Workout Boredom

Options
I am a very very very inconstant worker-outer, I am sure this is not a new topic, but I wanted to illustrate what I do, why I stop doing it and then would appreciate any helpful suggestions :)

I have had a gym membership and the gym is great; it is very rarely crowded, offers lots of classes and the people who attend range from the super buff to the little old lady in a head band. I go to this gym solid for about 2 weeks to a month for about 2 to 3 times a week. Then after that initial rush of motivation I stop going; life gets busy, work gets busy, but mostly I get so sick and tired of going to the gym. So what now? How do I get re-motivated? I've tried taking different classes, which I've enjoyed, but get tired of. I've tried the buddy system (which almost makes it harder because if my buddy isn’t motivated then I think its ok for me not to be motivated). I’ve hired a personal trainer that has never ended well. Sometimes I take a break from the gym, but I know my workouts outside of the gym aren’t very good, that and the city I live in is getting close to the 100s so working out outside after work is brutal. I know some of you will suggest waking up early and exercising then, but that lasts about oh... one day. I have never been a successful morning person, I've had a day job for 8 years and I still struggle to get to work by 8 am. My new approach is workout DVDs, I bought a few different ones in hopes that the convince and variety will help me work out more consistently.

So the nuts and bolts of it is, what will help to stay motivated? What do you do? How to you, day in and day out, find the audacity to work out. Oh, and I am getting married in 2 months which you would think would be the ultimate mental motivation to lose weight, which I thought it would be too, but then I find that I shrug and say I am what I am.

Replies

• justmeg86
    justmeg86 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have some of the same issues. In the summer it's too hot by the time I get off work to do any real exercising outside, and even though I am a morning person I can't get myself to get up to exercise. If I get up early I usually do things like laundry and dishes so I don't have to do them when I get home! I go to the gym pretty regularly 3-4 days a week. I used to get there about 5 but that motivation went out the window about 9 months ago. I do sometimes get "bored" at the gym, which is why on days it's not as busy I try new things. I try different things with dumb bells instead of using the weight machines, I do some different cardio than normal, I just kind of switch things up. It usually helps. I also have workout videos at home but get bored of standing in front of my TV listening to the annoying people on them so have only done the 2 I have 2-3 times each. I also know that if I don't get to the gym right after work it's not going to happen, so if I have something going on and can't get there after work I resort to a bike ride or a walk outside which is also a nice switch from the gym!

Good luck with finding what motivates YOU!!!
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    For me--I do as many different things as I can. And I don't make excuses...if it is a day to workout--I am going to find a burn NO MATTER WHAT! I bike, swim, Do HIIT training while traveling, HIIT classes at the gym, lift weights, zumba...and I like the social aspect of the gym too! I have a group of girls I have gotten to know over the last couple of years. That helps to see friendly faces!

It really comes down to investing your time into your body--no one else is going to do it for you--you have to do it for you. For me, I am worth it. I like feeling the accomplishment of doing a set of burpees WITH tuck jumps better than people half my age. I like being able to keep up with my kids!

My advice? Make an appointment with yourself 3 times a week. Keep the appointment. And like Nike said--just do it!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You have to love what you do and it has to make you feel alive and happy. If it's just ho-hum, no wonder you'd rather do laundry or dishes.
  • DaveFassett
    DaveFassett Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I sign up for a race or event of some sort to give myself a "date" I have to prepare for.

I also do my workouts at home, and use the time to watch movies :)
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Invest in a Fitbit or similar pedometer tracker. It gives me lots of incentive to do things that involve a lot of walking, that's for sure.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Set independent fitness goals...then perform the kinds of exercises that help you meet those fitness goals. It's not really boring when you're actually working towards a goal...it sucks when you're just doing it for the "burn"...and also completely unnecessary in that RE.

I like to sign up for races and other competitive events...it provides a purpose to my training and a method to the madness because each event is going to require me to train a little differently and work on different aspects of fitness. If I was just doing it for the "burn" or pure vanity, I would have quit a long time ago I'm sure. Vanity is generally a piss poor motivator.
  • alysiafresh
    alysiafresh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I had a gym membership, I went EVERY DAY. I realize some people burn out from something like this, but going EVERY DAY kept me in the habit of going. There was no "oh, I shoot for 3 days a week, so I can just go tomorrow" excuse. It was always every day on my way home from work. It worked really well for me, but when I got the flu and stopped for a while I ended up never going back because I got out of the habit.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I thnk it's good that you are gong for variety. I too get bored doing the same things all the time, even if it's something I enjoy. I constantly switch it up.

But still there are times that feels like a chore. I hate chores, but chores are something that needs done. So is exercise. Sometimes I just do it and hate it. Some days I'm counting every minute till it's over. Some days I enjoy it.

I recently completed Turbo Fire and would suggest it as a good DVD. It's definitely an intense workout, but also fun. And even on the days it isn't fun, it moves so fast you don't have time to think about it. And on the HIIT workouts I spend too much effort trying not to die to worry about how much I don't want to do it.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I would say that you are doing what you can to make it work for you(switching from a gym to videos). Now, all you have to do is just do it! Don't allow yourself to make excuses. Don't try and start by working out 5 days a week. Start small! I currently do classes at my gym and take a variety of classes. I like the social aspect of it and I feel like if I can get myself there, then I will stay:) Its like an appointment. I guess you can do the same with your videos at home. I was recently out of town for two weeks and I used exercise videos off of youtube. I made myself a schedule. My husband thought it was funny:) I did something different every day for one week and then repeated it the second week. I guess it take motivation and stick-to-it-ness whether you do it at home or in a gym. The benefits are wonderful. Exercise makes me feel better and I feel so much stronger. It of course is also helping with my calorie deficit as I lose weight.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Online friends. I have the best group of mommy friends (we all have kids about the same age, we met through an online mommy website for our childrens age group) on FB that keep me going every day and bring me back to reality if/when life gets hectic and I start to lose steam. We share inspirational quotes, pictures of our success, our workout routines, recipes, meal plans, etc. With their help I have lost over 50 lbs this year and together we have lost about 400lbs total! If you can start an online group with real life friends you know or people with similar goals and commit yourself to checking in with them maybe it'll help. They have private groups on here too but I don't find them as helpful or convenient as my group that was created on FB. But check them out, maybe it'll work for you.
    Remember, you are the only one that can control your actions. You have to hold yourself accountable and ask yourself every day if you want it bad enough to commit.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I'm going to suggest you spend some time thinking about what it is you want to accomplish. Working out just for the sake of working out is going to get old in a hurry. Do you have a weight-loss goal? A fat-loss goal? Trying to gain strength? Trying to be a faster runner/cyclist or train for a race? Figure out what you want to do, and then research the most effective ways to get there for YOU, based on your lifestyle, your schedule, etc.

Motivation comes from the desire to achieve a goal. If you don't have a goal, you're not going to achieve anything but some calorie burns.
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have a couple different workout programs that i really like and will change them up every once in a while to keep things fresh... variety is the spice of life!!

btw i second the TurboFire idea.
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You lose motivation if you are just "working out" for the sake of working out. Developing fitness goals that you can strive to achieve is a much better way to stay focused and have some sort of solid structure physically and mentally when walking into the gym.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    That's because you're just working out. Working out is boring. I don't do it.

I get cardio by going outside and having fun. I play tennis and mountain bike and stuff like that. The fact that I enjoy those things keeps me doing them.

I get in strength training by *training*. Not just "working out." I do a freeweight program with a fixed monthly progression. The goal is to increase strength so I can put more weight on the bar. If I miss a workout it screws up my whole progression and hampers my actual goal.

That's what keeps me going to the gym to lift: being able to put more iron on the barbell.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I was you when I was in my early 20's. I was fairly fit, but mostly thin and I had guys after me like crazy and went out dancing every night so I didn't 'think' I needed to work out so much. I was busy with University and my boyfriend, at the time, when I had time I would do tae-bo at home and I loved it. I got gym memberships and did classes and got bored.

FINALLY - what hit me. I moved to Toronto, went to Newfoundland for 5 weeks and put on 15-20lbs. I came back, my mom who is a very sweet woman said to me "Stephanie, you put on a lot of weight." I went from about 140lbs to almsot 160lbs (black dress in my profile pics). When I had moved to Toronto, I was about 135lbs. I gained 5lbs in the first 4 months of living there and another 20lbs after going away. I was devistated with what had happened to me. I was always a bit chubby in my waist, but never that big. I always ranged from 135lbs to 143lbs all during highschool and my early 20's.

Anyway... I started going to the gym and I refused to give up until AT LEAST 20lbs was gone and I knew it would take a lot of hard work and dedication. I was fairly athletic before, so, I knew I could be again. Vanity was the kicker. I was single and wanted a good looking guy!

I dated so many professional athletes and personal trainers and worked out with them and had fun - that helped, haha. I still wasn't happy. I then met an amazing man and I was about 153lbs when we met. We have been together over 2 years and he's really into fitness. He's not a professional or a personal trainer, but he's very motivating and he plays a lot of footie (futbol). Since I've met him I've lost about 20lbs. I've succeeded in my first fitness goal 17.2% body fat (probably lower now, this was a month ago) and I couldn't be happier! I'm now working on toning my abs and having the definition since I already have it in my arms and legs.

I look in the mirror, and today was a perfect example, and I say "Holy *kitten* I look hot! Man that's amazing! How did I do this?"

I constantly visualize myself with the body I want and I'm getting there, slowly at first, but now that I'm watching what I put into my body and make sure I am consistent with logging my foods and working out minimum 4 days a week, I see the changes, I feel SO AWESOME and people at the gym are asking me "How do you do it?" I smile and say "I work my f*cking *kitten* off is how!"

There is no excuse that "I don't have time" or "This is boring"... you're not challenging yourself. You need to find YOUR FITNESS what YOU ENJOY. I enjoy spinning, I don't do it anymore because my body is immune to it after 4 years. I also enjoy lifting weights, I lacked on that for a while and started to lift a lot more in the past month. I pop in my music and I go. I also love Shred, it's a Jillian Michaels inspired workout at my gym. I actually had to help teach it today because the instructor was injured and she knows how well I do in the class.

All of these things, the good feeling, the being recognized, looking amazing and healthy - THAT'S why I keep doing it.
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I sign up for a race or event of some sort to give myself a "date" I have to prepare for.

I also do my workouts at home, and use the time to watch movies :)

This! I am the same way. I get bored with my routine after about a month and then I need a change or I will stop going. I promise you my LA fitness membership has been on hold for almost a year now! But now that I've started training for a race it's a totally different story. Now I know if I skip a workout that's one less day I have to prepare for my race which means that I may not be prepared to run and not finishing this race is not an option. So that's my motivation to keep myself active. On my non run days I do zumba or lift weights, or swim. So there is enough variety in my training to keep me engaged.

I also love looking at old pictures of me or trying on old clothes that I couldn't get in before and try getting them on. That's a huge motivator for me. I don't even own a scale because I don't want to get caught up in how much I weigh. The only reason why I weigh myself is so I can have MFP calculate my goals accurately. That's it. Otherwise I become obsessed and overwhelmed and that also leads to a lack of motivation ("I'm killing myself in the gym and I've only lost a pound. Whoa is me. Blah Blah Blah).

So yea sign up for a race or an obstacle race, or a triathlon. Something that working towards may help your slump.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    When I'm working: Each night, I pick out my clothes and my workout dvd, and go ahead and put it in the player. I set my alarm 1 hour early, get up and do the dvd first thing, before I can change my mind. It helps me wake up and feel energized for the day. Also, I have accomplished something by 6am. No matter how the rest of the day goes, I did something! I also try to hit the gym after work, doing treadmill or weights on alternate days. Everyday is a different workout, so I'm not bored.

When not working: I kinda do the same thing, except I don't do the dvd 1st thing. I work on the computer first, then workout or walk dogs. I try to stay busy, or go to the pool and swim. I don't have access to the gym during the summer, so I got some heavier dumbbells to use at home.

How do I stay motivated? The scale and my clothes. I am happy to have lost what is gone and want it to stay away! I want my new clothes to fit. I would hate to gain the weight back and have to put away my tiny clothes. I want to feel good about myself, and working out makes me feel good.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Tasks get done with the time allotted-- write out a week or day

Better yet, write down everything you do for a week in 20 minute intervals--get off the couch and move will pop right out at you--

Goals write them down

Training or working out--meaning specific or not

purpose gives meaning, variety helps, online sites like this help

find what you love to do physically, swim, kayak, walk, jog, frisbee, lift heavy stuff, light light stuff often, move and keep moving

Goals look up SMART and use this acronym to set a specific goal and work toward it

Why are you still reading this? Go on...your body and goals are waiting.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I love my workout DVDs ...... re: boredom

Netflix by mail offers hundreds of workout DVDs ..... I had a subscription for several months. It was great getting a new workout DVD every week.

I used collagevideo.com to "preview" weekly Netflix rentals. It's amazing the number of workout styles (and instructor styles) out there. Previewing DVDs helped keep the duds to a minimum. Yes, there were still duds, but I figured out what I liked. DVDs I decided to purchase had zero "dread" factor for me.

You have to find out clicks for you. If I dislike the instructor or if the backgrounder exercisers are "look at me" ... then I "dread" doing the workout.

My excuse proof DVDs are Leslie Sansone Walk at Home ..... it doesn't matter if it's snowing outside ..... I can still plug in a DVD. These are so basic I can adapt them ..... use them as is, add weights, use a rebounder (more like jogging but low impact) use my own music, whatever.

Keep looking new workout options ..... you just need to find "your thing."
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I do what I like, for fun. Whether it's yoga, hula hooping, swimming, tree climbing, belly dancing or playing on the jungle gym. I enjoy. Find something you love to do and look at it as playing. :)