Fun Exercises to Build Muscle

Options
So I hate exercise. Like really really hate it. I mean I love the way it makes me feel, but the whole culture of the gym and the idea of doing repetitive actions with weights is not fun for me. I find it incredibly difficult to keep up this kind of exercise. Cardio is so much easier because I get cardio exercise from dance, hiking, swimming, or other activities I enjoy. Even when running outside, at least I'm going somewhere and enjoying the outdoors.

I am finding that discovering fun muscle building exercises is really difficult. And when they are not fun, it's a lot harder for me to keep it up. I have tried to do it with a buddy, but so far no success. Is there any types of fun ways to build muscle, or am I just going to have to buckle down and tolerate crunches and squats for the rest of my life?

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I like lifting heavy things and putting them back down. Lots of fun for me.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Have you considered fitocracy.com?

I've never used it but have heard about it. Apparently you enter your lifting numbers/work outs there and you get "points" for however much you do. You can treat it like a game and gaining more "points" might motivate you more?

Also, are you eating at a caloric surplus?
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    So I hate exercise. Like really really hate it. I mean I love the way it makes me feel, but the whole culture of the gym and the idea of doing repetitive actions with weights is not fun for me. I find it incredibly difficult to keep up this kind of exercise. Cardio is so much easier because I get cardio exercise from dance, hiking, swimming, or other activities I enjoy. Even when running outside, at least I'm going somewhere and enjoying the outdoors.

I am finding that discovering fun muscle building exercises is really difficult. And when they are not fun, it's a lot harder for me to keep it up. I have tried to do it with a buddy, but so far no success. Is there any types of fun ways to build muscle, or am I just going to have to buckle down and tolerate crunches and squats for the rest of my life?

it is fun when you would imagine who you would bite while you lift the weights.
  • tinabatinaflc
    Options
    I like lifting heavy things and putting them back down. Lots of fun for me.

i'm with you.
  • CrimsonNBlues
    CrimsonNBlues Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    @BeachIron: Lol, that's awesome for you. I wish it was fun for me. :( Maybe if the heavy things were like a cute puppy or a really hot person. :)

@adini: That sounds like a cool idea. I'll have to check it out, thanks. :) Also, I'm not sure what you mean by your question about caloric surplus? I've been trying to stay around my goal, although I see things more as a weekly average than a daily pass or fail.
  • CrimsonNBlues
    Options

it is fun when you would imagine who you would bite while you lift the weights.

I mostly like to bite apples. Only sometimes people.
  • adriennepaolini
    Options
    If you have problems with the muscle build add weight ... no not like that place wrist and or ankle weights on during your walks you are still "lifting" weight but while doing something you enjoy .. sometimes tweeking something you like works best.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy kettlebell workouts. Here's a link to a great workout series on DVD:

Thttp://www.amazon.com/Iron-Core-Kettlebell-Sarah-Lurie/dp/B005FRWTSO/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1372375751&sr=1-1&keywords=kettlebell

Good luck! I hope you find something you enjoy, it definitely makes the process easier. :)
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Using new pieces of equipment and varying your exercises can make things more fun. For example, incorporating a swiss ball, bosu or dyna disk into your lifting can make things challenging and fun. Make sure to switch up the exercises so you don't get bored. An interesting trend is to label a deck of cards with exercises and let it create your workout for you. Just a couple of ideas.
  • Randyamc
    Randyamc Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Rock climbing...
    Teach yourself how to do a handstand, then a walking handstand...
    Buy one of those elliptical bikes and find some hills...
    Take up gymnastics...
    Play on a play ground that has the monkey bars and climbing ladder...
    Speed twister with a weighted vest...
    Try Poi for exercise...

Ok, that's all I got. Good luck to you!! :smile:
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Do you have any projects to do around the house? You can build a good deal of muscle swinging an axe, sledge hammer, or something similar. Shoveling dirt/snow, laying bricks, etc also is a great workout. If you can't find anything around your house to do try volunteering, they'll put you to work. I also see you like swimming, swimming does provide some resistance as well as cardio...
  • CrimsonNBlues
    Options
    Using new pieces of equipment and varying your exercises can make things more fun. For example, incorporating a swiss ball, bosu or dyna disk into your lifting can make things challenging and fun. Make sure to switch up the exercises so you don't get bored. An interesting trend is to label a deck of cards with exercises and let it create your workout for you. Just a couple of ideas.

Oooo I like the card idea. Not sure why i didn't think of that because I use it with my students all the time for Speech Therapy activities. Thanks!
  • CrimsonNBlues
    Options
    Speed twister with a weighted vest...

Best. Idea. Ever.

Ok, this will be part of my next game night. :)
  • oofdieblunk
    oofdieblunk Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Oooo I like the card idea. Not sure why i didn't think of that because I use it with my students all the time for Speech Therapy activities. Thanks!
    [/quote]

We always carry cards- it's what we do!
  • LindaGTaylor
    LindaGTaylor Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You may want to invest in wrist or ankle weights. I use them when walking, cleaning, when I do the shopping, and other times.
    We also have a boardwalk area here the has two sets of stairs that I walk up and down while wearing the weights (what keeps this from being boring is it is out doors and at the inter-coastal waterway).
    You can even wear them while dancing.

I hope this helps you... Good Luck in your weight loss.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I find that it's a simple matter of sensory input--It is entirely possible to structure workout plans around tactile sensory input forms that appeal to you, such as working against the pull of gravity, or forward/back motions, or the feeling of explosive bursts of movement. This is an area I have focused heavily on and come up with plans that work great for others (as well as myself) as sensory input is a big part of life for me.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Rock climbing...
    Take up gymnastics...
    Play on a play ground that has the monkey bars and climbing ladder...

These things in particular. Was at the climbing centre for over 3 hours on Tuesday.

Really ache now, though. :laugh:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Compounds babeh. Front squats, clean and jerk, snatch, snatch grip press, bench press, back squat, deadlift. If you don't find those challenging, the weight is too low :D