Yoga worries

Options
I've just began doing yoga for about the past 3 weeks. I've always had back pain from poor posture and car accidents, but since doing yoga I have individual back muscles that really really hurt. Am I doing the poses incorrectly and hurting myself? Or am I just not use to working out my back and these pains will go away?

Replies

• adcoursey
    Options
    could be a combination of the two... are you using a video or working out with an instructor?
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I agree could be a combo or could be you are working new muscles. If you are working with an instructor ask them to check your posture. They usually watch it pretty closely.
  • ambercole
    ambercole Posts: 426
    Options
    That's what's gonna happen at first. When I first started doing yoga I would be sore in places that I didn't even know that I had. It works your body in a different way than most excercises do. It is probably really good for you because it helps strenghten your core which inturn helps with posture. If you have a strong core then is is less likely that you will strain your muscles doing other exercises. P90x yoga is the best even though I thought that I was gonna die after the first time I did it. :) Keep it up, it does get easier. I feel that it helps me sleep so much better too.
  • dcturcotte
    Options
    Does your back hurt while your doing the poses or primarily the next day. I have a hardcore curve in my lower spine (in my profile pic i am standing up straight!!) and sometimes do birkam, but I find it helps my back if anything. Are you comfortable in the poses that put stress on the back. It's important in yoga to go as deep as you can in the pose while still feeling comfortable, so deep but not too deep.
  • Sherylp77
    Sherylp77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I did yoga consistently for 2 years 2 days a week...I remember going to 2 days per week because I was SO SO SO sore!! and stretching made it feel so much better! I have never done yoga without a certified instructor...so if you are too, keep going and doing it and it will get better!
  • amesserschmidt
    Options
    I don't have an instructor i just do an at home video. wish i could have an instructor though. My back doesnt really hurt while doing the poses, but the next day I feel it in my lower back or my shoulders. I knew i would be sore but the muscles in my lower back will be swollen and even make it hard to move. It keeps me tossing and turning at night because I cant get comfortable.
    dcturcotte i think you might have a point, I think i may be pushing myself to far too soon, because about 50% of the time I'm not very comfortable. Maybe I should just try to take it slower.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    I have the EXACT same issue! Have you looked at pilates? Im my humble opinion, pilates harnesses alot of the same benefits of yoga with more toning moves and is less taxing on the back muscles.
  • amesserschmidt
    Options
    I haven't! My roommate got me into yoga, I never even really knew the difference between the two. That may be a good idea I'll look into. Do you recommend a certain video?
  • dcturcotte
    Options
    Definitely! You see people in the video probably almost bend over backwards (I know I see it in the birkam class). However it's really important that you don't over exert yourself. If you max out your stretch right before you get uncomfortable over time you will become more flexible. I think you might just be overworking your back because you should be sore but you should never be in pain! If you ever have the chance check out a studio, most have drop in rates and the instructors are helpful because they help ensure you're doing the pose correctly!
  • amesserschmidt
    Options
    alright, thanks =)
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    I haven't! My roommate got me into yoga, I never even really knew the difference between the two. That may be a good idea I'll look into. Do you recommend a certain video?

Winsor Pilates 'Accelerated Sculpting' is one I have used for several years and really like!

I have also heard very good things abot this instructor:
    http://www.amazon.com/New-Method-Pilates-Precision-Sculpting/dp/B00005BIG6/ref=sr_1_5?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1282745060&sr=1-5
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    If you aren't comfy while doing the poses that would be a sign that you are pushing too hard too fast. You should feel the stretch but it shouldn't cause any discomfort. If you have had back problems in the past I would highly recommend Back Care Yoga with Rodney Yee, it is a Gaiam product and can be purchased at Target or Barnes & Noble, this helped me get into yoga and in the process cured my back issues.

For aches at night and swelling you need to ice and rest and consider taking some aleve for a few days every 12 hours to aid in reduced inflammation and healing. Also, icy hot or tiger's balm will keep those muscles warm and lose and help keep you from getting tight or causing sleeplessness.

:flowerforyou:
  • amesserschmidt
    Options
    awesome thanks!
  • Papaya81
    Papaya81 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have the EXACT same issue! Have you looked at pilates? Im my humble opinion, pilates harnesses alot of the same benefits of yoga with more toning moves and is less taxing on the back muscles.

I agree but I have found a nice balance of both. I have noticed that over the years of experimenting with both, I have begun to enjoy each for different reasons. I love yoga because I love that I feel stretched out and my joints and muscles don't tighten up as much. However, like you I love pilates for its toning qualities.

Back to the main issue, I agree with many of the members who think it is probably a combination. Truthfully, child's pose, which should be a "relaxing" go-to position in yoga is very uncomfortable for me...but I think you should continue on and see an instructor for technique purposes and you will soon see the many benefits :)
  • BRITBRITNOLA
    BRITBRITNOLA Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Does your back hurt while your doing the poses or primarily the next day. I have a hardcore curve in my lower spine (in my profile pic i am standing up straight!!) and sometimes do birkam, but I find it helps my back if anything. Are you comfortable in the poses that put stress on the back. It's important in yoga to go as deep as you can in the pose while still feeling comfortable, so deep but not too deep.

OMG I have that exact same curve in my back !!! I do find that yoga helps, esp with an instructor. The videos are ok but it doesn't replace someone actually placing you in the right positions. After a few classes though i do find it easier to do yoga at home. I just keep hearing in my head "press your spine into the floor" or "push through your heels" etc.
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I've just began doing yoga for about the past 3 weeks. I've always had back pain from poor posture and car accidents, but since doing yoga I have individual back muscles that really really hurt. Am I doing the poses incorrectly and hurting myself? Or am I just not use to working out my back and these pains will go away?

yoga shouldn't hurt. Yoga should always feel like a flow, even if the poses are hard to do or hard to hold, things can feel tight but pain...no. and if you're feeling those things you need a different yoga form or routine...If you are ever able to get to a class then a instructor can help you check your body to make sure you have proper form - also if you have a prior back injury/condition then they would suggest modifications to the poses, to cause less stress on your muscles, When I go to yoga they always have a form on check in to make sure that you haven't received any new injuries and if you have you have to tell the instructor so they can work with you on modifying poses, so you don't injure yourself further.
    So your poses wouldn't look the same as what the video tape might be showing you until your body is able to handle those poses.
    It's really important to listen to your body in yoga (all times actually) If a yoga instructor isn't helping you out if you take a class with modified poses then it's not worth going to their classes. There are occassional ones that do that, and there are also a Bunch of different forms/types of yoga.

Which one are you doing?
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,184 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor suggested a video that I found on Amazon, it was for people with low back pain. Can't remember the guys name, but it was a Vin Yoga form. I have two bad discs in my low back and the video gave me the basic moves, I showed my chiropractor and he helped me correct my positioning. Amazing what a difference of just a slightly out of place ankle will do. I haven't had (knock on wood) sciatica in over a year. I still wake up in the morning a bit stiff and uncomfortable but it is taking much less time to "shake it off".

Good Luck!