Cardio vs Strength Training and Toning

Options
rachso
rachso Posts: 174 Member
When I first started really getting serious about my weight loss journey ( about a month ago) I was doing programs like the 30 day ab and squat challenges. Then I discovered that 1) muscle only adds weight so I was adding lbs and 2) toning and strength training isn't going to do any good unless I've lost some of the flab and weight. So I decided to focus more on the cardio aspect and burning calories..then get into strength training later.
I started at 5ft4 and weighing 220 lbs. I'm 7 lbs down so weighing around 213 now. As I watch my inches come off I notice the fat has turned into flab because of lack of toning. So I guess my question is: When is cardio alone enough to start adding strength training and toning? I know both are important but I'm trying to decide if I should start now or wait til I'm down to like 199 so more fat/inches have gone before I start adding toning again.
Also, for those doing both...is it equal amounts of cardio and strength/toning or do you do more of one than the other?

Replies

• lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    why do people always pit them against eachother?

Do both. Some days I run, others I do more strength/resistance based things... your body likes variety... do both! :smile:
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    both is the answer...

MORE is always better
  • lttappenn
    lttappenn Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Start now! There is absolutely no reason to wait on strength training. The benefits are amazing in so many ways. And does it really matter if you gain some muscle while losing fat? Is it going to slow your weight loss that much? I doubt it. Good luck! Lift some heavy things!
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    both is the answer...

MORE is always better

Hmm... I don't know if I agree that more is always better, your body does have it's limits. But, strength training is great for you overall, and while it won't help you lose pounds necessarily, you'll see more improvement in your body composition and the way you look, and likely the way you feel. The only thing that will lead to weight loss is a calorie deficit, and if cardio helps you keep under your calorie goal, then great! It's also good for your heart and lungs. I do both, I do cardio about 2x a week and strength training 3x and I'm still losing weight.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    why do people always pit them against eachother?

Do both.

Agreed.

And on a side note... not meaningful, significant changes will happen in just a month. Yes, you can lose some weight, but when you're talking about muscle, toning, etc, you have to be thinking about a longer timeframe.

Be patient.
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Another key point to strength training is calories burned. Strength/resistance training burns calories even after you are done working out as your muscle uses energy to repair itself, with cardio if you burn 300 calories by the end, then you will burn 300 calories total. Short answer is definately do both, as the better your cardio conditioning is the better your workout will be, however I know a lot of people who are in great shape and for cardio do no more than walk 20 mins a day, but lift regularly.
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Modify your routine...:wink: every other day (workout) do cardio and the next day weights.:happy: It's great to give your muscles a days rest to mend :smile: ... For both ocassions always "warm up" first. ... Enjoy your workouts.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Then I discovered that 1) muscle only adds weight so I was adding lbs and 2) toning and strength training isn't going to do any good unless I've lost some of the flab and weight.

These ^^^ are both incredibly untrue.

1) Was probably water retention. You may have had some "noob" muscle mass gains, but it really shouldn't be enough that will effect the scale that much, especially long term. Your muscles retain water to help repair them post exercise.

2) Strength training will both help you lose flab and weight as well as maintain all of the muscle mass you already have so you will have the toned look after the fat is gone.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Then I discovered that 1) muscle only adds weight so I was adding lbs and 2) toning and strength training isn't going to do any good unless I've lost some of the flab and weight.

These ^^^ are both incredibly untrue.

1) Was probably water retention. You may have had some "noob" muscle mass gains, but it really shouldn't be enough that will effect the scale that much, especially long term. Your muscles retain water to help repair them post exercise.

2) Strength training will both help you lose flab and weight as well as maintain all of the muscle mass you already have so you will have the toned look after the fat is gone.

This. If you're actively trying to lose weight and eating at a deficit, other than some new-to-lifting gains 9which even out after not too long), you won't add muscle. The scale may move down slower because you will be retaining more muscle. One of the reasons the scale moves downward faster through diet only and/or diet and cardio only is that you are losing fat and LBM. If you're doing a good resistance program, most of your loss will be from fat, and you'll look and feel better.

There's no reason you can't do both. I run 2-3 days a week (that's not always my cardio, but I'm currently gearing up for some races) and lift 3 days a week. I sometimes walk or do other cardio after my weights, depending on how I feel or how my time is looking.