1200 calories?

Options
:drinker: Ok my target in order to lose weight is 1200 calories a day. Is this normal? I find it exteremly hard to try to maintain this daily calorie intake. Anyone else have this? If so what do you try to do to keep it up!?!

Replies

• adelehj
    adelehj Posts: 16
    Options
    Its mine too, plus the extra I get from doing exercise, I am too finding it hard to eat all of them, without stuffing my face
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Mine is 1230 - it is quite easy most days. check out my food diary. Good Luck!
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and my endrocinologist actually put me on a 1200 calorie a day diet. Some days its easy and then there are the days when you are starving and want to eat everything!

Its not as bad as you think. Good luck!
  • davischiky
    davischiky Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks... Will DO! I have been trying to chew gum to help me not think about boredom snacking.

1195334.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • wendyv123
    Options
    Is there a way to stop the exercise calorie burn from impacting your food calories? I need to stick to 1500 food calories a day, and if I eat the calories I burn from exercise that are over and above 1500 I am not losing any weight.
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you want to lose. I set my weight loss plan for 1.5 lbs a week to keep my calories up around 1400 since 1200 is not enough for me. I can barely do 1400.
  • TTabour
    TTabour Posts: 13
    Options
    I have been at this level for many months. i find that if i am careful most days I am at or under this goal. With walking 3-5 miles per day i am under goal.
  • dunnkat
    dunnkat Posts: 1
    Options
    It is hard, Im just getting back on track now myself and struggling.I know from the past once I make it through the first week it gets easier for me, i think your stomach shrinks and gets used to not eating as much. Also I try to choose foods that are less calorie dense so that I can eat more , like fruits vegetables.:smile:
  • davischiky
    davischiky Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yes I need to add that! I find that I eat well at work when I have access to loggin in my foods but once i get home, I get side track and start snacking which doesnt get logged in :noway:

1195334.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Shawna35
    Shawna35 Posts: 65
    Options
    You would be surprised, but you do adjust to that amount of calories. Remember to drink LOTS of water and fill up on fruits and veggies and whole grain foods. Don't forget your lean protein either. It isn't always easy, but the results make it worth it. Good luck!
  • adcoursey
    Options
    if 1200 is a big drop from what you were eating before, it def will take some adjusting.
    if you eat less carbs and more protein, you prolly won't find it hard to maintain, but most people don't change their diets so drastically and enjoy it... case in point, i had mcd's on the way to work this morning. completely threw off my day, so now i have to make it up.
    drinking LOTS of water and low cal/low sugar drinks helps. promise. :drinker:
  • Pinky_Calhoun
    Pinky_Calhoun Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Eating 6 small meals ranging about 200 calories per meal will help.

Example:

Breakfast: Oatmeal 200 Calories

AM Snack: Dannon Greek Vanilla Yogurt & 12 Frosted Mini Wheat cereal (Maple Brown Sugar) 204 Calories

Lunch: 8 oz Talapia and .5 cup of broccoli 232 Calories

PM Snack: Atkins Strawberry Shake 150 Calories

Dinner: 6 oz of Grilled Chicken, .5 cup of brown rice, .5 cup of broccoli and .5 tbsp of BBQ Sauce 268 calories

Snack: 2 100 calorie snacks of your choice
  • KathyR
    KathyR Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Some days im hungry and some days i cant even eat that much but i do find that eating food with less calories is helpfull.......... like baby carrots you can steam them ... or green beans ( i eat alot of these LOL ) tomatoes and lettuce and onion are also low calories and give you nutrients. Apples also are low calorie i think only like 72 calories in an apple... i eat one every day. On the days i cant seam to eat that much i will eat peanut butter on toast to give me the calories... pluss peanut butter is high in protein.
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    I'm having trouble eating 1200 calories .. Honestly, I'm nearly sick full all day lol .. Some days it gets to where 1200 isn't enough though. You'll get used to it :)
  • moosenbratsmommy
    Options
    it gets easier! i actually lowered my calories to 900 and before anyone starts to bash me, its a mental thing! if i see that i burned 700 calories- my food calories are then upped to 1600 (would be 1900 otherwise) but i see 1600 and i try to stay under that! but i lowered my carbs and LOVE to fill up on brocolli and that has helped too... when i need snacky foods just to mentally satisfy an "I NEED TO EAT" mood, i pop a bag of popcorn... you could eat a whole bag of buttered popcorn for less than 150 calories depending on the brand... and the munch lasts for up to an hour (unless you have a 10 year old, 6 year and a 1 year old who love popcorn too- then you are lucky to get a handful lol)
  • addicted2sugar
    Options
    So if I earn a lot of extra calories because I have done some gardening or some other extra exercising so I have to actually use those extra calories? Or can I hope that by burning more then I use I will start burning some of this extra weight. My son says I have to be kind to my body and I HAVE to eat all those calories, but I would rather loose weight.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

I think it would be helpful if you read the postings in this link--you should understand the concepts of net cal, BMR, and how exercise fits into the whole process. Eating 1200 cals is not the way to go for most people, depending on your body size.
  • Ninachristina
    Ninachristina Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's hard to wrap your head around eating more to lose weight. But it's true. Dropping too low will stall your progress and prevent you from losing any fat and developing new muscle. To solve the problem of getting in more calories choose healthy-calorie dense foods. Whole almonds for example a handful of 24nuts is 170cal, or add an avocado to your salad to add 240cal. Just find those foods that you like which will help you get up to 1200cal!!