Vegans/gluten free

Options
Are there any vegans out there? I am looking for new ideas on meals. I especially am looking for ideas on proteins and calcium that dont all consist of tofu and nuts. I do eat tofu a couple of times per week. I eat a handful of nuts daily. I dont know how to bring my protein and calcium levels up without going over my calories for the day.
I'd love to hear what other ppl are doing? Maybe we could share diaries? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• storknursekelly
    storknursekelly Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I eat beans everyday, which have alot of protein & complex carbs with loads of fiber, feel free to spy on my diary lol, it's kinda boring but it gets me loads of fiber & plenty of protein. Spinach, Kale have good sources of calcium. Thanks for adding me too :)
  • glindaz
    glindaz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was eating beans daily and still eat them often. I had a bad case of huge kidney stones though and I read that beans/legumes could also be a cause. So I have been cutting back.
    I totally love kale and spinach so that works out. I really enjoy baked kale chips with light olive oil and sea salt.
    I also like baked chick peas.
    Thanks for the input and I'll check out your diary. You are free to check out mine, although I have only started this week.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I am vegan & gluten free. Not currently logging in my diary, but here for questions if you have them. I would also recommend beans, peas, lentils - depending on what kind of kidney stones you have and how much you find legumes affect them. Do you know which kind of kidney stones you get?

The oxalate content varies a lot from one bean to another, check out this study for which are the safest (check out the other charts too):

http://www.2ndchance.info/oxalate-dogChai2005oxalatecontentfoods.pdf

The purine/uric acid levels of legumes is still quite a bit lower than that of meats:

http://www.acumedico.com/purine.htm

If you are consuming enough calories and eating whole foods, you should be getting enough protein, even if you were just eating potatoes. You don't need to seek out high-protein foods, which by definition are hard on the kidneys.