Candida Diet

Options
I am a candida sufferer. I have been since 2006, when a doctor prescribed me antibiotics and steroids to treat a terrible poison ivy reaction. That treatment wrecked my gut health, and ever since I have become susceptible to yeast overgrowth when my diet gets out of whack. And it does.. because yeast cause sugar cravings amongst other things.

I am just starting this message board to introduce myself as a runner and multisport athlete who will not give up the good fight toward better fitness! I will not let candida bring me down.

I have been treating the condition with diet and supplements. 12 days into a low-sugar diet with lots of anti-fungal supplements and probiotics. I have about 2 weeks to go before I begin reintroducing certain foods.

I have been able to run and work out, and I feel pretty good!

If anyone would like some help or guidance, please reach out!

Cheers,
Katy

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I kinda know how you feel - I'm just nine weeks pregnant and have already had two bouts of thrush. I'm eating lots of probiotic yoghurt and taking a supplement but I'm finding it really hard to cut back on my sugar - I'm so tired by the end of the day that when the chocolate comes out I can't seem to say no!

I'll be really interested to hear how your low-sugar diet goes,
  • katykid15
    katykid15 Posts: 4
    Options
    Did you know that coconut has a lot of natural anti-fungal properties? There's a great coconut bread recipe that is made with coconut flour, coconut milk, and coconut oil (and very few other things). It has been better than my anti-fungal supplements in terms of creating a die-off effect!

Check out www.thecandidadiet.com for recipes - the bread is there. Also, there are certain foods you should avoid besides sugar (vinegars, which change the pH in your gut in favor of yeasts).

I think I will have coconut bread in my life as a regular part of my diet, knowing that I have this predisposition.

Congrats on the new baby!!!

There's also a really tasty (expensive, but worth it) drink called Kevita - it's a sparkling probiotic drink.