When someone gives you unasked for advice at the gym

Options
whierd
whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
If they are trying to be helpful and are fit: Smile and nod. Research it later if you are curious.

If they are trying to be helpful and are not fit: Smile and nod. Research it later if you are curious.

If they are lecturing you: Thank you, but I'm following my own program and I'm seeing results, so I'll stick with it.

What NOT to do: Get upset and tell everyone that someone had the audacity to give you advice, despite their current fitness level.

Replies

• chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I actually think you're acting like a high schooler this time...

good job muffin :flowerforyou:
  • whierd
    Options
    :laugh:
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    This is why if I ever workout in public (which is rare) the earbuds stay in my ears as if they were glued there! And I make as little eye contact as possible. The only exception is hiking. Because I've never had someone tell me how to walk a trail better. Yet.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If they are trying to be helpful and are fit: Smile and nod. Research it later if you are curious.

If they are trying to be helpful and are not fit: Smile and nod. Research it later if you are curious.

If they are lecturing you: Thank you, but I'm following my own program and I'm seeing results, so I'll stick with it.

What NOT to do: Get upset and tell everyone that someone had the audacity to give you advice, despite their current fitness level.

You can't tell me what to do! I'm a special snowflake and I do what I want!
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options

Dude try this http://youtu.be/6cg3drpSmeI
  • whierd
    Options

Dude try this http://youtu.be/6cg3drpSmeI

Oh man, that much lentils will have you on the toilet losing weight.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    i will do what I want.
  • whierd
    Options

You can't lift as heavy as you do! It is unnatural!
  • whierd
    Options
    i will do what I want.

Don't make me get the flog.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Gym threads make me glad I decided to get my own barbell set up to lift at home.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

This is generally what I do. Sometimes it's more about the way they go about it rather than what they are saying. A friend and I were doing pull-ups (un-assisted, assisted and negative) and these big muscley (but definitely not lean) guys working on the machine next to us gave us some tips. The tips were helpful and informed but they kept staring at us while we were working out, making us feel uncomfortable and interrupting our workout. If they had just waited until we were between sets or finished and kept not kept staring it would have been okay.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Gym threads make me glad I decided to get my own barbell set up to lift at home.

Can I join your home gym?..no?
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Can I smile and nod then complain to everyone?
  • whierd
    Options

It really isn't that bad at the gym. Most people just take a lot of things offensively. Of course, there ARE the outliers that really do get annoying at the gym.
  • sarajeanelles
    sarajeanelles Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm only a 'beginner' in the lifting world, as in, I go through the weights in the circuit a Bodyplex, I don't do anything with free weights, and I'm really not interested. Well I have been doing this for about 2 months now and I am definitely seeing results. So last week on an upper body day, I get on the butterfly press machine to work my back and suddenly a dude asks if he can help, I say sure and he adjusts the machine so that I am doing it correctly...... so I had it on the setting for your chest the entire past two months like an idiot, and the worst thing it that this machine is DIRECTLY in front. of the desk where all of the trainers congregate, so sometimes the help is warranted and needed, although it did make me feel slightly like an idiot ;).
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I always welcome advice at the gym....as long as it is related to what I am currently doing. If I am using a machine wrong and am in danger of injuring myself, tell me! When the director encouraged me to try the new torture device aka cardio machine, I jumped on and appreciated his confidence in my abilities.
    But if you want to tell me about the latest diet endorsed by Dr. Oz, just keep on walking.
  • whierd
    Options
    Can I smile and nod then complain to everyone?

I don't wanna hear it!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

LOL! You tell him!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I usually just say "ok, thanks" and keep doing my thing, ignoring them. They get the hint. Their opinions don't matter to me. We both move on.

Once so far this one guy have taken it a bit too far. He actually came behind me while I was struggling with my OHP and started helping me lift. Now, when I say struggle I don't mean I was about to drop it it was just struggle. I asked him to leave it be but he kept continue pushing my arm to help me. I finished my workout (he only helped me with 2 reps since thats all that was left) and he started doing his Dead lift. I went behind him and started "helping" him while thinking of naked Claudia Schiffer doing nasty things with me. He turned around, looked at me funny and I said "what, I'm helping you bro. Don't be a ***** and keep lifting!".

He hasn't bugged me since I poked him with the one eyed snake...
  • whierd
    Options
    I'm only a 'beginner' in the lifting world, as in, I go through the weights in the circuit a Bodyplex, I don't do anything with free weights, and I'm really not interested. Well I have been doing this for about 2 months now and I am definitely seeing results. So last week on an upper body day, I get on the butterfly press machine to work my back and suddenly a dude asks if he can help, I say sure and he adjusts the machine so that I am doing it correctly...... so I had it on the setting for your chest the entire past two months like an idiot, and the worst thing it that this machine is DIRECTLY in front. of the desk where all of the trainers congregate, so sometimes the help is warranted and needed, although it did make me feel slightly like an idiot ;).

But while you took his advice and assistance graciously, another person would have been incredibly upset and felt hassled, then would come to the forums and make a thread about it. I am glad that you took his advice though!