Flexibility

Options
So more recently I've been remembering that my flexibility is something I'd like to work on. I don't really know anything about it, but I've heard yoga is good for flexibility and I was curious if that is the case. I'm currently a homebody exerciser so does anyone know of any good dvds that improve flexibility? I'm doing the 30 Day Shred and plan to try Jillian's other dvds, but I know there's more to the exercise world than Jillian, lol. At some point maybe I'll move up and take classes somewhere.

Replies

• JustBeckyV
    JustBeckyV Posts: 182
    Options
    Yoga definitely helps with flexibility. I love Jillian's Yoga Meltdown but not for beginners. There is always a Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga. I am sure there are tons of other yoga ones but haven't really tried them. Pilates is a a good choice too but it's more movement.
  • pfenixa
    pfenixa Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ah, I don't know anything about pilates either, so I'll have to look into that. I plan on doing Yoga Meltdown, though I have heard it isn't really "yoga", more like she incorporated yoga moves. I hadn't even noticed there was a BL yoga dvd too.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    You don't necisarily need a video to work on flexability. Most of us know a lot of stretches. The key is to not push it too hard and hold the stretches longer. A huge position for me is frog (if you don't know it I'm sure google can help). That position alone has had a big affect on my flexability. I just finished up P90X and my flexability has gone through the roof. I can put my palms on the ground with straight legs, which is rare even for a skinny guy, which I am not. There wasn't a lot of stretching in P90X that I didn't already know, but we held them longer then I was used to.
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Honestly, yoga is a lot harder than people often think it is...or at least it is for me. I would recommend getting a beginner's yoga DVD from Walmart or somewhere, a yoga mat and some yoga blocks. I have the P90X yoga DVD and at this point it's really too advanced for me and my lack of flexibility.

You can also find lots of yoga videos on YouTube if you don't want to buy one.
  • pfenixa
    pfenixa Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    No, I've seen some yoga poses and I know I'd have to start with easy beginner stuff! I know I don't necessarily need a dvd, but I like the idea because I can do it at home and learn from it as I go along. Plus it's a chance to learn more about yoga, pilates, etc, which I'm definitely interested in. If I can put it on my tv then I'll have room to stretch out, there's pretty much no room anywhere else, lol.