Too Much Protein or Fiber??

Options
Hi all,

Just wondering if having more protein and fiber than the food tracker has as the "daily goal" is bad?
I almost always go over protein and fiber (as I've been told they are good for weight loss).

I guess just wondering if the "daily goal" is the most you should have or the minimum?

any input would be great

-M

Replies

• psykins
    psykins Posts: 76
    Options
    For protein/fiber, pretty sure it's the min! You should be aiming to reach those goals, and I don't worry too much about going over (I do worry about going over on carbs - yesterday had too much pastry involved o.0).
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Fiber doesn't add calories. It is mostly for digestive regularity. Protein kind of depends on your current weight. I think for an active person it is OK to be at 1g/pound of body weight. I think it is .5grams/pound if you are sedentary. Don't quote me on it but those numbers are ballpark plus each individual is a little different.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Protein counts are low on here unless you customize them.

Fiber going over can cause digestive issues. Most people should get 25-30 grams a day for regularity. again, MOST PEOPLE. I can only have between 15-20 for medical reasons.
  • MooseKnuckle5
    Options
    Fiber and protein are pretty much the more you have, the better. The macro MFP has for protein is usually set low anyways so ALWAYS try and go over your protein number.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    The protein levels set by MFP are low - you should try to get them to a 1:1 ratio of protein to lean mass. And too much fiber you might fart a lot and/or get the scoots.
  • nitenichiryu
    Options
    Fiber doesn't add calories. It is mostly for digestive regularity. Protein kind of depends on your current weight. I think for an active person it is OK to be at 1g/pound of body weight. I think it is .5grams/pound if you are sedentary. Don't quote me on it but those numbers are ballpark plus each individual is a little different.

Soluble fiber equates to 4cal/g in US nutrition labels (though, probably give less as energy once fully processed). Fiber is a carbohydrate.
  • missmissica
    missmissica Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE!
  • markhowie
    markhowie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My diet requires 35-50% or more daily intake of Proteins (Fish or Birds) with moderate low fat dairy (for fat excretion. Studies show that those who introduce low fat Dairy into their diet, excrete 2X the amount of fat, than those who do not.) Fish and Bird Protein has a chemical that turns off the neurotransmitter in the brain that craves sugar/ carbohydrates.

I eat as much carbs as I want, it just that I want less now. Average loss=3-5lbs a week.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    My diet requires 35-50% or more daily intake of Proteins (Fish or Birds) with moderate low fat dairy (for fat excretion. Studies show that those who introduce low fat Dairy into their diet, excrete 2X the amount of fat, than those who do not.) Fish and Bird Protein has a chemical that turns off the neurotransmitter in the brain that craves sugar/ carbohydrates.

I eat as much carbs as I want, it just that I want less now. Average loss=3-5lbs a week.

3-5 lbs per week?
    [insert Willy Wonka meme pic here]
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have had to customize my protein because it is set WAY too low on here.