Insanity support required

Options
Hi everyone,

I am 3.5 weeks through the Insanity programme and I started it with all the motivation in the world, now I'm getting further into it the further to finish seems to be - is there anyone out there that can lend me some support with this or at least relate to my next paragraph?

I'm not there yet, but I can feel myself getting to the stage where I start trying to find excuses not to do it. I've not missed a single workout yet and seem to still have the determination in my mind but slowly losing it from my body! My fiance is very supportive and tells me all the time that he can see a difference but there are days when I feel just as large and lethargic as I did at the beginning of the year when I was at 229lbs (now 214.6lbs). I have been taking measurements and pictures every Monday and have noticed a difference in those so it is definitely working, but it doesn't seem to change how I view myself on a daily basis - starting to think I've got a bit of body dysmorphia?

My Insanity diary goes a bit like this.

Week 1: I was excited and ploughed my way through the workouts, this was however excrutiating and I could barely walk at times, everyone at work was taking the mickey because I was hobbling about.

Week 2: I felt I was getting worse and not better at the beginning of the week - I put this down to muscle fatigue and just kept powering through but by the end of the week I felt amazing, strong and had lots of energy

Week 3: Started well, but now half way through and finding myself staring at the Insanity Calendar wishing the time away and solemnly putting my gym kit on each day.

I know the final results will be worth the hard work, sweat, tears and strops and I've already told myself I'll have to do Insanity 2 or 3 times to be where I want to be in terms of fitness and tone. Just struggling at the moment to keep up the momentum, so I would like to know if any other of you have "hit the wall", when it happened and what you did to get through it?

Replies

• Pbgrl04
    Pbgrl04 Posts: 129
    Options
    I feel you I just started this week and I'm having trouble finding the modivation to make it through the week but I'm determined to do it! I've tried insanity a few times and always quit after about a week so I told my self this time I have to make it! I've also heard that the first month is to get you ready for the second so you won't see big results till the 2nd month! Feel free to add me
  • rolemodel69
    rolemodel69 Posts: 365
    Options
    The first few weeks of starting training out are the hardest. The Insanity workouts are quite hard and will make you sweat like hell, push you to your limits and you will feel exhausted after each workout. But as the weeks goes by, you will eventually feel like you need those workout to feel better and actually feel bad when you don't do them.

15 lbs is a lot of weight in 3.5 weeks, are you sure you are not starving yourself? If you don't eat enough, you will feel drained and lacking energy and this might just make you want to stay on the couch instead of working out.

My other concern would be your choice of program. Are you sure Insanity is really for you? Is this your first workout program? Insanity is a pretty extreme program and not the best choice for someone who is starting to work out.
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I start Max on Monday. I actually did six weeks of the first round of workouts instead of four for a variety of reasons.

What rolemodel said....are you eating enough? That is a lot of weight loss in a short period of time. Which can happen healthfully, but if you aren't able to make it through your workouts, there's a good chance you're not fueling your body properly.

The right workout for you is the one that you enjoy so much that you rarely want to skip it. You need to learn what that is. Walking/running/swimming/other videos/Zumba/kickboxing/step aerobics... the options are endless. So why force yourself to do something you hate?

Finally, Insanity is a great workout. But it's not magic. It's not soooo much better than every other workout that you should force yourself through it even though you hate it. Eat at a healthy deficit, find a workout you really like, and do it most days. That's the key.
  • carlywifeybrown
    carlywifeybrown Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    15 lbs is a lot of weight in 3.5 weeks, are you sure you are not starving yourself?

I have lost 15lbs since January 2013 through a combination of fewer calories and mostly swimming/walking. Now I've dropped that 15lbs of weight I thought it would be great to get to a decent fitness level and tone up (and hopefully lose a bit more weight).

Insanity seemed the perfect choice for me as I am going on holiday in September and it's enough time for me to complete the programme and feel a bit more confident on the beach - I'm still enjoying it and absolutely do not want to miss a workout and am determined to see it through to the end, I just think my momentum is waining slightly and wondered what other people do if and when they get to that stage of a workout?

This is my first ever go at a DVD workout, I have done bootcamp style classes in the past but nothing as intense. I'll see how I get on for the rest of month one and may take britzzie's advice of doing the first round for a bit longer before I go hell for leather on the 2nd round!

Thanks for your support guys, really appreciate it :)
  • babylemonade
    babylemonade Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I was feeling that same feeling you talked about just a few days ago. What was worse is that my fiance was my motivation because he was doing it with me. So even if I didn't want to, he'd tell me "Come on, we're doing this" but he's got a prolonged back injury and he couldn't work past it so he had to stop doing Insanity with me. So here I was almost three weeks in. Too long into it to give up but still so far from the finish. I was thinking of stopping because he wasn't doing it but I was sick of feeling bad about myself and this very same situation happened last year. I started doing the workout with him and he had to stop, so I did too. I shouldn't have because I gained 40 lbs back.

So when I "hit the wall" this time I said there's no way I'm giving up now. I want my body back and I want my freakin t shirt that says to the world that I'm a badass and I can work the hell out.
  • roodledoodle
    roodledoodle Posts: 183
    Options
    Hi, I've just finished my first round of insanity and went through a phase of feeling how you do BUT just keep going, keep putting those dvd's in and pressing the play button and look forward to your recovery days on the Thursdays and a complete day off from it on the Sundays, keep taking those measurements and try to be positive about the changes you are making. You are doing so well as I personally think for a first fitness DVD this is extremely hard, you have stuck with it even though you were hurting in the first week, which is really hard, but you have kept yourself going so don't give up now. I agree with what others have said, just check you are eating enough as if you aren't then you will feel quite drained.

One bit of advice I would give is to do a couple of extra stretches at the beginning - especially calf stretches as they don't do any of these although you really do use your calves throughout the workout, stretch them at the end along with some shoulder stretches and back stretches, I found this really helped with achy muscles. Or on your day off use a foam roller to get rid of any tension in your muscles, I found this helps a lot.

Also, you're so close to your recovery week so really look forward to that, that should give you a bit of a boost to feel ready to leap into month 2.

I think everybody goes through stages of looking at their body and not feeling happy with it, I think it's normal to be like this, it's when you start obsessing over it that it becomes a problem. Just keep looking at your progress and focus on how much stronger you are feeling.

You're doing extremely well and should be so proud of yourself that you've come so far already.
  • cyndiwilliams1198
    cyndiwilliams1198 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am only at the 2 1/5 week mark with insanity. I Love/Hate it but would never miss a workout. What is your calorie intake and do you drink any kind of recovery drink after the workouts? I have a almond milk with designer whey protein drink after each workout and I make sure to eat enough protein. Keep it up...it's only 60 days and you've done 24 days already(I'm on day 17) that's almost half way through.
  • beckiern1
    beckiern1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start Insanity. I've done 30 day shred, use my elliptical and do weight training. I still don't think I'm quite ready, but I want to do it just to say I have.

Try to remember why you're doing it. As the others said, make sure you're not at too high of a deficit regarding your diet, but I just try to remind myself of my goals and expectations. I don't want to be fat anymore. I want to be toned and look great in heels.

Hope that helps!
  • rolemodel69
    rolemodel69 Posts: 365
    Options
    If you go on Teambeachbody or contact your Beachbody coach he can refer you to Challenge groups and connect you with other people doing the same program so you can support each other and talk about your problem.

Most coach have their group to help people stay motivated and support each other. It is one of the best tool to keep people motivated toward their program.
  • ndnmomma
    ndnmomma Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I've done two rounds of Insanity plus Insanity Asylum, and I am currently doing round three of Insanity. I found my results the first time very frustrating because I just didn't see the scale go down and I didn't feel like my body was changing at all. I seen the most results from week four and especially in the Max phase of the workouts, but the above poster is right you have to eat enough calories or you are going to feel that fatigue. Just stay focused and work towards your goal. I know there were times I felt like I wanted to quit, and just didn't want to do my workout, but when you look at "WHY" you wanted this in the first place, motivation gets a lot easier. Surround yourself with people who motivate and encourage you, and the more the better trust me on that one. It is a lot harder to quit when you have that, and just think of how great you will feel when you overcome that and finish the program. Body image is a very hard mental barrier to break, even I have to fight with that occasionally. I just have a fear of going back to that person I was before, even though I know I won't see that person again because I know what got me there and I have faced those things, it is still a very real fear. You are better than that though, and just the fact your in this program proves you are stronger and better than you were before. Keep digging deep and moving forward, you can do it!