Reverse T3 and Hormone Levels

Options
So frustrated, and feel like crying my eyes out. My doctor told me to increase my calories to 2000, that the human body needs 2000 calories and he doesn't care what diet says what. He told me to increase my exercise from 30min a day to 45. I do 45-60. I struggle with low thyroid function. He says my thyroid levels are good and my inability to lose weight doesn't have anything to do with thyroid. If he gives me more thyroid medication I will have the reverse effect and have the hyper problem. I asked him to check my hormone levels and reverse t3 as both can cause problems with losing weight. He said because my periods are regular there is no reason to check my hormones. He said my reverse T3 is only checked to see if something outside the thyroid is causing a problem like a pituitary problem or acute infection. Anyone with thyroid problems knows you cannot only check TSH, T3 & T4 and call it good. I told him I insist on those tests being run, that something is wrong with my system. I haven't heard back yet, but I am so upset it's hard to wait for his response. I feel like giving up. I've been working hard at this since September. I've lost 16 lbs, but the last month or so it's been up 3-5 lbs from that. I gave up soy and gluten because they are supposed to block thyroid function. I don't know what else to do. I'm just really upset.

I responded to my doctor's reply, letting him know my feelings on having these tests run, but I haven't heard from him yet if he will agree to run them.

I want to seen an endocrinologist, but I can't get into one without a referral. I'm so frustrated I can't think clearly at all.

Replies

• Mandy_SD
    Mandy_SD Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It it were me I would find a new doctor. Just because you have normal periods doesn't mean your hormones are normal. I had regular periods all my life but had very low progesterone levels to the point I wasn't ovulating...no wonder I didn't get pregnant after a year of trying. I was also very fatigued, cold, fuzzy headed and had night sweats. When I got my tests back it revealed low thyroid function and some vitamin deficiency and SERIOUSLY low progesterone. Thyroid and hormones goes hand in hand and if you're already having issues with hypothyroidism it may have affected your hormone levels. I hope you figure it out and start feeling better!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    YES, find a new dr immediately!
  • scrttwtt
    scrttwtt Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi, I definitely think that you need to speak to another doctor, as this one sounds patronizing and mean. He's right that taking more thyroid hormone is not a good idea though. I have been accidentally taking too much for a while, and you have no idea how horrible it is. I feel as though I am going mad, I cannot keep control of my moods, I feel sick and tired but can't sleep. It's horrible, and can make you infertile. It is very dangerous. With regards to eating 2000 calories, that is ridiculous, and obviously not true. Everyone's MBR is different, and people with underactive thyroid particularly have low metabolisms, and need fewer calories.
  • scrttwtt
    scrttwtt Posts: 30
    Options
    P.s. taking more thyroid hormone doesn't make you lose weight all of a sudden, either. It can with some people, but for me, I have just been getting more and more overweight. You need a better doctor, who can tell you how to manage your problems effectively. It's sad that thyroid diseases are largely treated as though they are simple and easy to deal with, when they are really not.
  • MoJoPoe
    MoJoPoe Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Does your health plan allow for a Nutritionist?
  • nutti72
    nutti72 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Find a new doctor. I'm wondering if you have PCOS. I wish everyone could have my doctor who listens. Of course she doesn't automatically pop pills if she thinks changes could be made in diet & exercise. She currently wants me to switch over to a plant based eating plan, her recommendation is "Eat to Live" by Joel Furhman. Granted my thyroid levels are good, but my insulin, & triglycerides are out of whack courtesy of the PCOS. Check with your insurance company my policy provides 6 visits to a nutritionist a year.
  • wisconsinboogie
    wisconsinboogie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues, so I went to a endocrinologist, had all my levels including cortisol checked, my levels where all normal, but, my tsh was 3.4, I told the doc., that I feel the best, and loose weight when Im at about 1-1.9, so he upped me a little, Im feeling better, and my motivation is back, but now Im faced with possible thyroid cancer, due to a 3.9 cm nodule on my rt thyroid....my gp just shrugged it off:grumble: So I see a surgon tomorrow :cry: Feel free to add me for support!