Exercise for sedentary job on 12 hour shift

Options
Anyone have any resources for exercises I can do while sitting for 12 hours as a 911 dispatcher? I can stand at my station and do some movements I just can't jump around..

thanks

Replies

• princessmedic
    Options
    I am right there with you! I work as a dispatcher for emergency air transport, and I work 12 hour night shifts, I am cooped up in a little room all night. I end up pacing the room. Do you get to take breaks? We don't so its even harder, but if you did...you could walk around your parking lot a couple times.
  • Dawn_2013
    Dawn_2013 Posts: 170
    Options
    Hey Chelsea! Ok so all jobs legally have to have breaks. I go for serous walks...like 4 mile/hour pace walks with a co-worker twice a day which adds 40 mintes to my day. Stretches are good...necessary, but not cardio, so try to step away from the desk and get a walk in....yeah I sweat, but your callers will never know, and your boss (if they are worth anything...) will applaud you like mine does...

who cares? Define YOUR future...this will make you the boss one day...:flowerforyou:
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I do butt clenches, stomach vacuums, and Jack Lallane hand exercises (the jack lallane's I do real fast while walking in a circle and they give me energy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVVNCP66N8
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    how about walking in place, lunges,knee lifts.Maybe you could bring a step to work and walk up and down on the step. I would suggest looking at some youtube videos to get ideas of things you can do
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Get a resistance band, I have one at work for that. You can get them cheap at modells.
  • chelseagirlfl
    chelseagirlfl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Lots of good ideas...I get one 1 hour break in 12 hours...so- I try to walk then but, I wanted to do something else through the night..I never thought to look on YouTube ...
  • mocosa74
    mocosa74 Posts: 42
    Options
    here are some great ideas too!!!

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/blofficeworkout.htm

I would also say, instead of just walking on your break...try interval walking or running......do 20 seconds of brisk walking and 40 seconds of jogging, or mix it up with slow/brisk walking. This will help burn calories and jump start your heart!
  • LBBarbi911
    LBBarbi911 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I no longer work the 12-hour shift as a dispatcher, but work a 10-hour day in the office, still sedentary. I understand the restrictions that the radio gives and now being a member of our workplace wellness committee I am seeking out just the answer to your question.

Our staff has one (30) minute break and 4 (10) minute breaks. My thought is if you really want to get your cardio in, to use (20) minutes of your lunch break and eat smaller meals during the (10) minute breaks. You can even use 1 or 2 of the remaining (10) minute breaks to walk or do stretch or exercises too. I've done burpees, push ups, tri-cep dips, walking lunges, and jumping jacks. Walk vigorously in your parking lot or even around the inside of the building. That way if they need you back in the room you can be paged. Bring produts so that you can "refreshen" up if you need to. I know a girl who is blessed with an hour lunch break, but runs it and comes back changes back into her work clothes and freshens up before returning to her desk.

It's a struggle, but try to think more of what you can do and less about circumstances that are limiting you. ~Good Luck!