Recommendations for hair loss

Options
beccib2
beccib2 Posts: 44 Member
Hi All

I have suffered with hair loss for a very long time. I'm inclined to think it is because i am a vegetarian so in the past 17 years i have been malnourished in some way which has caused this. (i.e. before i started cleaning up my diet) I'm just wondering if any other vegetarians or indeed meat eaters have suffered long term with this problem but then found some kind of resolution for it i.e. a specific vitamin or supplement that has slowed or even stopped the process and helped regrowth?

Any particular nutrients you could recommend to help?

I'm finally getting the body i always wanted, but my hair seems to be dissappearing with age (i have been eating healthily for 2 years now and i'm still losing it as fast as ever) so any advice (other than meat or fish) i would really love to hear

Cheers :-)

Replies

• jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. This one is beyond the scope of Internet forums.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    My roommate had success with taking biotin to make hair/nails stronger.
    Also, make sure you have enough fat in your diet as that will help with your hair as well.

Good luck. Oh, and see your doctor.
  • seegood
    seegood Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem in the past; had a LOT of testing done, tried perscription medications, injections and creams but nothing worked. Many people thought it was because of low iron/lack of protein due to being vegetarian, however all of the bloodwork voided these arguements.

I have been taking a suppliment called Nutrilite Shine for the past six months or so, and it has been helping a lot, so much so that my doctor who I see regularly has started taking it herself.
    The supplement is largely biotin and vitamin C, and is organic, and I have been very impressed with it based on ALL of the other things I have tried.
    It can be bought online: www.GoHealthyLifestyle.ca
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    You need to have 0.4 grams of fat per pound of body weight as minimum. Lower than that will mess up some hormone levels for most of people. So make sure you meet your daily fat requirements. Also, you might want to go and look for some multivitamins for vegetarians (extracted from vegetarian foods). And ate a lot of dairy and eggs, since you do not ate meat, most of nutrients in meat you can get easily from it.
  • beccib2
    Options
    I have had the same problem in the past; had a LOT of testing done, tried perscription medications, injections and creams but nothing worked. Many people thought it was because of low iron/lack of protein due to being vegetarian, however all of the bloodwork voided these arguements.

I have been taking a suppliment called Nutrilite Shine for the past six months or so, and it has been helping a lot, so much so that my doctor who I see regularly has started taking it herself.
    The supplement is largely biotin and vitamin C, and is organic, and I have been very impressed with it based on ALL of the other things I have tried.
    It can be bought online: www.GoHealthyLifestyle.ca

Ahhhh This is exactly the kind of answer i was looking for. TY.
    Like you all my bloods come back fine nowadays ( i used to suffer with iron deficiency anemia) but not for a while now.
    Doctors can be harsh sometimes if they can't see the cause of the problem i.e. the response i get is well everything looks fine
    i already take multi vitamins etc but just wondered if there was something else i could try just to try and help.
    I will definitely hunt this product out as it sounds like you are very similar to me so if it works for you, maybe it may help me.

Thank you loads :-)
  • beccib2
    Options
    AHHHH can't find any UK sellers :-(
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't mind vitamins and minerals as a boost where it is difficult to get the daily allowances in from your food. But the one mentioned is 'largely vitamin c and biotin' (commonly known as vitamin B7) - you can easily increase those in your diet every day.

I swear by foods rich in vitamin E for healthy hair and nails - you can find it in nuts, seeds, tomatoes, broccoli, spinach, peanut butter, sunflower oil (and almond, wheatgerm probably others). Try adding these to your diet, it'll give you more variety and great hair, skin and nails :)
  • beccib2
    Options
    AHHHH can't find any UK sellers :-(

Think i'll just look at those vitamins and buy them to make my own concoction. Seems like biotine is the biggest part of it
  • goshnames
    goshnames Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It could, of course, be a medical thing...but I've had bouts of hair loss as well, and my blood tests came back pretty normal looking.

My hair stopped falling out in abnormal amounts when I switched to a sulfate/paraben free, organic shampoo and conditioner. If i go back to using shampoos with sulfates in them, my hair starts to fall out again.