I cried at bootcamp today

Options
13»

Replies

• Garthhog
    Garthhog Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Turn those tears into righteous anger! Tell the pain that it cannot control you. And know, when you are whooped and hurting, that you gave it your best. Go home satisfied that all of that pain is making you stronger. That's my male perspective...
  • SusanB148
    SusanB148 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    What if you found a workout that you loved?

It would be SO much easier to stick with a workout that you love!

I know your friend that brings you to boot camp means well, but as much as I enjoy doing boot camp, I wouldn't even think of dragging a friend that is new to exercising into such an intense exercise class!

If the gym your friends is driving you to doesn't have any less intense exercise classes during the time she is there, how about getting some exercise DVDs and trying them at home? That way, you won't have to compare yourself to others when you are exercising. Many public libraries now offer exercise DVDs, so you can try them and see if they're what you want before you spend any money on them. Also, you can check for inexpensive exercise DVDs at yard sales.

Also, many YMCAs offer deeply discounted or free memberships to people that are having financial difficulties. So you might want to check into that.

But whatever you decide, good luck!
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    On three separate occasions I had to walk out of my yoga class (I have terrible acid reflux) 2x I went back in, my instructors were so proud I did that...the 3rd time I couldn't. I really, really wanted to vomit and could not stop retching...one came and sat with me outside where it was cooler, just talking with me.

I wanted to quit yoga all together, but I didn't, I went to the next class...

I was proud of me, and you will be of you too.

(I really miss yoga, no classes available where I now live)
  • gingerlady62
    Options
    I agree take baby steps and everytime u get passed that one move to the next one. I once lost 150 pounds but i had the stomach (by pass done ) and it was the Hardest thing to do the weight came off fast Because i kept pushing myself to walk ... when i first started i couldn't even walk 3 mins with out giving up.... but each day I would walk just one more min. and so fourth... until i was walking 3 miles every morning and then i walked 3 more miles at night.. Now after 10 yrs. i have put on 60 of my 150 i lost and stopped walking altogether i am now begining to start over its tuff for me i have a bad Knee but i am not gonna let that stop me i will push to do what i can.. so chin up ! good luck if me at 50 can do this YOU CAN too. Good Luck..
  • gingerlady62
    Options
    hello i have just started this Fitnesspal my daughter has been doing this for awhile and she is doing Grate on it so being i need to take off a few pds i am willing to try ... i need all the Help i can get thanks
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Everyone starts off somewhere. The fact that you attempted bootcamp puts you ahead of those who choose not to do anything. Keep it up!
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Dont worry about them and what they can do... This is you.. You got this! :) You can & you will! Dont be discouraged!!!

Jennalee85251, the OP is already at the point of crying. Why not encourage her to take a class that is more appropriate for her current fitness level instead of suggesting that she stay with something that is making her miserable?

Telling someone that's new to exercising to start with boot camp is just like telling someone that's new to running to enter a marathon!

I am probly one of the least fit to attend my morning classes. I started doing modifications for practically everything. Every few weeks I modify a little bit less. I am advancing quicker than I thought possible. I would say give it a few more times then decide. Just don't be embarrassed, or compare yourself to others. Keep moving the whole class. I am glad I did not quit. I feel like I accomplished something, and today in particular I feel so good and energetic!
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I went to a zumba class and I'm not lying, I was the only one who didnt know what the heck to do. The instructor gave no cues, and everyone knew the whole doggone routine. I looked like a bumbling idiot. I put myself all the way in the back in a corner, away from the class, and did what I could. In other words, my message to them was, I can't keep up with you but I paid and I'm gonna do something. Of course I didn't go back, I picked something that I was able to do, build up to that high intensity. I did a zumba class yesterday. Took me 34 days of conditioning my body. They say anyone can do zumba, but not when the instructor is a maniac and doesnt take in consideration beginners in her class. It was like I was in the middle of that TV series "FAME". So I sure hope you can feel better about that boot camp, get over in a corner on your own girl and work that body best you can.
  • SusanB148
    Options
    What you should do depends on your goals.

Do you really want to be good at doing boot camp? Is that your goal? Or are you doing boot camp because it's a class you have a ride to and know someone in the class?

Or would you rather be part of a fitness class where not so many people are super athletic and more people are at your fitness level and work your way up to being more fit there?

If being good at boot camp as quickly as possible is your goal, stick with it, do the best you can, but be careful not to push yourself to the point of injury.

If being good at boot camp is not your goal, and you hate the way it makes you feel to try and keep up, my advice is to check around and see what other fitness classes are available that you can afford and/or get transportation to. Boot camp class will always be there when you are at a higher fitness level and ready to try it again.

Either way, good luck!
  • Dedeholtz
    Dedeholtz Posts: 5
    Options
    Who cares if you cried at bootcamp. YOU WENT TO bootcamp. That's the important thing.

I have gone to a couple classes with my ultrafit SIL and want to cry through the whole thing not only cause it hurt but because I look over and wish I could do it as easy as she is. But I go and I try and I have to stop (a lot) and next time I just try to go a little longer before stopping.

Good Job today!!!

This ME, But I Go With My Ultrafit Best Friend! I Stop A Lot!

I Made It Through Yesterday, With What Seemed Like LESS Stops, So I Am Happy!
  • Dedeholtz
    Dedeholtz Posts: 5
    Options
    I Really Enjoy The Type Of Workout During The Times I Dont Feel Sick Or Like Passing Out. I Dont Want An Easier Workout, I Want To Get Better At This One, So SWitching To A Different Class Is Not An Option For Me. Plus, I LikE Working Out With My FrienD, Which Is A Big Motivation, Since We Both Have Kids And There Are Few Opportunities For Us To Spend Time Together!

(SOrry For The Typos, My Phone Likes To Capitalize Everything On This Website)
  • SusanB148
    Options
    That gym should offer beginner's boot camp for people that are new to that kind of a workout so they won't feel so discouraged or overwhelmed.

My gym does that, and it's a great starting place for people that are new to exercising or doing boot camp style workouts.
  • carlos13th
    carlos13th Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hey dont be so hard on yourself. I started Muay Thai not to long ago and was barely standing at the warm up. Everyone else in the class found it far easier than me. Ive been pushing myself each week till the point where I am exhausted yet wasn't able to make it past the first hour class till the second because I was to exhausted. Last week I was fit enough to get through the first two classes and stay for sparring so keep at it.

Dont compare yourself to others in the class, compare yourself to yourself a week ago. Also remember no matter how slow you go you are still overlapping and our repping everyone on the sofa that night.
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I had to work up my stamina and endurance on the elliptical and treadmill before I could do a class like that. Even then I couldn't keep up for the longest time, but it eventually happens.

Hang in there because it WILL happen for you.
  • SusanB148
    Options
    Since you decided to stay in the boot camp class so you can exercise with your friend, please be careful that you don't push too hard trying to keep up with the more experienced athletes in the group and get injured or pass out from over-doing it..

I would never suggest attempting full-scale boot camp workouts as a starting place for anyone that is just getting into exercise, but it's your choice.