I have in years! Like I said, I can have fruit now--even bananas (banana smoothies have become my absolute favorite treat!) and mashed potatoes again! And, I even found out about a pasta called Dreamfield that has low carbs and tastes wonderful--so I can even have pasta again!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Welcome to the site!
  • LindaLou1397
    Options
    Hi all,

Today was really a weird day. I guess my body isn't used to me cutting calories so I had a low sugar in the afternoon and again after dinner. I guess tomorrow I will cut back on my insulin. I take four shots a day, one with each meal and then Lantus before I go to bed. Even with all the extra snacks I think I did okay today. :smile:
  • shorerider
    Options
    Just keep your doc up to speed on what you're doing--and watch those lows!

But doesn't it feel great to be able to cut back on meds!
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    i started yesterday also. i too am T2 diabetic. i am just restarting my weight loss again. had lost over 70, but quit smoking and trying to get back on track. i really want to finish this road. i am loving this site.
    welcome, chipper
  • LindaLou1397
    Options
    Hey Chipper15173,

Congratulations on quitting smoking, keep up the good work and have a great 4th. This is the first time I have tried adding my ticker so we shall see how it works.

60169.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter