newbie here - can anyone tell me straight how to do this!!!

Options
hi, I have two stone to lose and I really need some advice...I always give up diets after about 3 days and think 'oh sod it!' but I want ths time to be different. how do I keep at it? any tips much appreciated! thanks!!

Replies

• spmcavoy1
    spmcavoy1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You really just have to want it. Losing weight isn't about a diet, it's about a concerted effort for a lifestyle change.
  • psykins
    psykins Posts: 76
    Options
    Don't think of it as a diet. It's not a diet - it's a lifestyle change. That might sound daunting, but changing your eating habits, exercise habits, and the way you think about food is the only way that you're going to keep the weight off long-term.

A page that really seems to help a lot of people (including me) figure out what this whole food/exercise/weight relationship is really about can be found here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12. Set reasonable goals for yourself, don't give up because of one bad day, and don't expect the weight to come off all at once - if you're doing it right, it won't.

I also suggest getting some friends on MFP to encourage you! You can add me if you'd like.
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I could go into detail but other have said it already too clearly to ignore.
    Here is a post I wish I saw my first week. This is great guide for things MFP should guide someone through and doesn't. Great read it will change the way you diet and pull you out of the yo to dieting rut

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as a diet. It's not a diet - it's a lifestyle change. That might sound daunting, but changing your eating habits, exercise habits, and the way you think about food is the only way that you're going to keep the weight off long-term.

A page that really seems to help a lot of people (including me) figure out what this whole food/exercise/weight relationship is really about can be found here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12. Set reasonable goals for yourself, don't give up because of one bad day, and don't expect the weight to come off all at once - if you're doing it right, it won't.

I also suggest getting some friends on MFP to encourage you! You can add me if you'd like.
    Your punctuation after the web adress is affecting the link forwarding to a true page

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I fixed the link
    *i fixed it, I fixed the Buntcake
  • psykins
    psykins Posts: 76
    Options
    Ah, thanks!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    There's some good advice above, and I agree that it's something you have to want. You won't find spare motivation lurking below your couch cushions or stuffed in a junk drawer. You have to pull it up from inside of yourself. You have to believe you can do it and know that you want it.

You need to set goals that are attainable and fit your lifestyle. Don't push too hard right away. Pick an exercise routine you like, not the hardest, most impossible routine out there. Even something as simple as a 30 minute walk will do you good. Set a reasonable calorie goal and don't cut out all the foods you love. A lot of them will still fit in your diet if you can manage to eat them in moderation. Give yourself rest days. And accept that you'll have bad days. Pick yourself up afterward and keep going! You can't let them stop you.

When I started my journey I set a goal of 1700 calories and 20 minutes of exercise 6 days a week. I chose exercises like Richard Simmons' Sweatin' to the Oldies and Bellydancing for Fitness. I needed something that was a little ridiculous so that I wouldn't take it too seriously. I bought a cheap day planner and gave myself a sticker for every day that I stuck to my goals. This gave me a quick way to see if I was cheating too often and let me give myself a little reward every day that I hit my goals. Maybe that's something that will work for you and maybe not. But the point is to find little changes that will help you stick to it. Even if they seem silly.
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    hiya newbie,

it all boils down to Mental fortitude

the reason you've quit in the past so quickly and might do so again is because you just didn't want it bad enough. It's easy to quit something you're not passionate about.

once you get into the right mindset, then you'll have the ability to go at it for the long haul

it's a marathon, not a sprint

all the best to you
  • MooseKnuckle5
    Options
    As everyone says, you have to want it bad enough. For exercise motivation, just get up and get dressed in your workout clothes. This at least puts you in the mindset of "Well, I'm dressed for it, may as well do something"
  • jemima1973
    Options
    oh thank you, all, this is soooo helpful!!

I do exercise 2-3 times a week...do I need to up that amount?

also, I always come unstuck with wine...can I work it into the daily calories and still lose? thanks
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Ease into it reducing your calories from maintenance down to the rate you want to lose at in stages otherwise going from overeating to undereating in one go might leave you feeling deprived and unable to cope on the calories.

Set yourself mini goals and rewards and keep it fixed in your mind why you want this.

Don't let yourself get so hungry that you're tempted to quit. Cut down on calorie dense foods and fill up on healthy foods and exercise for the extra calories for treats!
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    oh thank you, all, this is soooo helpful!!

I do exercise 2-3 times a week...do I need to up that amount?

also, I always come unstuck with wine...can I work it into the daily calories and still lose? thanks

Unstuck? Did you mean you drink copious amounts of wine? I don't know this expression.

Wine in small amounts is good for your heart and gives you some great tannins and antioxidant properties (RED wine).

However, if you're drinking a LOT of wine, my advice would be to work on stopping the excessive drinking first, before you try to fix your body.
  • jemima1973
    Options
    hmmm, think I always want a glass or 2 of wine in the evening but then when I do, my willpower goes out the window and I grab unheaalthy snacks too etc
  • baristagirl7
    baristagirl7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Everyone's advise is so good:) You just need to be ready for a life style change. And don't think you will change over night. It will take some time and don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day here and there. Know that you just get up fresh the next day and strive for better. And excersize as much as you can! You're body is capable of so much more then you think.

The worst part is the mind games we all play on ourselves. So my advice is to pick up a personal development book you really really like and live in the NOW not the future. What we do right now is the most important.

MOST OF ALL BE HAPPY< LOVE YOURSELF and You will reach your goal!
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given great ideas. You need to want it. But, if it is to overwhelming one thing to do is cut out one thing at a time. Such, as when I first started I cut out soda completely out of my diet. Then I started eating more salads, and then exercising almost every day.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    hmmm, think I always want a glass or 2 of wine in the evening but then when I do, my willpower goes out the window and I grab unheaalthy snacks too etc

Unpopular advice but you're probably best restricting alcohol to once or twice a week otherwise you'll be using up valuable calories you need to be eating.
  • jemima1973
    Options
    no, waterbunnie, that's what I need to hear!!