confused about whey protein powder

Options
does anyone use protein shakes such as jillian michaels, whey etc, are they good for weight loss or are they unhealthy, so confused about whether to start using protein powder what do you think?

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Honestly, with all the stuff going on with Jillian Michaels (four lawsuits in one year? Selling out and advertising for diet pills?!) I won't touch anything with her name on it.

I get whey protein muscle milk. It's great for brekkie and after workouts, sometimes if I can't have food but I'm starving (on the go, full time student/full time job). Fairly low calorie per serving, low carb and high in protein. I was gaining weight for a month no matter what I tried but once I switched the slimfast out for this stuff I lost three pounds in a week.
  • dcturcotte
    Options
    Look at protein as muscle food. It's good to take if you want to lose body fat while still maintaining lean muscle mass. Often times when you are losing weight your body will also lose lean muscle mass. Having the proper protein intake is important for your muscles to maintain themselves. This is why people building muscle practically shower in the stuff, they need significantly more protein to feed their muscles so they can grow.. Obviously you don't need as much as them. To determine whether or not protein whey is right for you look at your protein intake. If you go to the gym a lot taking a protein powder on those days is often a good idea because your body breaks down protein compounds quicker on account of feeding your muscle. determining how much protein you need and getting all your protein is very important IMO

Are you getting enough protein during the day? Check your food diary!
  • sunset19
    sunset19 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use "designer whey" powders and mix them in skim milk. One "shake" is about 200 calories then. it's a great post-workout snack! And they taste pretty good too. This will give you lots of protein as well as calcium!
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    I use whey shakes (GNC brand) for after weight workouts to help repair muscles. Also I find it hard some days to eat enough natural protein so I grab a shake to help out. I work to make sure I am not using the shakes as a meal replacement.

I would not use it as a weight loss system because we are supposed to be changing our eating lifestyles and unless one is planning to have shakes as a permanent part of your diet one should use Whey shakes as a boost or helper.

just my two cents :smile:
  • dcturcotte
    Options
    I use whey shakes (GNC brand) for after weight workouts to help repair muscles. Also I find it hard some days to eat enough natural protein so I grab a shake to help out. I work to make sure I am not using the shakes as a meal replacement.

I would not use it as a weight loss system because we are supposed to be changing our eating lifestyles and unless one is planning to have shakes as a permanent part of your diet one should use Whey shakes as a boost or helper.

just my two cents :smile:

X2, I agree you should work it into your lifestyle then simply part of a weight loss system
  • Hibpshman1
    Options
    Good comment posted previously about it being a back up or supplement. With proper planning and packing a lunch and snacks the night before (takes discipline, but it is worth it) a fairly protein rich assortment of food can be had during the day without the need to spend money on whey powder.

Work out, eat good natural foods with sufficient amounts of fiber and protein and you'll have a recipe for success! Remember to count the calories in the whey protein shake or bar in your daily intake if you do use it for a supplement.

Good luck!
  • johnphays
    Options
    Protein powder is to help build muscle after you tear it down when you workout. Your body needs some kind of protein, and since eating tons of meat isn't practical all the time, protein powders are a convenient way to replenish that fuel source. Just keep in mind that the burning side must come into play as well, or else that protein turns into fat.

I base most of my protein powder consumption on Shakeology, since it also provides natural energy, all my vitamins and veggies for the day, probiotics, and digestive enzymes, so I'm getting a lot more bang for my buck in one shake!