will eating smart ones lower triglycerides?

Options
hello I need some help I am trying to find something that will lower triglycerides that is also convienient for me. do you think smart ones would help?

Replies

• DKWaggoner
    DKWaggoner Posts: 185
    Options
    I had very high triglycerides and the way I lowered it was exercise (the best way) & taking fish oil caplets.Diabetes will make the tri's higher too..I am diabetic & got it all under control by diet and exercise.
  • pickledlilly
    pickledlilly Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It's the same old story, lose weight, exercise, good fats, reduce sugar etc. Your doctor may prescribe statins for you as well.

I had this problem and I didn't understand the seriousness until I had a heart scan and it was found that I had thickening of the wall of the left side of my heart.

I did take statins but I had bad side effects but I know others that do well on them.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    hello I need some help I am trying to find something that will lower triglycerides that is also convienient for me. do you think smart ones would help?
    the problem with frozen foods/processed foods is the high sodium they all contain and that brings along a whole problem all it's own.

Perhaps cooking up chicken and veggies, brown rice etc. before the week starts then dividing it up for lunches and then simply warming it up at work/school (?) will be just as easy, far healthier and way tasier!! :tongue:

Also baked chicken ahead of time can be used for salads, sandwiches and so much more. If you're absolutely in a pinch and need to grab something quick, a lower sodium, lower fat frozen meal might be ok once in awhile but personally I don't care to eat them very often myself.

As Deb shared, excercise is amazing in how much it can do for blood pressure, cholestrol levels, blood sugar issues and lower body fat and so much more!! Eating healthy is important but excercise is just as HUGE for health changes!:drinker:
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Maybe. But Eating foods rich in Omega-3 will help you out, maybe even taking that supplement, and I'm not a fan of processed Foods See how much sodium is in their foods here. http://caloriecount.about.com/smart-ones-nutrition-m942 Their calorie/cholesterol ratio looks good, but the sodium is crazy. But that's the way it is with most processed foods.

Found this info for you.

ELIMINATE or LIMIT ALL sugars such as, concentrated sweets, sugar, honey, molasses, jams, jellies, candies, pies, cakes, cookies, candy, doughnuts, ice cream, frozen yogurt, and sweetened gelatine.

Eliminate or limit as much as you can alcohol, such as beer, wine, hard liquor, liqueurs as well as other foods, like sweetened cereals, flavored yogurts, and sports or energy bars.

http://www.all-about-lowering-cholesterol.com/diet-to-lower-triglycerides.html

Part of the reason I started losing weight was because my doc said that my Cholesterol wasn't good for my age, and it doesn't run in my family. It was because of the weight. I'll know in a couple of months when I go back in for a check up if it's changed any, I told her I wanted to do the whole foods/exercise routine and not go on med's unless I absolutely had to.

I don't know if you're not a cooker. I'm not really but if you ever have time like one evening a week someone on the boards here said that they make up their meals/foods and put them in the freezer for convenience.

Here's a link on foods that help lower cholesterol. http://www.joybauer.com/high-cholesterol/oatmeal-for-high-cholesterol.aspx

I also started using flaxseed and oatbran/oatmeal in a lot of my breakfast choices because I read that oats can help naturally, I also try to eat some cherries during the week because that helps too, and that flaxseed is good for the whole digestive system which the liver is connected to. So thinking that I"m helping all of my organs out inside there.

I eat salmon It's at wally world, it's frozen it's all natural pacific caught and it's in the frozen section, (orangey-red outer bag) it has no breading on it and it's individually sealed/packaged. It's super quick too when they cook. I put down about 1/2t of olive oil so it doesn't stick to the pan, then about 1/4 t of bread crumbs, put the salmon on top of that, sprinkle about 3/4 of a teaspoon of the breadcrumbs sometimes less on top of it and then cook it for 10-13 minutes and it's done. It's has omega 3's in it and it's quick and you can eat with anything. It also doesn't flake all over the place, and it's quick clean up which is good because I hate doing dishes.

Hodgsons Oatbran or just regular oatbran is excellent to make morning breakfast with, You'll have to bake but the breads/muffins you can make taste good and it helps lower cholesterol you can also just buy oatmeal, though I prefer oatbran it seems to be more filling and they have some really good recipes on the web for oatbran.

Sorry if that doesn't help much, but just read what you can about what helps lower triglycerides and find the most common denominators from research and go from there.
  • fightingthebulge
    fightingthebulge Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    the problem with the chicken, veggies and brown rice is I get bored easy and that results in a binge for me so yea not so good I like the smart ones cause they have a variety of choices and they are easy to make.
  • fightingthebulge
    Options
    thank you so much!
  • shell_83
    shell_83 Posts: 16
    Options
    I don't know about the "Smart Ones" but My doc just put me on fish oil. Try taking them at night though some people belch them up.
  • fightingthebulge
    Options
    my husband took that fish oil and he reaked like a fish no joke everything his arms and all . yuck! but hey if they work then thats awesome.
  • pickledlilly
    pickledlilly Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the "Smart Ones" but My doc just put me on fish oil. Try taking them at night though some people belch them up.

Oh no! you've just reminded me of my worst nightmare. I just can't take the taste of fish oil. Oh no...mackerel!!!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Fish oil isn't created equal and nothing beats its EPA / DHA profile. Nothing.

I'd recommend buying any of the following types to avoid belching: Nordic Naturals, Carlson's, Barleans (has the addition of citrus to the capsule), or Trader Darwin's (from Trader Joe's).

I've tried a LOT of brands of fish oil and those DO NOT cause unwanted side effects. I take between 4-6 capsules daily. I also eat salmon, herring, and other oily fish about 6-8 times weekly. So if anyone were to smell like a fish, it would be me. And I don't!
  • Herewego
    Herewego Posts: 49
    Options
    I am not critizing anything that people said but hre is my view:
    Rather than taking pills precribed by your doctor, rather than stopping eating all together full groups of food, why don't you try to eat reasonably and simply (you should be able to see how much, fat, protein, sugar... you are eating every day and how much you should be eating on this site) and to exercice regularly.
    Try that for a couple of months, go back to you doctor for some new analysis and see if in making reasonable and right choice you have reduced your tryglcerine?

HWG :happy:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I am not going to sugar coat it. I lowered my trugs from 500 down to 49.

Plain and simple your going to have to change your lifestyle and your thinking. Stop the excuses and the I cants.

Plain and simple is, you don't want to.

I eliminated processed and most processed sugars. Thatmeant grains, most fruit, pricessed foods, ice cream, etc.

If you want to be healthy it requires TRUE change.

Meat and veggirs are not boring if you are creative with your spices and flavorings.

How bad do you want your trigs to be in a healthy level?
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

Oh no! you've just reminded me of my worst nightmare. I just can't take the taste of fish oil. Oh no...mackerel!!!
    Ya know I started taking the liquid type and I've loved it, I got to talking to someone in a health food store, actually a customer and she showed me what she takes. Of course I just ran out of the bottle and cannot for the life of me remember the brand. Anyhow it's got lemon in it and it's called lemon drop. It actually goes down nice and smooth and lemony, no sugar or anything like that with the lemon, just a nice smooth flavor. No fish burps like the capsules.

My experience with fish oil, quite pleased I ran into someone at the store picking her up while I was browsing :)

I'll have to look at the old bottle but I think it was 'Barleans' or something similar to that. :wink: Time to pick up some more because I could DEFINITELY tell a difference in so many ways, from my skin being less dry, to my energy level and so many other positive benefits. :drinker:

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Fish oil isn't created equal and nothing beats its EPA / DHA profile. Nothing.

I'd recommend buying any of the following types to avoid belching: Nordic Naturals, Carlson's, Barleans (has the addition of citrus to the capsule), or Trader Darwin's (from Trader Joe's).

I've tried a LOT of brands of fish oil and those DO NOT cause unwanted side effects. I take between 4-6 capsules daily. I also eat salmon, herring, and other oily fish about 6-8 times weekly. So if anyone were to smell like a fish, it would be me. And I don't!
    Silly me, I didn't read all the posts before posting again. lol

Yup, that's mine! "Barleans" with the citrus but mines not in capsules its in the bottle and I store it in the fridge, YUM, I know hard to believe but it does have a nice flavor :) Oh and nice to see the TJ's recommendation as well, waiting for my store here to open up but good to jot down the info so I'll have it. "Barney" you're just a wealth of info!! I appreciate it!!:drinker: :wink:

Becca
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I am not going to sugar coat it. I lowered my trugs from 500 down to 49.
    Congrats!! That's simply amazing what hard work can do for our bodies!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    the problem with the chicken, veggies and brown rice is I get bored easy and that results in a binge for me so yea not so good I like the smart ones cause they have a variety of choices and they are easy to make.
    Oh I do understand how one could get bored eating the same foods. I guess I switch up mine enough that it's not same everyday. I use various websites and check diaries and if something interests me I ask a friend how she made her dinner etc. Got a great Roasted Ravioli Recipe from an MFP friend the other day simply by seeing it in her diary under simplemeals.com or something and looked up it.

Simple recipe, looks yum and best of all healthy. But at the begining of time with all this, I was the same way, lost in what I'd be cooking and getting bored with baked chicken every night, so I don't eat it everynight anymore. LOL Rarely in fact. :)