Confusion with Polar FT4...heart rate range...

Options
evt84
evt84 Posts: 71 Member
Hi everyone!

I have a Polar FT4 HRM and for my stats, my heart rate range is calculated at 124-162. When I do my daily Insanity workouts for 40 minutes, I'm only "in the zone" for about 11 minutes! Usually I'm above 162....my highest was 182.

I definitely feel like I'm getting a good workout (burning 400 calories+) and I don't feel lightheaded or ill or anything....so should I be concerned that I'm so far over the higher end of my target range?

Sorry--a little new to this HRM thing...!

Replies

• fullofhope76
    Options
    I have the same monitor and when I am over my range I can feel it is too much so I slow down. I am not sure of the effects of being over your range. Sorry I can't give better advice. Hopefully this bumps it up so you can get good input!
  • faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Mine is always over too. I turned off the alert so it would quit beeping at me all through my workout. I haven't worried about it.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It calculates your range based on 65 and 85% of your maximum HR so you stay in the aerobic range. It isn't necessarily bad to exercise above your range, but your entire workout shouldn't be that high. A lot of things can influence your HR - including meds (albuterol inhalers, stimulants, cold/cough medicines), heat, caffeine...

ETA: If you notice you spend most of your workout above range, don't stop your workout, but slow down the intensity or take a walking break. Decrease the intensity a little.
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I have a Polar FT4 HRM and for my stats, my heart rate range is calculated at 124-162. When I do my daily Insanity workouts for 40 minutes, I'm only "in the zone" for about 11 minutes! Usually I'm above 162....my highest was 182.

I definitely feel like I'm getting a good workout (burning 400 calories+) and I don't feel lightheaded or ill or anything....so should I be concerned that I'm so far over the higher end of my target range?

Sorry--a little new to this HRM thing...!

I have the same problem. My range is 120-156 and I'm usually around 165-170 for a majority of my Jillian Michaels Body Revolution workout!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Most people shouldn't pay any attention to HR zones. Just go as hard as you can for as long as you can.

HR zones have a purposes for higher level athletes looking for very specific training outcomes. People looking to lose some weight, look a little better and be a bit healthier don't need to worry about them.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    It calculates your range based on 65 and 85% of your maximum HR so you stay in the aerobic range. It isn't necessarily bad to exercise above your range, but your entire workout shouldn't be that high. A lot of things can influence your HR - including meds (albuterol inhalers, stimulants, cold/cough medicines), heat, caffeine...

ETA: If you notice you spend most of your workout above range, don't stop your workout, but slow down the intensity or take a walking break. Decrease the intensity a little.

I disagree.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I have the same monitor and when I am over my range I can feel it is too much so I slow down. I am not sure of the effects of being over your range. Sorry I can't give better advice. Hopefully this bumps it up so you can get good input!

Being over your target range causes you to burn more calories.
  • evt84
    Options
    jacksonpt -- yes! I try not to focus on the range too much--I mainly bought the HRM so I could see how many calories I burned on average when working out. But when I noticed I was so far over my recommended range last night I thought I'd check in here to make sure I wasn't going to keel over and die or anything... ;)

thanks for your advice!
  • martybartram
    martybartram Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with being above the aerobic zone. Particularly if you are not doing an aerobic workout. Many workouts like insanity are anerobic and your heart rate is an indication of that. If you were merely running you would not want to stay in the anerobic zone for 40 minutes (unless you have a specific training purpose).

Your ability to sustain a high HR is an indicator or your fitness. The fact that you feel no ill effects is positive. As pointed out, everyone is diffferent, has their own metabolic rate, and body chemistry which effects performance. Just as illustration, one of my performance goals is to maintain my HR at 100% for an hour.

Bottom line, your HR should match the type of workout you are doing and the purpose of the workout. Keep in mind that a high HR for a short period of time can burn more calories than a lower HR for a longer period of time. This does not neccessarily mean that is what you should be doing but if your goal is simply to burn calories then it is a factor. Ibelieve Jillian Michaels explained this very succinctly in one of her recent podcasts (which are great btw). I can't access them from work or I would put a direct link to the episode but I believe it was one of the last 4.

Hope that make sense.
  • evt84
    Options
    makes perfect sense marty--thank you!!
  • lttappenn
    lttappenn Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I agree. If you feel alright then there is no reason to stay in that zone. I manually changed mine to a higher zone on my HRM for this same reason. I like high intensity workouts and they burn more calories. Keep killin it!
  • Thruen
    Thruen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have the same hrm. I like it. You're not "in the zone" becouse youre going higher then your set max hr. You can manually set it higher if you wish. The monitor should still show your calories burned normally tho.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Most people shouldn't pay any attention to HR zones. Just go as hard as you can for as long as you can.

HR zones have a purposes for higher level athletes looking for very specific training outcomes. People looking to lose some weight, look a little better and be a bit healthier don't need to worry about them.

Completely correct.

Ignore the zones unless you're doing heart rate training - which you might do if training for an endurance sport. Until then, there is nothing wrong with working about above the silly "zone" that Polar gives you. That said, I think a variety of intensities are good :) My "zone" exercise is usually walking my dog. ANYTHING in the gym is above the zone.