Strength Training at home...

Options
I haven't started lifting weights yet but I want to!

I'm looking for 'at home' ideas/workouts that can get me started on the lifting path.

I don't have a weight bench or anything like that, but I'd still like to start somewhere...Any thoughts? :)

If anyone has links, compilations, charts, lifting routines or any plan of attack for a newbie..I'd really appreciate it.

TIA

Replies

• zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    I was directed to youtube by members here and my big sis who lifts. theres plenty of videos that shows you how to lift with just a barbell or dumbbells there. I found it very helpful!
  • cavanerwifey
    cavanerwifey Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will look into YouTube.

Any suggestions as to what to buy to get started?

Kettleballs?
    Dumbbells?

Also, I'm a big girl...but I am not strong (yet). How do I know what weights to start with? This is embarrassing, I just feel like I know nothing about lifting weights. LOL

Are there better types of dumbbells than others? Should I stay away from a certain piece of equipment or are there any "must haves?"

What about resistant bands? Do they play a part in strength training and should I get one...

Obviously, I know something is better than what I'm currently doing...nothin'

I would just like to get started the right way. :D

Any one who lifts and wouldn't mind an amateur in their midst, please friend me.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will look into YouTube.

Any suggestions as to what to buy to get started?

Kettleballs?
    Dumbbells?

Also, I'm a big girl...but I am not strong (yet). How do I know what weights to start with? This is embarrassing, I just feel like I know nothing about lifting weights. LOL

Are there better types of dumbbells than others? Should I stay away from a certain piece of equipment or are there any "must haves?"

What about resistant bands? Do they play a part in strength training and should I get one...

Obviously, I know something is better than what I'm currently doing...nothin'

I would just like to get started the right way. :D

Any one who lifts and wouldn't mind an amateur in their midst, please friend me.

I'm just starting with strength training myself. I'm working out at home using http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Start with that. If you're like me and mostly sedentary for the past who knows how long, that'll be enough to keep you occupied for a couple weeks ;-) I'd also look into Stronglifts and New Rules of Lifting for Women. I wish I had the links to the groups for you.

Regarding weight size, I'd recommend starting low and adding as you go. You don't want to start too high and injure yourself. For now, I'm using 10 lb weights on some of the exercises from the nerdfitness link. As I start to feel those are too easy, I can move up to 15, then 20, etc. Stay away from machines ... most everyone will tell you that they will not give you the best results. Free weights are the way to go

Feel free to add me. All the best!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises - pushup, pullups, dips, planks, squats, lunges, etc. Google "bodyweight exercises". You can add weight to some by wearing a backpack with books, cans, etc. in it. Or holding bottles or jugs filled with water.

Resistance bands are also a cheap way to increase resistance.
  • cavanerwifey
    Options
    Body weight exercises - pushup, pullups, dips, planks, squats, lunges, etc. Google "bodyweight exercises". You can add weight to some by wearing a backpack with books, cans, etc. in it. Or holding bottles or jugs filled with water.

Resistance bands are also a cheap way to increase resistance.

Great idea, I didn't even consider 200+ pounds I'm carrying around! Thanks for bringing that to light.
  • cavanerwifey
    Options

I'm just starting with strength training myself. I'm working out at home using http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Start with that. If you're like me and mostly sedentary for the past who knows how long, that'll be enough to keep you occupied for a couple weeks ;-) I'd also look into Stronglifts and New Rules of Lifting for Women. I wish I had the links to the groups for you.

Regarding weight size, I'd recommend starting low and adding as you go. You don't want to start too high and injure yourself. For now, I'm using 10 lb weights on some of the exercises from the nerdfitness link. As I start to feel those are too easy, I can move up to 15, then 20, etc. Stay away from machines ... most everyone will tell you that they will not give you the best results. Free weights are the way to go

Feel free to add me. All the best!

Consider yourself added! :D Thanks!
  • jrompola
    jrompola Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I haven't started lifting weights yet but I want to!

I'm looking for 'at home' ideas/workouts that can get me started on the lifting path.

I don't have a weight bench or anything like that, but I'd still like to start somewhere...Any thoughts? :)

If anyone has links, compilations, charts, lifting routines or any plan of attack for a newbie..I'd really appreciate it.

TIA

See bodybuilding.com

They have links showing you the form for most moves and have free schedules.

If you're looking for cheap equipment check craigslist
  • badgergrrl
    badgergrrl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Check out the book (and app) Body by You - it details all kinds of exercises that body weight exercises for women.
  • Bouneschlupp
    Bouneschlupp Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you want to try out bodyweight exercises I would like to draw your attention to the fact that there are several apps called "7" which show you some exercises.
  • hammbone55
    hammbone55 Posts: 73
    Options
    I got a 4 DVD workout set by Bob Harper. It has Total Trainer Plus, Ultimate Cardio body, Cardio Conditioning and Pure Burn Super Strength. All 4 DVD's have two workouts on them and all of them include strength training although he also incorporates cardio into them. I got it for $12 at Target. I have slowing been buying hand weights over the years. I started with a set of 2lb and 5lbs weights and since then I have purchased 10lb and 12lb weights. I would start with small weights and move up when they seem like they are too easy. I have yet to buy kettle bells, but they are definitely on my list of things to buy, but if you have a heavy weight like a 10 or 12lb weight you can just hold it differently to use it like a kettle bell. I do better when I follow someone else's instruction so I have several DVD's. I have P90X which is pretty hardcore. Jillian Michaels 30 day shred - short and sweet, but hard. Just some suggestions if you wanted to go the DVD route. :)
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    I have just started strength training and am interested to read everyones advice, I have done 30 day stred and follow several people on youtube