When someone gives you unasked for advice at the gym

Options

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    i will do what I want.

Don't make me get the flog.

Ohhhhhh what do I have to do to get you get the flog???
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m374kvEJei1rqfhi2o1_500_zpsc1deb7d9.gif
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I usually just say "ok, thanks" and keep doing my thing, ignoring them. They get the hint. Their opinions don't matter to me. We both move on.

Once so far this one guy have taken it a bit too far. He actually came behind me while I was struggling with my OHP and started helping me lift. Now, when I say struggle I don't mean I was about to drop it it was just struggle. I asked him to leave it be but he kept continue pushing my arm to help me. I finished my workout (he only helped me with 2 reps since thats all that was left) and he started doing his Dead lift. I went behind him and started "helping" him while thinking of naked Claudia Schiffer doing nasty things with me. He turned around, looked at me funny and I said "what, I'm helping you bro. Don't be a ***** and keep lifting!".

He hasn't bugged me since I poked him with the one eyed snake...

:laugh: :laugh:
  • sarajeanelles
    sarajeanelles Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Also, I have been an avid spinner for the past several years and was always too scared to enter the intimidating weights area of the gym. Mostly b/c is 75% guys who are HUGE and I had no idea what to do. So one day after getting back into the swing of things after having my daughter I was like 'what the heck, I bet all of these people are scared s*%tless of doing my spin class so I'm gonna grow a pair and try this weight lifting thing out". That's how I started, but it is really intimidating for us newbies and if the guy who helped me would have gone about it in a mean way on one of my first days trying out then I probably would have high tailed it out of there and never returned, lol.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I tell them to gtfo of my house. Home gyms are fun.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I'm only a 'beginner' in the lifting world, as in, I go through the weights in the circuit a Bodyplex, I don't do anything with free weights, and I'm really not interested. Well I have been doing this for about 2 months now and I am definitely seeing results. So last week on an upper body day, I get on the butterfly press machine to work my back and suddenly a dude asks if he can help, I say sure and he adjusts the machine so that I am doing it correctly...... so I had it on the setting for your chest the entire past two months like an idiot, and the worst thing it that this machine is DIRECTLY in front. of the desk where all of the trainers congregate, so sometimes the help is warranted and needed, although it did make me feel slightly like an idiot ;).

But while you took his advice and assistance graciously, another person would have been incredibly upset and felt hassled, then would come to the forums and make a thread about it. I am glad that you took his advice though!

Yep, it can definitely be helpful it they approach you in the right manner. Shame on those trainers for not helping you out earlier.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    If they are trying to be helpful and are fit: Smile and nod. Research it later if you are curious.

If they are trying to be helpful and are not fit: Smile and nod. Research it later if you are curious.

If they are lecturing you: Thank you, but I'm following my own program and I'm seeing results, so I'll stick with it.

What NOT to do: Get upset and tell everyone that someone had the audacity to give you advice, despite their current fitness level.

:heart:
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Gym threads make me glad I decided to get my own barbell set up to lift at home.

Sure wish I had that kinda money. =\
  • whierd
    Options
    Also, I have been an avid spinner for the past several years and was always too scared to enter the intimidating weights area of the gym. Mostly b/c is 75% guys who are HUGE and I had no idea what to do. So one day after getting back into the swing of things after having my daughter I was like 'what the heck, I bet all of these people are scared s*%tless of doing my spin class so I'm gonna grow a pair and try this weight lifting thing out". That's how I started, but it is really intimidating for us newbies and if the guy who helped me would have gone about it in a mean way on one of my first days trying out then I probably would have high tailed it out of there and never returned, lol.

I am the first to admit that ANY cardio class would have me curled up in a little ball after 5-10 minutes. :laugh:

And really, if I see someone who is obviously new and really struggling, I'll go help them out. If someone approaches me and asks how to do something correctly, I am more than glad to take the time to explain proper form, what muscles are involved, etc. But other than that, I pretty much keep to myself.
  • sarajeanelles
    sarajeanelles Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm only a 'beginner' in the lifting world, as in, I go through the weights in the circuit a Bodyplex, I don't do anything with free weights, and I'm really not interested. Well I have been doing this for about 2 months now and I am definitely seeing results. So last week on an upper body day, I get on the butterfly press machine to work my back and suddenly a dude asks if he can help, I say sure and he adjusts the machine so that I am doing it correctly...... so I had it on the setting for your chest the entire past two months like an idiot, and the worst thing it that this machine is DIRECTLY in front. of the desk where all of the trainers congregate, so sometimes the help is warranted and needed, although it did make me feel slightly like an idiot ;).

But while you took his advice and assistance graciously, another person would have been incredibly upset and felt hassled, then would come to the forums and make a thread about it. I am glad that you took his advice though!

Yep, it can definitely be helpful it they approach you in the right manner. Shame on those trainers for not helping you out earlier.

Yeah, I was ticked at them, I mean I know they watched me doing that wrong, twice a week for months.....not nice!
  • whierd
    Options

Yeah, I was ticked at them, I mean I know they watched me doing that wrong, twice a week for months.....not nice!

Well, then thing about trainers is that they are there to get paid for that sort of thing. So don't be too harsh on them. :smile:
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Well, then thing about trainers is that they are there to get paid for that sort of thing. So don't be too harsh on them. :smile:

True, but I can only see it being good for business to be helpful to potential clients.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I do what I want!

funny-gizmo0cat-dont-touch-hazelnut-animated-gif-pics.gif?w=294&h=167
  • whierd
    Options

True, but I can only see it being good for business to be helpful to potential clients.

I disagree, I think that the person would come up asking for help and questions a lot. Though, I hope I'm wrong.

I do ask one of the trainers at my gym to spot me from time to time though. I keep waiting for him to bill me. :tongue:
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I disagree, I think that the person would come up asking for help and questions a lot. Though, I hope I'm wrong.

I do ask one of the trainers at my gym to spot me from time to time though. I keep waiting for him to bill me. :tongue:

I keep waiting for him to bite me.

:angry:
  • whierd
    Options

I keep waiting for him to bite me.

:angry:

*Bite*
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Gym threads make me glad I decided to get my own barbell set up to lift at home.
    This. But you still get the occasional moron who is unfit and lecturing you on the internet, which is even stupider than all the gym scenarios because they can't even see well what you're doing.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    If they are trying to be helpful and are fit: Smile and nod. Research it later if you are curious.

If they are trying to be helpful and are not fit: Smile and nod. Research it later if you are curious.

If they are lecturing you: Thank you, but I'm following my own program and I'm seeing results, so I'll stick with it.

What NOT to do: Get upset and tell everyone that someone had the audacity to give you advice, despite their current fitness level.

When someone reads about someone else who doesn't like unsolicited advice at the gym and doesn't like the thread they started about it.

What NOT to do: Start an entirely new thread expressing how you don't think that person should have acted that way and offer other alternatives about how that person should have handled the situation.
  • whierd
    Options

When someone reads about someone else who doesn't like unsolicited advice at the gym and doesn't like the thread they started about it.

What NOT to do: Start an entirely new thread expressing how you don't think that person should have acted that way and offer other alternatives about how that person should have handled the situation.

Yeah, alternatives are bad. Better to just get upset.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Posting this here was inappropriate. You should have started a new thread instead.