30DS endurance fail

Options
Okay I'm super frustrated today. I have been doing cardio for about 6 months now, maybe 3-6 days a week, running, elliptical etc... recently since I've lost 45lbs I've decided to do something extra to get fit. I bought 30 DS and was super excited to start it, Man oh, man did I burn the first 3 days, couldn't walk down the stairs, felt like I had jelly legs and arms, I only took one or two short pauses during the cardio portion. I heard Jillian saying, "If youre on day 5/6/7 I bet youre noticing a difference in endurance!" This motivated me to just make it to there at least, and it would all get better...

Then comes my frustration, Today was day 7, yesterday I did the whole thing Level 1, no breaks! I was so proud... Today I can barely keep up. I think I injured my dumb leg during the side lunges, I feel a tight pull on the left side of my left thigh/knee. Why isnt day 5,6,7 getting easier for me!?! What am I doing wrong that It's getting tougher, or staying about the same? shouldnt my body be adapting and building muscle? MY arms and abs and thighs def, are tighter and at least I feel muscles there now, but the endurance thing is not improving. I'm just discouraged about it... I eat 1200 cal net each day sometimes 1500. (thats NET) but since I dont actually know how many calories 30 DS burns I've just been calling it 150cal... anyone got advice on fixing this issue? or at least feel like me? am I the only one not improving?

Replies

• refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    When I did 30DS I was sore in the beginning as well because like you, I was mostly focused on cardio training and barely any strength training. When I started doing 30DS, I was very sore for most of the first level and maybe a bit on the second. If you are new to strength, your muscles are going to hurt because they haven't been worked as much in the past. If you think you are injured, it is ok to take a rest day to get better. Jillian even mentions that when she created the program she meant to have at least one rest day per level.

Also, keep in mind that some days your body does not perform at peak level and make sure that your general diet is up to par with what your body needs to provide the strength, energy and endurance you need.
  • Heidi_11913
    Options
    I've also noticed the same thing.... sometimes day 6, 7 & 8 were harder for me and i was more out of breath than I was on day 1 or 2... didn't make sense to be either. I would just suggest sticking with it and push through... I'm on Level 2, Day 7 and can't believe that I'm ALMOST to level 3. I wouldn't say that it gets any easier....however yesterday I decided to do level 1 AND level 2, and level 1 seemed like a cakewalk. LOL.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Okay I'm super frustrated today. I have been doing cardio for about 6 months now, maybe 3-6 days a week, running, elliptical etc... recently since I've lost 45lbs I've decided to do something extra to get fit. I bought 30 DS and was super excited to start it, Man oh, man did I burn the first 3 days, couldn't walk down the stairs, felt like I had jelly legs and arms, I only took one or two short pauses during the cardio portion. I heard Jillian saying, "If youre on day 5/6/7 I bet youre noticing a difference in endurance!" This motivated me to just make it to there at least, and it would all get better...

Then comes my frustration, Today was day 7, yesterday I did the whole thing Level 1, no breaks! I was so proud... Today I can barely keep up. I think I injured my dumb leg during the side lunges, I feel a tight pull on the left side of my left thigh/knee. Why isnt day 5,6,7 getting easier for me!?! What am I doing wrong that It's getting tougher, or staying about the same? shouldnt my body be adapting and building muscle? MY arms and abs and thighs def, are tighter and at least I feel muscles there now, but the endurance thing is not improving. I'm just discouraged about it... I eat 1200 cal net each day sometimes 1500. (thats NET) but since I dont actually know how many calories 30 DS burns I've just been calling it 150cal... anyone got advice on fixing this issue? or at least feel like me? am I the only one not improving?

Are you taking any rest days? Your body may simply be screaming at you for a break. Don't do it for 30 days straight, you might risk injuring yourself
  • VegKate
    VegKate Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had to start eating a little bit more when I started the 30DS in order to have the energy to get through it. I was netting around 1400, but I'm up around 1600 or more now. That helps. I also did not notice a huge boost in endurance, but rest days every 5 days have definitely made it more manageable for me.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Take a test day. Obviously results vary from person to person, listen to your body
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Honeslty, sometimes sluggish days just happen - I've heard runners talk about it frequently. You might even feel great but once you get started your body just totally poops ot on you for now apparent reason. Maybe you didn't sleep well, maybe your allergies are flaring up, maybe your muscles are just tired or you didn't eat enough or drink enough. Hard to pin down the exact reason sometimes.

It's my firm belief that when the body tells me it's pooped by givnig me pain signals or fatigue, I listen. You're experiencing both! Time to take a rest day (or 2). If you want to still be active, do something low key like a walk.
  • lulu150
    lulu150 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Before I started the 30 DS the first time back in March I had also been doing a lot of running, average of 2-4 miles a day, and it still kicked my behind big time! I just have to say to stick with it and do the best you can each time! Take a rest day when needed (I usually took 1 day a level) and eat good. Today I just finished my second time around with the 30 DS and feel so much stronger. I still struggled with different moves but others I was able to do much better this time around. I am now debating on doing round 3 of the 30 DS or going on to Ripped in 30. Happy shredding!!!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I think I injured my dumb leg during the side lunges, I feel a tight pull on the left side of my left thigh/knee.

FYI, the Amazon reviews for the 30DS mention a lot of knee injuries. The first 1-star (bad review) is from a doctor who reports a lot of back injuries from people who tried the program. I have no knowledge of how fit these people were to start with, etc.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    1200 calories isn't a good number for endurance.

I've done 30DS twice in a row (60DS?). The first time I did notice that it got slightly easier as the days went by, but then there would be random days where I felt like I was really struggling. Some days are good, some are bad. Second time around it was much better. I was eating more, and felt like I was rocking those workouts. Now I do 30DS when I want something quick & easy. So it does get easier, I think off days are to be expected though.
  • samanthacohoe
    Options
    I've done 30 Day Shred twice now, and to be honest, each level only got easier after I moved on to the next one and then came back and tried it again. I was able to move from modified to full versions of the exercises, but I never really felt like I had more endurance. So I'd say don't worry about that, and push on through. I do agree with others that you should be taking one rest day per week. I did have some knee pain and just pushed through it without a problem. I don't know if that was a good idea, but it worked out okay for me.
  • FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    It makes perfect sense that day 5, 6, 7 you're lsgging. Your body is telling you it needs a rest day. When I did 30ds I got up to day7 or 8 and I was terrible, took a day off and when i got into it again my body had recovered enough that I could push harder, endurance was way better.
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    first, if you think you've injured yourself TAKE A REST DAY or two. Do not keep going if you've injured your leg.

Second, as with a lot of others, the "lagging" happened to me too. I did HIIT cardio before the 30DS but its a whole different ball game than straight up cardio. I hurt, I had trouble making it through for the first 5 or 6 days, and After day 7 of each level, I rested for one day. As for the burn, I got a HRM to tell me what my burn was. It was the only way to be SURE I wasn't taking in more calories than I was burning.

All in all, I enjoyed the "punishment" and after my current "break" program is done, I am going to do another round with Jillian. I am hoping for a better endurance run but we'll see :wink:

Good luck with the rest of it and enjoy!

edited for spelling :blushing:
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's working to me :smile: I say keep going with what you have been doing. It's gonna hurt, it's not a cake walk. Of course if you are truly injured take a break, but if it's just soreness push through! No matter what program I am doing some days are just much harder than others, don't know why.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am on day 12 (2nd day of level 2) and to be frank after day 5 it was a lot easier for me. I have noticed my thigh muscle is a bit sore from the lunges (front ones) as I don't think you warm them up enough so I make sure I get a good streach in at the end.

Perhaps you aren't getting enough food to sustain it???? I eat about 1300-1600 a day and prefer to do it in the morning but with my schedule it's normally done at night...

Take a day of rest but don't give up...if you need motivated try this group

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/163095290536513/

we are all doing it and the support is great.
  • 19Lindsay76
    19Lindsay76 Posts: 135
    Options

Are you taking any rest days? Your body may simply be screaming at you for a break. Don't do it for 30 days straight, you might risk injuring yourself

You should definately take the rest day. I have finished this workout a couple of times, and i love it...but it is not easy, especially your first time thru, i still take rest days now when i do it. It is 30 DS because it is 10 days for each level, yo don't have to finish it in 30 days. listen to your body...and enjoy the results, i think you will really be happy with your end results. Keep up the great work!!
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I noticed the same - I like 30DS very much, but warmup and stretching are NOT that parts! Warmup is too short for lifting body temperature to the point when you can lift heavy weigts without danger and stretching can be dangerous for your knees, neck and spine. The part when you lean forward and towards your leg can cause injuries in your spine and neck if you don't lean with straight back. Insanity is excellent in this part - long workout and very efficient stretching. Add couple more minutes to both parts.
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that you probably need a rest day. However, I know my legs were sore every day for the six weeks that it took me to get through 30 Day Shred. They didn't really hurt and didn't feel injured. They were just sore. I knew it was working. But I definitely took rest days.

The other thing is that I don't think you're recording enough calories burned. Record it as circuit training, general. I expect you're burning more calories than you realize. Then be sure to eat back those calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Sorry but endurance doesn't markedly improve in a week. I tell my clients it'll take at least 3 weeks of consistent work to really notice a difference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    You're meant to take rest days here and there. The name 30-Day Shred doesn't mean 30 days in a row. I bet you will see faster progress if you take a couple of rest days each week to let your muscles repair.