I've fallen in love with gothic belly dance!

Options
It's belly dance with a whole lot more drama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlzK9SzEak0&list=PLfXgI91svwvaI_PIPbs322qVfq8Fmpp3o&index=1

Seeing as how I HATE ordinary exercise (I will do it once it stops hurting like hell to do it!), this kind of new love seems great for exercise.

But I am over 300 pounds. Is it safe or am I running the risk of a back injury? I ask because alot of it revolves around belly curls and such.

(And don't worry, I wont scare anyone. It'll stay strictly in my bedroom until the weight's off. teehee!)

Replies

• zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    I say go for it! if it feels uncomfortable, ease up. it sounds fascinating! im going to check this video out tonight! :)
  • krfierro
    krfierro Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey, that sounds super fun! I used to belly dance years ago (okay....I took the class and dropped out twice!), and I was over 300 lbs. then. I loved it!!! How do you do it? jAre you jn a class? Is the you tube addy you posted what you are following? I'm really, really interested in checking this out! Thanks and I hope you just keep doing it!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I hear good things about prancercise.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    sounds interesting; copied/pasted the link - got nothing

Just don't push through pain; respect it.
  • Woodsmoke
    Woodsmoke Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear other ladies have done it :D

The link is a playlist of gothic belly dance videos. :)

Edit: Altered the link now.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Wow, that looks pretty interesting!

Be careful, and listen to your body. But go for it!
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    sounds interesting; copied/pasted the link - got nothing

Just don't push through pain; respect it.

It didn't work for me at first, but it looks like it has been fixed.
  • Woodsmoke
    Options
    When you've watched it, let me know what you think. :)
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    YAY FOR YOU!!!!

I've been taking classes for about 3 months now, and I'm in the intermediate program. My teacher specialized in the gothic/tribal dance.

My words of advice to you (from someone 199lbs, started dancing at 205, and lost a pant size in a month while watching calories), PRACTICE. When you have a teacher telling you certain ways to do the moves, listen to them. They are telling you the tips and secrets of how to dance without hurting yourself. Yes, it can seem unnatural at first, but with practice, the moves start flowing and working the way they should.

EXTRA BONUS FOR ME: I haven't been to the chiropractor in 2 months. Practicing and dancing has helped my hips out SO MUCH, especially since I have a sit-down job.

Another word of advice: GET JINGLIES!!! My friend and I who are taking the class bought belts and jinglies for fun during practice, but it actually helps add a little more weight, adding to the calorie burn. Plus, who doesn't love watching and hearing their jinglies???? bellyscarf.com has some great, and low cost outfits and accessories for your dance.

Add me as a friend if you'd like!!

Best wishes!!!!!
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options

Great! Now I'm turned on...
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    In any exercise, including belly dance, you should listen to your body and not work beyond your current fitness level...belly dance is a low impact exercise, very suitable for beginner activity level, and it evolved in a region of the world where more curvy women were considered beautiful and healthy so you will find that most of the dance moves are MORE easily seen on women with large round hips and thighs, it's very good core work and will strengthen your back/abs, but always listen to your body when starting out!!! I've been doing oriental dance for almost 12 years - love it!!!
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    Options

LOL! Funny you said that because I have a friend who's now obsessed with belly dancers....

especially pregnant ones, for some reason.... :laugh:
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options

LOL! Funny you said that because I have a friend who's now obsessed with belly dancers....

especially pregnant ones, for some reason.... :laugh:

PREGNANT BELLY DANCERS!!!... Well that got rid of my hard-on.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    Options
    A lot of women look for belly dancing to help with relaxing the muscles in the hips towards the end of pregnancy for delivery.

I've seen quite a few videos of pregnant dancers, and the only thing I cringe at is the belly rolls. That poor baby!! LOL
  • SweetLilyR
    SweetLilyR Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Totally hooked!! I took bellydancing as a fluff course in college and again when I was pregnant with my kids...Now I'm so ready to start dancing again, especially if it means I can pull out some of my goth outfits from the attic...

I can't wait to see the expression on my hubby's face when I start practicing it in our bedroom!
  • LadyMud17
    LadyMud17 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Cool! Loved it,,, I wish I was a dancer
  • Woodsmoke
    Options
    Glad people liked it *wicked grin*

mwahahahaha, my plan to turn everyone into a belly-dancer is working heehee! ;)
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    haha yes! i love belly dancing of all varieties. that's one of my 'rewards' when i reach my goal weight - a super sexy belly dancing outfit. :)
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I got go for it! It is lower impact and wonderful exercise and tons of fun. And much harder than it looks! I have been dancing more than 3 years and still feel close to a "beginner". I went to Tribalfest in may and saw beautiful, amazing dancers of all shapes and sizes. :heart:
    ETA there is a group on here called Belly Buddies that could use more activity :)
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I have been doing tribal, etc. for 5+ years & have never hurt myself. It's great to learn control of your body and goes a long way in helping your feel good about how you look & move. ps. as my favorite teacher always says. Belly Dancing is for Every Body, it doesn't matter what body shape you have, anyone can do it & look good doing it.