Exercise to target saddlebags?

Options
Hello all,

I have come to terms with the fact that my worst area is the saddlebag region on my thighs. You might be like my husband and have no idea where your "saddlebag" is. It's the area where some women carry their fat that ends up looking like the saddle bags on a motorcycle. Anyways, this seems to be one of the biggest reasons for my smaller clothes not fitting. I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and if they've found an exercise to help.

Just a side note of information: I have had 5 hip surgeries such as hip replacements and my right hip is starting to hurt again. I have also had spinal surgery for scoliosis so my back does not bend anymore since it's essentially cemented and fused. Just wanted to let you all know because I am limited to a certain extent in terms of flexibility. I have tried running, but my back ends up feeling too heavy if that makes sense.

I love yoga although I can't do everything due to my back being fused. I usually make my own modifications. I am currently doing the 30 day shred and am on level 2, day 4. I occasionally walk my dog around the neighborhood for about 30 minutes. I also do some weight lifting.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• nighthawke
    nighthawke Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Exercise in general will eventually make you lose weight in those unwanted areas. There really is no such thing as targeted weightloss.
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Our problem areas (for me the "spare tire") are where our bodies like to store fat. The only way to get rid of the problem fat is to lose enough fat that we are no longer carrying extra, and even then we will probably have a bit more roundness in those problem areas than we would like.

There are people/companies/products which will say otherwise so we can hear what we would like to hear, but the truth is that no amount of wishful thinking or money will change this fact.

Liposuction is the only "spot reduction" method that works. Unfortunately in addiction to the surgical risks, the results can be ugly, and permanent.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Squat squat squat squat deadlift deadlift squat....
  • FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    bodyfat% lowering

no such thing as spot reduction
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Eat at a caloric deficit and exercise however you're able to. As others have said, fat loss is the way to rid yourself of your saddlebags.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    No such thing as targeting where you lose weight. Basically, you're looking for fat loss. The only way to do this is with a calorie deficit. To have the ratio of fat loss compared to muscle loss go in your favor, do strength training with a deficit.

To get rid of the sagging and squish, strength training with a progressive load is the way to go. For example, this is me at about the same weight:
    weightscardio.png
  • j724mecham
    j724mecham Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. My body fat is at about 30.6% so I'm hoping as that goes down, so will my fat deposits. I was just wondering in terms of what might help to strengthen that area so it's not just fat. Just like crunches help with your abdominal region and bicep curls help build your biceps. It was just more a question of strengthening and targeting that area such as squats which were mentioned.
  • j724mecham
    Options
    New name of topic:

Exercises to strengthen area where saddlebags are so they're not just fat deposits.
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    No such thing as targeting where you lose weight. Basically, you're looking for fat loss. The only way to do this is with a calorie deficit. To have the ratio of fat loss compared to muscle loss go in your favor, do strength training with a deficit.

To get rid of the sagging and squish, strength training with a progressive load is the way to go. For example, this is me at about the same weight:
    weightscardio.png

I love how you are wearing the same shirt to show your progress! amazing work!!
  • j724mecham
    Options

weightscardio.png

Thank you! I am thinking when I get to a certain body fat %, it will go down. I've also read through the forums and it seems genetics and hormones have a lot to do with it at all. Which is especially bad timing since I'm currently weaning my body off Depo Provera (birth control) and haven't had my period come back yet. My hormones are out of funk.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit, calorie deficit, calorie deficit. Lifting heavy things will help and cardio can be a part of it. But only a calorie deficit will 'target' them (along with targeting everywhere else that you carry your weight). It might be the last place you lose but if you remain vigilant, they will eventually go away.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Apart from weight loss, there are exercises you can do to target those areas. A good one is the curtsy lunge. But make sure you are adding weights.
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    There is really no way to target lose.... but you can work on toning up that area. When I want to tone up a particular area, I hope on youtube and take a look for toning exercises for the area I want to work on, it is helpful :)
  • mrsjoyw
    mrsjoyw Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    As much as I HATE them but since I've been consistantly doing them...squats and lunges have helped me firm up my saddlebags. I can proudly say that I'm starting to like my booty LOL!! Of course healthy eating along with exercise. Overall weight loss has made the biggest difference but I can honestly say that I believe all of the various forms of squats and lunges have helped assist with firming up, lifting up and reducing the size of my saddlebags.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Overall weightloss and strength training. You'll get there, it takes time!
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Considering your hip problems, have you tried bike riding? I'm getting a great lower body workout and haven't had any hip pain. I normally have pain with walking.