Steel Cut Oats

Options
We ran out of old fashioned oats and have some steel cut oats. How do you cook them?

Replies

• Lawngirl296
    Lawngirl296 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I put them in the crockpot for 6 hours. 1 cup of steel cut oats and 3.5 cups water and 1 cup almond or skim milk. Add vanilla and cinnomin if you like it. You can add brown sugar or maple syrup but the really increases the calories.
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    One cup of water per 1/4 cup of oats, bring to a boil and simmer for 25 - 30 minutes, uncovered. They are a whole different and much more interesting texture than regular rolled oats. One cup cooked = 150 calories.

I usually add splenda, cinnamon and PB2. Yum!
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I put them in the crockpot for 6 hours. 1 cup of steel cut oats and 3.5 cups water and 1 cup almond or skim milk. Add vanilla and cinnomin if you like it. You can add brown sugar or maple syrup but the really increases the calories.
    That sounds delicious too -- I'll try that this weekend!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    One cup of water per 1/4 cup of oats, bring to a boil and simmer for 25 - 30 minutes, uncovered. They are a whole different and much more interesting texture than regular rolled oats. One cup cooked = 150 calories.

I usually add splenda, cinnamon and PB2. Yum!

This!^

The texture is amazing...... if you're lazy like I am ..... they also make a 5 minute version of steel cut oats..... Coach's or McCann's Instant Steel Cut ..... partial to Coach's myself. I like to add PB2 and sweeten with maple syrup.
  • TraciWA
    TraciWA Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks! Will give it a try tomorrow.
  • crose0056
    crose0056 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I jus made another batch this afternoon for work this weekend 1/4 oats, 1&1/2c almond milk 1/4c raisins, dash vanilla, pinch salt and shake of cinnamon. Simmer on low 30min or so. I also added 2 spendas when cooking. Nice and quick to heat back up at work. This makes 2 servings for me.