Slow Long Distance Runs

Options
Does anyone else have trouble mentally with slow long distance runs? I find I have to actively concentrate on slowing down/maintaining a slow pace and if my mind starts wandering I start speeding up. I guess being a relatively new runner (running my first 10k next week!) it just feels weird to hold back so much.

On another note - should I base the slow run on pace or heart rate? My normal runs are in the 165-170 range and my slow runs are around 150-155 (resting HR around 65, 26 years old).

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Runner's World has a calculator that helps you determine what speed you should be running your runs at.

http://www.runnersworld.com/training/pace-calculators

That being said, your tempo should be getting faster. The biggest contributor to speed for beginners is time on your feet. Eventually, speed work will have to be brought in, but as of right now just distance alone will help get you faster. Always judge your pace on long runs by your breathing and how you feel. You should be able to hold a conversation through out the run.

Yes it will feel weird to hold back. You might be suffering from boredom from your training plan. Try bringing in fartleks, speed sessions, and hills into your other training days and it might help kick your urge to bring up tempo during your longs.
  • DavidHusky
    DavidHusky Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, that training paces calculator is a great tool. I think I'm definitely still in the "time on your feet" stage, but I'll look into doing some speed work.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    There is a misconception that the LSD (long steady distance) runs should be done significantly slower than your easy runs. If you look at McMillan's Running Calculator, you'll see that the LSD is only seconds slower per mile than the easy run pace.

If you have to run your long run significantly slower to get through it, then you are running your easy runs too fast.

OP, based on your HR numbers, I'd contend that this is the case for you.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have been running for more than 5 years now. I was pretty inconsistent for a long time at getting in my miles, but have been pretty good about it for the past 2-3 years. Until recently, it felt like I only had one running speed and my shorter runs were at the same pace as my long runs. I am finally at a point where it feels easier to vary speed.

For my long runs, I have to consciously slow myself down for the first 3 miles or so. By mile 4 or 5 I try to spend less time looking at my watch and just run at a pace that I feel I can sustain for the rest of the run.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    There is a misconception that the LSD (long steady distance) runs should be done significantly slower than your easy runs. If you look at McMillan's Running Calculator, you'll see that the LSD is only seconds slower per mile than the easy run pace.

If you have to run your long run significantly slower to get through it, then you are running your easy runs too fast.

OP, based on your HR numbers, I'd contend that this is the case for you.

Interesting. I've never heard it called long steady run. Although I do refer to it as my long slow run, I actually follow the MacMillan pace.
  • RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of trouble stretching my runs past about 4 miles due to not being able to keep a slower pace. No matter how hard I tried I always wanted to run at about a 9mm, and could only do that for about 4 miles. I bought a gps watch and it helped me get the feel for the slower pace. It wasn't long before I was about to log about as many miles as I wanted at a 10mm. I have since been able to feel the pace a little better, but it still helps to have the watch at times.

For me, I found a great benefit in being able to run a long run of 7-10 miles, even if it's at the slower pace.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Assuming your max heart rate is around the predicted value, 194, you are running all your normal daily runs too hard for proper development of the aerobic system.

Easy runs should be 70 to 80% max. For you that is 135 to 155.
    Long runs in the same range.
    Tempo runs 85 to 92% max. For you 165 to 178.

When your aerobic system is developed you don't have to slow down to a crawl to run between 70 and 80% max. But to get it developed you have to train in that range and if that means slowing down a lot then that's what you have to do.

Right now all your daily runs are tempo runs. If you slow most of them down to easy runs you will be able to run further and run more often, and that will build your fitness faster and higher.
  • Bruhstorfer3
    Options
    Just to add my $0.02

I've been back into running for 3 years now (many 5k, a few 10k, and three half-marathons). I tend to run based on effort; I found that looking at a HRM or trying to pinpoint a pace was too stressful -- that is not to diminish those methods; as I get more experience I plan to train by those one day.

I can't remember if it was Runners World or Competitor (maybe a third source), but they broke down a race/LSD into three zones. Yellow, Orange, Red. Run the first part in the Yellow (easy speech) -- next part run Orange (broken speech) -- last stretch run Red (need concentration, talking is a task). I typically try to run like this (with a little input from a watch) and I really enjoy my Long Runs.

Here is a good quote (or paraphrase) I read recently "If your starting pace doesn't feel too slow, you are probably going out to fast"

Enjoy the Run!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I can't remember if it was Runners World or Competitor (maybe a third source), but they broke down a race/LSD into three zones. Yellow, Orange, Red. Run the first part in the Yellow (easy speech) -- next part run Orange (broken speech) -- last stretch run Red (need concentration, talking is a task).

While I agree with this for a race, there is no reason to run your LSD run in this manner. If you start getting into the Orange and Red zones in your LSD, you have gone past the aerobic range and are no longer getting the adaptations that the LSD is supposed to provide. Even on my hardest long runs, like 18 miles with the last 8 miles at marathon pace, I'm just barely into the Orange zone and the Red is nowhere to be found. Many long runs I'll finish and have heart rate fully recovered in a matter of minutes. This is how the LSD should be done according to Lydiard and all his disciples.
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    IU found that the best use of my heart rate monitor was to slow me down.
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said.

Also: I like listening to entertaining podcasts. They hit the perfect mental balance for me between music (brain won't concentrate on it; I will just tune out) and say, listening to a philosophy textbook (too much heavy stuff for brain to concentrate on). I stock up a good playlist of podcasts -- some humor, some fitness, etc. -- and it's all good.
  • DavidHusky
    DavidHusky Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input - sounds like I need to slow down a bit. Since the "Conversation" pace is pretty subjective (for me at least) I'll try to stick to the heart rate.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the OP and all the informed and helpful posters. This thread was very informative for me. I am just getting to the 4 mile range for my long runs. It's great to have these points to consider as I start stretching that out.
  • ravenwolf99
    Options
    I think it really depends on what the goal of that particular run is. There are long slow distance runs which focus on getting you used to being on your feet for a longer time, there are progression runs where you slowly speed up over the distance until you are at your goal time when you finish. There are other types and everyone has differing opinions on what works, what doesn't and whether you should do this one or that one. I think it really comes down to what is comfortable for you that will get you to where you want to be. On another note, I have been know to talk through an entire half marathon due to mental boredom! :smile: Pretty sure my running buddies tune me out LOL

* I would definitely recommend making friends with the local running store(s) because there is no better way to gather information than other runners. They will be honest about the good, the bad and the ugly.