Off Again

Options
I am needing some "get back on" motivation. I am very on again off again in my weight loss/getting fit. A little quick about me....
Single mom of 2, no family around. My daughter is from a marriage (we are still friends) that was built on nothing so it ended in nothing. He is remarried and we work really well together when it comes to getting our daughter to where she needs to be, or taking her an extra night if the other needs a break. My son's dad and I were friends before my divorce. We got together not long after I was divorced and were together for 5 years. Then he started drinking heavily, had some kind of break down, walked out a year ago and moved back to England where he is from. I have no family around here so my son is with me 24/7. I know this is very common, so I'm not complaining. I would much rather have him with me 24/7 then worry about him alone with his dad. Anyway, he won't sit in a jogging stroller, but is too little to keep up with me on a bike if I want to go for a jog. I sometimes workout at home usign youtube videos, but he is under my feet constantly. If I do it after he goes to bed, then I am energized and up half the night.
I have a membership to the gym which is awesome! My best friend also goes there so we both get time together while our kids play. The only problem here is that it gets to be a real pain in the rear getting my son in and out of the car. Guilt takes over....he has spent a whole day with a sitter, now I'm taking him to another one. Then of course there is still the need to get him fed, bathed, and to bed. All while trying to do laundry, clean the kitche or bath or whatever, and then getting ready for the next day. There are no breaks. I don't have a partner that could watch the kids while I get away for an hour. I have friends who are willing but not always able. I get frustrated, I get tired, I need a break, and the first thing out the window is my dedication (or lack there of) to losing weight. After a while I always come back to it, but I get irittated that I'm mainting my weight rather than losing.
I only have 20lbs to lose before reaching my goal. 20lbs! That's it.....and yet I can't seem to get there. Any single mom's out there with advice. Heck, I'd take any suggestions from anyone! I need a way to not feel gulty. I need a way to stay strong through this and to not give up when I am tired. I need a little kick that will help in knowing that it's ok to focus on me. I guess I don't know what I need really.....just something to get me going again.

Replies

• daisymae850
    daisymae850 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Why don't you play with him outside? Play ball? Batting cages? Something you can do with him and still burn. How about swimming? My son and I swim every day, or karate, my son is in karate and I am in his kickboxing classes with him
  • stephysd
    stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Unsure how old your little guy is, but I have a 7 and 5 year old sons. The nearest gym for me is 30 minutes away and not worth the effort of an hour round trip drive to accomplish. We do a lot of walking at home in the evenings, which sounds like you prefer jogging but any exercise is exercise. Another thing we will do is Simon Says with excerises. The boys will join us the best they can. They take turns telling me and my husband which exercise to do and how many times. They love it because they get to 'boss' us around and also they'll join in and be active too. This is includes, pushups, crunches, burpees, lunges, squats, arm circles, etc. Another game we play is red light - green light. Again me and husband are in the mix running and one of the boys is the caller. We will also do races where we each carry one boy piggy back style and have a race to who can make it across the yard first.

All things that are easy to accomplish at home, the kids are involved which teaches them that exercising is not a bad thing, plus lugging their 30-40 pound bodies around is good strength training for me.

Best of luck - Hope you can lose that last little bit!
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    daisymae- I do get outside to play with him. I don't have a yard and I live on a busy street so we go to the park. I am very grateful that Lincoln has a TON of beautiful parks. We do anything from flying kites to playing on the swings. He is terrified of water. Not really sure where it came from, but water (even at bath time) sends him into hysterics. Some of my issues are needing that time without kids, but feeling guilty for working all day then going to the gym for an hour or so.

Stephysd- he is 3 and loves being bossy lol so I love your idea of simon says! I should teach him the names of some exercises and go from there! When you're feeling at a loss, it sometimes the most simple things that seem the best ideas. Seriously, I would've never thought of that. My daughter is 7 and would get into that as well! Thanks!