Low sugar or low calorie wine?

Options
Does anyone know of any low calorie or low sugar wine? I have some wine practically every weekend during social gatherings and I know it could hinder my fitness goals. I just figure if I am going to drink it, misewell try to drink a brand that is lower in calories or lower in sugar. I know of Skinny Girl brand, but its just yucky to me. Any other suggestions besides that particular brand. Thanks :)

Replies

• Amson19
    Amson19 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What kind of wine?
  • nickymarie011
    nickymarie011 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    What kind of wine?

I am not too picky, prefer a red though :)
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I like Franzia Burgendy wine low in calories but it is a very dry wine
    and it only 160 calories for an 8 oz glass with only 8 carbs
  • Amson19
    Amson19 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I only know of the Skinny girl wine and The Skinny Vine wine - but I think both are mainly whites. Sorry!!
  • nickymarie011
    Options
    Thank you both :)
  • alibee81
    alibee81 Posts: 62
    Options
    Low calorie wine usually has a lower alcohol percentage, like 7.5% instead of 12.5%. Dry white wines have the least sugar *of the white wines.

I always drink red wine, it has less sugar than white. If it's hot and I want a cool drink, I'll mix it with diet tonic, fruit and plenty of ice for a refreshing sangria instead of opting for a white wine.

Edit*
  • nickymarie011
    Options
    Low calorie wine usually has a lower alcohol percentage, like 7.5% instead of 12.5%. Dry white wines have the least sugar.

I always drink red wine, it has less sugar than white. If it's hot and I want a cool drink, I'll mix it with diet tonic, fruit and plenty of ice for a refreshing sangria instead of opting for a white wine.

Oh, I have tried the diet tonic idea before but never thought of the fruit idea for a sangria effect. Awesome idea, TY!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    malbec has abut 100 cals per glass..I think
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you could always switch to vodka water...that is my drink of choice
  • nickymarie011
    Options

LOL, thanks for the idea, however vodka and I are no longer on friendly terms!
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options

LOL, thanks for the idea, however vodka and I are no longer on friendly terms!

Oh I hear ya we called our friendship quits a few weeks ago but she understood :)
  • gege0404
    gege0404 Posts: 17
    Options
    Red wine is he best choice.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    As someone else mentioned the lower the alcohol by volume the lower the calorie content.

Choosing the dry wine over sweet will also help.

Choosing to have the wine in a tall glass with ice and diet sprite or soda will also make it last longer.

Or drink a glass of wine with a glass of water in between each glass to pace it out?
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    Options
    I was going to say vodka water as well.. that's what I do if I drink.. I love wine so you inspired me to look. I found a website http://sugarlesswines.com/ IDK how the wine can be sugarless but it claims to be.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Red wine is he best choice.

Red wine has a few more cals than white..and sparkling white has a few more less than normal white..not a lot of difference but if you are trying to calorie count then it could make a difference.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to drink wine? It's empty calories. Alcohol is a poison that needs to cleared by the liver putting fat metabolism on hold. I can have a perfectly good time sober. Water is best. Water from flowing mountain streams surrounded by organic elk.

Yeh, only kidding, red wine is the answer to all of life's problems.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Dry red...
  • marc_s_johnson
    marc_s_johnson Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    What's the problem? so long as it's in your allowance, no?

I've had a few glasses over the last couple of weeks and it hasn't harmed my progress at all, if anything I've been eating less to fit it in.
  • nickymarie011
    Options
    Why do you need to drink wine? It's empty calories. Alcohol is a poison that needs to cleared by the liver putting fat metabolism on hold. I can have a perfectly good time sober. Water is best. Water from flowing mountain streams surrounded by organic elk.

Yeh, only kidding, red wine is the answer to all of life's problems.

LOL it certainly is
  • nickymarie011
    Options
    Thanks for the replies ladies and gents :) I think I will give The Skinny Vine a shot. Never heard of it till before, when someone here suggested it :)