Question about Calorie Deficit system

flattsfan22
flattsfan22 Posts: 86 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello, I've been a member here for about a month but I think this is my first post. I'm confused about something. I've noticed that when I add in my foods it calculates my calories but when I add excercise to the same day it allows me to eat more calories. Should I be aiming to eat the new adjusted calorie rate or stay within my original goal of calories consumed for the day? I've been staying within the original goal, working out every day, and I weighed in this morning to find that I gained two pounds. I'm confused why this isn't working for me. If anyone can give me some advice I would appreciate it. Thanks

Replies

• sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    I always eat my exercise calories.. if I don't, then I may stumble below the recommended 1200 calories/day. You may be doing this which is why you are gaining weight. If your body doesn't get enough energy then it will go into starvation mode. To avoid this, make sure that your total calories on your food diary equals at least 1200 calories.

Try eating some of your exercise calories, I think you will find that it is better for weight loss.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,064 Member
    Without being able to see your diary, I can only guess that a few things are going on.

1. You are underconsuming. This is a debate on the site. The site recommends that you eat your calories back after exercise. Some people don't and lose. Personally, I don't eat them all back. My baseline calorie goal is about 1400 so with 900 calories a week from exercise, I do some days and don't others. I typically try and eat back about 50% of what the exercise calories are. I find the exercises on here aren't right for me - probably not working at the right intensity to consider it truly burning that much. When I eat them all back consistently, I gain. Some days it's a godsend though and if I know I'm going to be over calories, I'll exercise until I meet the deficit. Even with this though, if you asked for 1lb/week loss, the tool calculates 500 less than your body puts out (before exercise). 3500 calories less/week = 1lb of fat lost. If you go too low though consistently your body will start holding on to the fat stores you have (starvation mode).

2. You aren't drinking enough water. People sometimes mark things other than water as their water for the day. Usually I find that if I am close to my sodium goal 2500, I'll tend to start holding on to water. On a daily basis I try aim for 10 glasses of water a day and the rest of it on top of that. If my sodium is a little high, I'll go for 2 more, just to be safe.
  • When I started exercising I also gained a couple of pounds. I was told this was
    increased muscle weight. Muscle weighs more than fat. Another reason not to get
    too obsessed with the scales. I also weigh and measure everything I eat. I found I
    was way off on my portions.

I have only lost 5 pounds since June. But my clothes fit better and I have lost
    inches. I am very thankful to this site for getting me started on the right track.
    I was ahgast at how much carbs I was suppose to eat. I finally did it and found my general health is much better. No more constipation. :)

I had my physical yesterday and had blood work. Comparing it to 2 years ago when
    I was 20 pounds heavier it was amazing I think. My cholesterol dropped from
    210 to 180. My LDL from 139 to 116. My triglycerides were 73. All my blood work
    and blood pressure were in normal range. (No medications)

I concentrate on one day at a time. Patience is the key. I love eating this way
    and don't feel deprified. My whole outlook on life has changed for the better.
    Judy
  • flattsfan22
    Wow thank you all for your replies. I didn't expect to hear from you all so soon, that is so helpful. I did notice that the calories burned it calculates for me seems a little high. I will aim to eat about half of my calories back. I do tend to get a little obesessed with the number on the scale. I've been meaning to take my measurements so I can focus on that instead. I will do that soon. I do know that even if I don't lose a single pound I feel much better, my energy level has sky rocketed and I no longer feel deprived of anything. Thank you all for you responses. :)
  • flattsfan22
    Another thing I've noticed is that now that I'm drinking lots more water, I have to use the restroom about every 20 minutes or so. Is that normal?
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Yes :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Yes, MFP has already figured out how many calories you need to eat to lose weight so any extra calories you burn, you must eat as well. And yes to the water. Your body will get used to it and you won't pee as much but that's normal.
This discussion has been closed.