any little tips?

Options
So I am trying to do small things so that I'm not so overwhelmed. First is no soda. much easier said than done, but it's not alot to ask. I will reward myself OCCASIONALLY with a twisted tea which to me wil be so worth it! ;) /trading junk for fruit is another thing I'm working on, but it's proving much harder. Anyone have any other little tips??

Replies

• droppinlbslikeangels
    Options
    I've cut out soda without even trying! I've been drinking so much water I can't even think about having anything else to drink.

What I do is set 5 water bottles up on my dresser in the morning, and by evening have them be all gone. It's really helped a lot.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    "Just the Tip" is not effective nor desirable.
  • hammbone55
    hammbone55 Posts: 73
    Options
    Simple small changes...

*take the stairs instead of the elevator
    *park far away from the door in the parking lot to make you walk more
    *always carry healthy snacks with you so you're not tempted to buy gas station junk or fast food (apple, 1 ounce cashews etc...)
    *Drink 8 ounces of water right away when you wake up in the morning.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i like to eat. but often my portions are too big.

i learned to trick myself, i guess. i used to eat 2-3 big servings of pasta out of big bowls. i substituted smaller bowls, that hold about half of what i used to eat. i still go for seconds, or even thirds... but now it's still half of what i used to eat.
  • mountaingirl1961
    mountaingirl1961 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Measure. Everything.

Journal. Everything.

After a while it becomes a game, and your diary's the scorecard.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Clean out your cupboards and throw away all the junk food so it doesn't tempt you any more. And then don't buy more!
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    I had to taper down my soda. Could not completely cut it out else I went crazy. I used to drink 2 a day and now I am down to like 1 a month. I simple don't crave it anymore. I find that quest bars and shakeology help me with cravings.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    if you like onions, dice and sautee them in cooking spray (pam, etc) and use sauteed onions instead of butter or margarine on veggies. Saves a ton of calories!
  • brendadale1
    brendadale1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I dont buy pringles at ALL anymore, the reason being, I will eat the entire container at one sitting..SOOO I LEARNED TO SAY NO!:)
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I don't keep ready-made 'snacks' on hand. If there is preparation involved, I am less likely to mindlessly eat.

I cook all my meals from scratch as much as possible. No take-out, no store bought frozen dinners, no boxed/bagged sides. I generally shop the perimeter of the store (produce and meat).

I make/bring my own lunches to work. No fast food.

I don't over-restrict myself, I eat healthy home-cooked meals 80% of the time and when social events/holidays/celebrations/cravings come up, I enjoy them. Otherwise, I'm more likely to binge. I make-up for overages later in the week my reducing calories a little more one day or exercising more.

You are correct in doing in steps. You are working toward a healthy lifestyle, not a temporary diet. Consistent Exercise, Proper Nutrition and Adequate Rest are key. Congrats on taking the first steps and good luck to you.

Good threads for future info:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    My biggest tip would be try to keep it simple. Eat the food you like, and fit it into your nutritional goals. Make whichever changes are important to you, but gradually, being sure that they are things you can live with long term. Don't cut things out just because other people are or you think you should because you're "dieting". Pay attention to your food diary; if you want to change your diet, it will happen over time. I decided I didn't want to cut anything out, but just by paying attention to my diary, I eat a lot better than I did 18 months ago. It's happened quite naturally over time. Aim for progress, not perfection.

For help with portion control - try pre-logging what you eat to see how it fits into your daily intake.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    When exercising, start with something you can actually enjoy. Make working out FUN. Try things like Zumba/dance, elliptical, walking, swimming aerobics, etc. :)

Swap heavy dressings for vinaigrettes. Saves on calories and still very tasty. Salsa is also really awesome on salads! 10-20 calories per tablespoon.

Swap white bread for whole wheat! Nothing is inherently wrong with white, but the whole wheat is broken down a little easier.

Water, water, water. If you can't stand plain water, take slow steps. Do seltzer water with flavoring, plain water with flavoring, plain water with just lemon/lime juice or "infused" waters, then just go straight water.

Swap fast food for quick dishes/make ahead foods at home. Keep easy, portable stuff at hand so you can grab and go.

TREAT YOURSELF! Never, ever beat yourself for going a little "over" on occasion. Focus on your weekly calorie goals, not mostly on daily. Plan/save calories for one or two fun meals on a day of your choosing and ENJOY yourself.

Try In Place Of A Roadmap! It's an awesome approach to weight loss: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013 This way, you don't hyper-focus on calories earned/burned and eat at the proper level for your activity level.

Incorporate strength training! You will not bulk up. You will look lean and toned. Look into Chalean Extreme, Stronglifts 5x5, or New Rules Of Lifting For Women.

Don't focus entirely on what your scale says! Measure yourself after each weigh in to figure out inches lost. Realize that your weight will fluctuate, thus weighing once every 1-2 weeks is a better option. Realize that weight loss is slow, gaining muscle will 'cancel' the weight loss at times, and STICK WITH IT!

Don't eliminate the foods you love! Moderation is key.

Don't go all or nothing! Focus on a lifestyle change, not a complete overhaul. Don't get upset if you have an 'off' day or so. Don't focus on being "motivated." Make your routine a FORCE OF HABIT!

You can do this. Good luck.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Don't bring your trigger foods in the house. If you MUST have them. Eat them while you're out.
  • Marylisssy
    Marylisssy Posts: 25
    Options
    Excellent idea!!!
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    When I find myself falling into mindless eating or a craving, I brush my teeth. Something about it makes me think that I am done eating for the day.
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    Be patient.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Agree with others:

Invest in a digital food scale that clearly shows grams. That way you are using the most accurate means necessary to know what's going inside your body! Measuring cups and spoons are not nearly as accurate as they seem.

Though this isn't a popular belief with some people, DON'T over focus on your macronutrients. Just ensure you're trying to hit that protein/fat goal, and keep your sodium/sugar as low as possible so your body doesn't 'bloat.'

If you're over on carbs and sugar, but it's mostly from fruits and veggies...I think you're allowed to pat yourself on the back. :flowerforyou:

PLEASE don't invest in fad diets/plans/pills. Proper foods and exercise are KEY.

Don't focus so much on "CLEAN"/good-"DIRTY"/bad food. True, whole or raw foods are excellent for you and your body...but I wholeheartedly agree that no foods should be shamed and dismissed just because they're not 'perfect.'

Good luck OP!
  • pkbryant28
    pkbryant28 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I cut carrots and celery into perfect little snack size strips and keep them in a little bowl of water on the fridge shelf and I find while I am standing there staring into the fridge trying to figure out what I want, I will tend to grab one of those without even thinking.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    "Just the Tip" is not effective nor desirable.

ever.