I can't stop EATING!!!

Options
I can't seem to stop eating. I go WAY over my calories everyday. I'm not even hungry when I eat, I just like the taste of things, so I decide to eat them. Any suggestions?

Replies

• michlindsay23
    Options
    I can't seem to stop eating. I go WAY over my calories everyday. I'm not even hungry when I eat, I just like the taste of things, so I decide to eat them. Any suggestions?
  • jlauren6
    jlauren6 Posts: 209
    Options
    I wish I could help you, but I do the same thing!!!!! Then I hate myself for acting like a scavenger in the pantry! I would say to not keep any junk in your house and pack in veggies and healthy things that fill you up so that you won't want to even go near the kitchen!
  • natalie1
    natalie1 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I just completed my food diary for today: 980 EXTRA calories.... What do you do now?:sad:
    I know I'll be better tomorrow, bu still...:brokenheart:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    PLAN your day by logging your foods AND plan for munchies throughout the day.

smiley_smack_paddle_ani.gif

YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    Options
    i definitely have those days... so i do a few things that work for me. they might work for you too!

1) when i get the urge to eat something, it is usually because i'm bored. so i get up and do something! take a walk, read a book, anything to take my mind off of food.

2) chug a glass of water. that usually makes my stomach so full that i can't even think about stomaching any food for a while.

3) chew on some gum!

4) wait about 20 minutes. if you're still craving that food, eat it.. but remember, it may be sabotaging your calories for the day.

i used to plan my days way in advance to know exactly what i was allowed to eat, and would leave myself about 200 calories for those "whoopsies" moments. now i've gotten to the point where i can log as i go along because i know what im allowed to have.

i hope this helped you! let me know if i can do anything else for ya!
  • chelsea33024
    Options
    I have the same problem but all i eat is junk and candy.
  • racoon1
    racoon1 Posts: 78
    Options
    alot of great ideas from everyone. might also wanna try having prepared fruits and veggies ready to eat so you can easily reach for those instead of the high carb stuff. Today I did a whole cucumber which is a ' FREE FOOD' I had it peeled cut up then put dill vinegar and extra virgin olive oil in it. You can eat as many cuc's as you want.
  • natalie1
    natalie1 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Regular days I am OK with certain food routine. Since I found that website ,I log in EVERYTHING that enters my mouth. My husband, who is the one that prepares meals in our family, is making fun of me and told me that he used wine to cook chicken ( since I am not allowing him to use oil or butter) and he asked me if he needed to show me the bottle, so I could get caloric info from the cooking wine. :laugh:
    The problem comes when we have company over. My husband would cook everything that I love for gests but I easily will loose control in those situations. We have people over at least twice a week..
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Try to finish eating by 4pmish (maybe a veggie or fruit later on).

Total your calories for the day and make that YOUR exercise goal for the night.

Just make sure you get that exercise DONE early enough so you can sleep!

Guess I am not a good example of that. I blew my calorie count by about 500 today. I think I am still hungry from yesterday's PFT though!

Also, try snaking on things lower in calories! My favorite are the Quaker Flavored Mini Rice Cakes.

Good luck!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    If you are eating just to be doing something, focus more on the food. Don't eat while doing other activities (like I tend to eat lunch while working at my computer, and I tend to eat more because I don't realize what I've already shoved in my mouth, or some people can shovel down an entire bag of chips while watching tv). Pay attention to your food.

If it's all about the food craving-- which I experience all the time! -- try to incorporate small amounts of everything you are craving into your meal. If I'm craving chocolate, I try to allow myself a small portion of it so I don't jump off the deep end later and binge on it. If I'm craving terribly calorie-packed chips, I count out one serving size (or even half), put the bag away and focus on eating those, savoring and enjoying them.

Someone's tagline on here reads, "We eat to live, not live to eat." I keep that in my head all day long. My life thus far has been living to eat and gorge on my favorite foods. No more. I have control over food now (or at least I tell myself I do), and I'll enjoy them at my leisure, and I'll only put in the calories required to live (most days). :wink:
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Everyone has had some good suggestions.
    But since I dont even trust myself with junk food, I just dont buy it when I go grocery shopping.
    Its a lot easier to avoid bad foods if they aren't around.
    Now I have a bunch of fruit and veggies around, esp at work where I get the hungriest.
    If I feel the urge for something "bad" I have a 100 calorie pack, which tastes like chips or cookies, but is low in cals, obviously.
    Try to remember that you probably won't quit your fav foods cold turkey, and prob shouldnt. You just need to learn to eat what you like in moderation.
    I also agree with the tv watching, before Id sit down with chips in front of the TV and at the end of the ngiht Id be like, where'd my chips go?:huh:
    So try to take it all in, count out serving sizes, allow yourself little bits here and there and just eat healthier snacks. If you do splurge go for a walk or get in some more exercise, its the best you can do and just try to stick with your food and exercise the next day.
  • eHarris
    eHarris Posts: 160
    Options
    I had the same problem....but I desperately want to loose the weight I've put on over the past few years! I counter my desire to eat by doing two things...

1. I log as much of my daily intake as I can...AHEAD of time. Just seeing how quickly the calories are going makes me take a second look at whether or not I truly want to eat what I'm eating.

2. I keep lots of quick snack packs around. At work I keep two to three boxes of Nabisco 100 calorie snack packs (salty and chocolate) and a box or two of Kashi TLC bars (those are usually no more than 150 calories). At home I keep the same along with lots of fresh veggies and laughing cow chesse (which is yummylicious).

But my biggest suggestion is this, buckle down and make a serious commitment to the count and to your self for one to two weeks max. If your going over your calories everyday your very likely going to see a difference quickly! And trust me...thats motivation enough! (I was thinking about ordering out for lunch today and just as quickly as that thought crossed my mind ...so did the thought that I've lost three pounds in a week and a half and I'M NOT HUNGRY!
  • sunshine92
    sunshine92 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    make sure you eat a high protein breakfast. the protein will keep you full and give you energy thruout your morning. a typical breakfast for me would be : scrambled eggs (1 whole egg and 2 egg whites), 1 or 2 slices turkey bacon, and a cup of coffee or sugar free mocha. this comes to about 18 g of protein. the recommended amount (so I've heard, I'm def. no expert!) is 14-21 g for breakfast. I've also heard that to get enough protein, you take your ideal (healthy) weight, and divide it by 2. so if your healthy weight would be 130, you should be getting 65 g of protein a day. High protein snacks really help with cravings. Like, low fat cheese sticks (about 7 g per serving) a glass of FF or LF milk (8 g). Or for Starbucks lovers their skinny lattes have 10 g in a tall.
  • michlindsay23
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I will def. try them. I think I am eating out of boredom. I am a school teacher and have the summer off, so I am trying to keep myself busy, but some days it just doesn't work. Thanks everybody.
  • lantana171
    lantana171 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i snack out of boredom, too. my stomach may not be hungry, but my mouth wants to be entertained, LOL.

the best investment i made was a $30 snow cone machine. i can make a nice big bowl of shaved ice, sprinkle about half a teaspoon of koolaid powder on it (about 10 calories, even using the one with sugar, and you use it very sparingly) that doesn't just disappear in 5 bites.

i'm trying to work on emotional eating, but while i'm doing that, the snow cone machine is a great way to snack without a lot of calories.
  • eHarris
    eHarris Posts: 160
    Options
    oooo I just thought of this too....if your just snacking because you're bored you can stock up on Gerber Puffs. Its a pretty big jar and only 160 calories for the whole thing. Not bad for mindless snacking. They come in lots of different flavors too.
  • aaubrey
    aaubrey Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I eat my daughters peach and cherry puffs all the time...lol! I went over by 1300 today(pot luck at work). I have been doing really good and the guilt is overwhelming right now. Knowing ALL the work I have done this week is nullified now. But, you have to learn from it and try again tomorrow. I think I will do better now that I feel like crap (I wouldnt have done that bad but the cake I ate come to find out is 783). i keep a lot of fruit, hundred calorie packs, rice cakes (yummy with pb), and beef jerky.
  • karenfitness
    Options
    I am right with you, it's so hard to stay in the calorie guidelines. It just comes down to you have to do it. This is the first program I have ever had any success with. I have made myself be completely honest with the food diary. It helped me see just how much I was eating. I just decided I want to lose the weight. I want to wear the cute clothes!

I did two other things, I started bumping up my fiber intake a lot!! over 25 g a day. It really does help me feel full and I am the queen of munching!

I also try to plan my meals and and snacks ahead of time so I can eat what I want, but keep the portion within the calorie limits.

Oh yes, I also go to bed hungry. But after not being able to lose weight in over 5 years, the scale has finally began to go down!