Don't Fit the Mold

Options
I know many people here use the goal set by MFP. I always thought it was way too high. It may work for some, but I don't fit the mold. I did a month long experiment.

During my 7 day work week I sleep all day for 8 hours, commute 3 hours, and work a 9.5 hour shift. The remainder is spent bathing, on the computer or eating. My average intake is 900 calories and I always lose that week. During my 7 days off, I am more active, get in some exercise, sleep during the night which is better for my health, and I eat the MFP recommendation. The first week of eating 1,400 calories I gained 4 pounds. I lost that plus another pound during my next 900 calorie week. This last 1,400 calorie week I only gained 2 pounds. I should lose that easily during my 900 calorie week. Since I lose with 900 and gain with 1,400, my maintenance diet will probably be around 1,200 calories. This makes sense, because a 5'2 120 pound woman only needs that much food.

I have been told by two separate physicians and one nutritionist that I needed to eat 800 calories a day. One of the doctors was once big like me, she ate 800/day to lose weight and still eats that way to maintain her weight. She is busy running around, too.

My point is that there are those of us who are different. If you find that you are not losing weight, maybe you need to cut down your calories.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    That may be so from your experiment, but to me it sounds like your metabolism is shot, if you can gain weight on 1400 cals/day, its called "starvation Mode" and your body will store excess calories as fat as it is not sure when the next time it will get enough food. 1 month is not long enough to restore your metabolism to "working" condition. Just as the one on 800 cals per day to maintain has destroyed her metabolism so to will you if you keep up this regimen. Please don't take this as criticism, I am saying this out of concern.

The main reason it is suggested not to go under 1200 cals per day is that it is next to impossible to get all the nutritional requirements from a diet so low in calories. Your body needs a certain amount of fat protein and carbs and at 900 cals a day you will be lucky to get enough of any one of those not to mention the vitamins and minerals needed by your body.
  • ladytap
    ladytap Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ugh, not another "starvation mode" comment....

I say good for you for figuring out what works for your body. And thanks for sharing! You're absolutely right, there is not one set formula that works for everyone! That gets pounded into peoples heads on these forums sometimes.."Do what it says and only what it says or you'll gain weight or go into the dreaded starvation mode." I've found that sometimes you just need to do what works for you.

So...bravo! And keep it up :drinker:
  • saramike5kids
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I am 5'4 and weigh currently 148.5. MFP says my calorie goal should be 1290/day, but I have a hard time eating that much if I am eating good foods and not nutrition poor/calorie dense foods. I have been wondering for the last few days if I wasn't eating too many calories for my body. I lost almost 4 pounds my first week, but that all came off in the first 3 days... I think it had more to do with dropping my sugar intake! I want the weight to come off fast, but don't want to throw my body into starvation mode. I think I will stick with the 1290 calories as a guideline, not allow myself to eat the additional calories I gain by exercise, and see what happens.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ugh, not another "starvation mode" comment....

I say good for you for figuring out what works for your body. And thanks for sharing! You're absolutely right, there is not one set formula that works for everyone! That gets pounded into peoples heads on these forums sometimes.."Do what it says and only what it says or you'll gain weight or go into the dreaded starvation mode." I've found that sometimes you just need to do what works for you.

So...bravo! And keep it up :drinker:

I know you don't like my earlier comment but if you can gain weight on 1400 cals then there is something wrong with your metabolism, maybe a thyroid issue but something is wrong, not to mentions you can not get enough nutrients on 900 cals/day.
  • dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I understand nutrition. I have 4 years of pre-med and 4 years of pharmacy school. I used MFP to track my food before dieting, just to get an idea of how much I ate. It revealed that I ate between 1800 and 2000 per day. This amount of calories kept my weight at 240 pounds on my 5'2 frame. People who are meant to be petite weigh less and need to eat less. Also, the so-called starvation mode does not change your basal rate ( which is lean body mass at rest). Your metabolism will eventually kick in. There are no known reports of obese people dying of starvation. There are articles in scientific journals (not Internet info, which is not peer reviewed) that have studied this topic.

Think about the story of Richard Simmons. He literally starved himself by not eating at all and lost tons of weight. It was not healthy, but it is proof that you can go without any food and lose weight. Your body will not let you starve, it will burn fat and muscle for calories. That's why it is important to eat enough protein. You want to lose the fat, but not the muscle or internal organs. My sister does not eat enough and she is eating up her body. Tests show protein loss. Her diet is a piece of cheese now and again. She weighs 100 on a good day.

My point is that all people are different. Not one thing works for everybody. I suspect there are others like me, who do not require much food.