elliptical question

bynsky
bynsky Posts: 15,837 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
So, about 5 years ago I bought an elliptical machine for my home. When I bought it, I didn't realize that it had no motor at all and was entirely on your own body resistance. The ones I had used at the gym previously had a motor...

Needless to say, it's been sitting collecting dust through a pregnancy, and now me trying to get back into shape.

Any thoughts on if the calorie count for this type of elliptical would be different than the "elliptical trainer" in the exercise category? I feel over exerted and sore after only a few minutes, where on the machine at the gym I could do 20-30 minutes with no issues.

Replies

• Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Best bet is to get a heart rate monitor to be able to tell how many calories you are burning. That is my only suggestion.
  • HMMM good question... I have a elliptical and LOVE it. BUT I havent ever seen one with a motor...I dont go to the gym though. I am assuming the elliptical trainer on the exercise page here is just a reg old elliptical with no motor.
  • vdub88
    vdub88 Posts: 79
    we have no motor on any eliptical machine at the gym I go to. self propelled is the way to go. I agree withthe above - heart rate monitor will tell you the most accurate BURN
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Yep, HRM is really the best estimate of calories burned. My apt gym has an elliptical that seems super easy, where I have one in my actual apt that is completely controlled by my effort. You will get a better/harder workout from the self powered one I'm sure.
  • I have a CE7.4 elliptical at home. There is not a motor but rather an electromagnetic braking system. The machine's controller varies the resistance as well as counts the calories and such. I remember when I first got it that even on it's lowest resistance setting, I was only good for about 5 minutes and that was after months of working out on a TotalGym. Each day I would add a little more time and when I was up to 15 or 20 minutes, I started playing with resistance. Even now I feel I am in the process of growing stronger and increasing the resistance. Typically I do a 32 minute session but earlier this week I went for 64. In my case, it took time and I had to build myself up.
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,378 Member
    I've had two different ellipticals and they both used the electromagnetic resistance. It starts out with very light resistance and you can work it up from there. I've been at this a year and I can't imagine actually using the highest resistance for any amount of time. I think they intend that for the "intervals" programs that are on the machine. It will vary the resistance during the workout. It'll be fairly light for a few minutes and then ramp up a bit and then spike for one minute and back down. I just use the manual method.
This discussion has been closed.