Im embarressed of myself.

Options
2»

Replies

• Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    any tips would be appreciated ....:smile:
    Take stock of your positives. You're 20. That is a big advantage.

I have been on maintenance over a year. Here's what I recommend: If I were starting out now, knowing what I know, I would not go straight to "the recommended daily calorie allowance". I would benchmark my existing habits first. In other words, just eat like I always have and keep track of it. I don't care if it's 5,000 calories a day, that's fine. It's not good or bad, it's just present reality. Then I would drop gradually. 4,500 per day for a week or so. Then 4,000 a day, and so on.

The problem is, and I've done it myself, is that we overeat and then try to go to something like 1,200 calories all at once. It's like driving 90 miles an hour and slamming on the brakes. It's pretty rough.

Here's the best news: You don't have to be perfect, you just need to be better at eating than you are now. If you are committed, you'll be successful. Don't be overly hard on yourself and don't be overly lenient. Be calm and be steady. You'll get there. Promise.
  • Quilled
    Quilled Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would get rid of your cable/tv altogether. I have nothing but a dvd player and netflix which I rarely use. It will make a huge difference for you i think. If you have no tv you will not sit in bed and watch it all day. I also suggest picking up some hobbies. Hobbies will provide you with something to do to keep your mind and body occupied. You eat all the time because you ahve nothing to do but eat and think about eating. Concentrate on other things. DO NOT attach food to your hobbies as that will lead to bad habits. I think those things would force you to change. You are being open and honest about your issues so I think these changes will change your whole life.
  • rach503
    rach503 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm similar to you in stats - 5'8", started at 252, now at 198 after 5 months. Just start slow and build consistency. It sounds silly, but even little things help. I started by going for 20 minute walks, slowly adding time... once I got bored with that I tried an elliptical, I figured out boredom during working out meant I wasn't pushing it hard enough. With food, at first I didn't "cut" anything, I just tried to focus on only eating fruit when I was hungry in between meals - no more junky snacks. I focused on apples and bananas and fruits with fiber in it. It slowly gets easier, just keep going. You can do it!!!!
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I never believed I'd ever lose ANY weight, I was set to pile on more and more weight the older I got. I'd given up. Then I found MFP Android app, and installed it on my phone, and off I went.

For me, it was just about having control, I had the app at my fingertips, I found it astonishingly easy to stick to my 1200 calories a day, and quickly shed a stone and a dress size. I'm still losing weight, but a little more slowly. I take one day at a time, and eat what I like to eat - just less of it that I used to. I make choices instead of just indulging myself. It works for me.

And I think because I'm not doing some mad diet, being controlled by it, having to deny myself, that's why it works. I eat normal food, but weigh it, portion control, and limit the high cal stuff like bread.

I've changed my eating habits - knowing calories of stuff I eat regularly means I am more aware of what I'm having. I don't find it hard to limit myself to one biscuit when I know it's so many calories. I still have a glass or two of wine, but I know I need to do so much exercise to pay for it. If I'm going out to eat I have a light breakfast and lunch, and save up my calories. And I don't beat myself up if I overdo it.

If I can do it, absolutely anyone can! I have absolutely no self discipline at all.

But everyone's different - you just need to find what works for you. As soon as you notice lbs and inches dropping away, you'll be motivated. Be patient - it won't happen overnight. And it won't happen steadily - you'll lose a bit, stop losing, lose a bit more. You'll feel great for a bit, then feel stuck and feel fat and horrible, and then it'll start coming off again. Be patient and kind to yourself.

But above all, be kind to yourself. You mustn't be embarrassed about yourself - be proud of yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • AnnInTexas
    AnnInTexas Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed, lots of us have been there. I definitely know I have! I lost my job and was sitting at home for 3 months. I'm pretty sure all I did was eat, because by the time I starrted my new job, I weighed 277 pounds! I remember getting on a scale once and see that number and I just burst into tears. I was inching closer to that 300 mark!

It was that day I decided it was time to make some changes. Some of the first steps I took: I literally threw all of the sugary, salty, snacky stuff out of my house. I told hubby that was just going to be the way it was. I replaced it with healthy fruit, lower calorie treats and salad stuff. I quit drinking soda -- cold turkey. I would plan out my day's food in the morning, and post it on the fridge. If I knew I was going to have something high in calories for dinner, I would have fewer cals for breakfast and lunch. I logged EVERYTHING that went into my mouth on my food diary.

In about 3 months time, I lost 20 pounds. I think just cutting down my daily calories is what made it happen. I'm sure I was eating between 3500 -4000 calories a day! Just cutting it down to 1500-1700 made all the difference! With those extra 20 pounds off, I was able to start adding some exercise. Even if it was just a walk about the block, or around the office.

Don't set your expectations too high. Don't set a goal of "I'm going to weigh xxx, by xxx time." If you fail, you will be disappointed. Instead, set goals like "I want to stay under 1500 calories for three days in a row." Or, "I will log all of my food for 5 days in a row." Those are easily attainable goals. Once you accomplish them, you can then start lengthening them and even add some tougher ones.

Congratulations on taking the first step - ask for help, ask for support and remember: Strive for persistance, not perfection!
  • kailimae
    kailimae Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome. You've come to the right place! My name is Kaili and feel free to add me if you want.

You didn't mention anything about your goals, which I'm curious about. A lot of times I think we give up when we set unrealistic expectations of ourselves. I would stop thinking about the need to diet and more about a lifestyle change. I think people who are "dieting" are too strict on themselves for the changes to be permanent and too hard on themselves when slip ups happen (which they will when you are too restrictive).

Expect to slip up. The key is getting back on the horse and not being too hard on yourself. This is a lifestyle. Make healthier choices every day and move more. Find an activity you love, whether it's a home dvd or joining a new sport. If you don't love it, you aren't going to stick with it. So try new things. Maybe you love something this month but get tired of it next month, so try something new.

And yes, drink lots of water. Sometimes dehydration feels like hunger, so people eat when they should be drinking.

And don't expect all the changes you need to make to happen over night. Maybe pick one non-scale goal a week- drink 8 glasses/day, 30 minute walk 5 times this week, getting 8 hrs of sleep, no more soda, etc- and let them slowly build on each other.

Good luck!
  • melanielmartinez56
    melanielmartinez56 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The 2 minutes of eating isn't worth ruining your body. Do you want to look good, or do you want to eat yourself further in to obesity? It helped me to get down to what it really is - you have no self control. Sugar coating it or continuing what you are doing isn't going to work. There isn't some sort of magic trick that makes people lose weight, put the fork down and work out.
    i actually agree 100% with you! i need to stop playing around and realize what im doing to myself!