Weight lifting

Options
Do any weight lifters on here have to work out alone? I value the help and competitiveness with a work out partner, but I haven't been able to find someone to work out with. I end up having to use a lot of machine weights for lack of a spotter. How have some of you dealt with this issue?

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Start out light and gradually increase the weight until you get to the point where you're having difficulty with the last rep of your last set. Unfortunately this is about all you can do. You have to have a realistic idea of your limits and try to lift as safely as possible.

If you're at the gym, just ask someone around you for a spot. Most people are willing.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I lift alone and have for years. If your gym has squat rack/cage where you can adjust the safety catches you're golden. It's actually better to stop a rep or two short of failure most of the time.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    As suggested, lift as heavy as possible within safety margins then switch to a bodyweight exercise to go to failure safely. That way you get the best of both worlds. Example: Bench Press followed by Decline Pressups to failure. Squats followed by Single leg bodyweight squats.

Or just switch to complete session of progressive bodyweight exercises - just as intense if you choose the right movements for your own strength but safer without a spotter.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I prefer to lift alone, if I feel I need a spot I will ask someone to assist me....... and I prefer free weights to machine weights. you just have to stay within your means and work your way up in weight always concentrating on good form..... Best of Luck
  • 2113PrayForUsAll
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. My gym is usually full of kids who do nothing but talk, so working alone seems a lot easier to deal with. I can't stand people who only go to the gym to hang out. I pay my money to work, not socialize.
  • Scrogglez
    Scrogglez Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank me later bro:

http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html

Starting Strength Guide and a lot of cool ****.

Also do not bench press alone if you are going heavy. If your arms fatigue before you can lift the bar to the rest point you are kill yourself. At least 500 people die a year because they don't have a spotter and try to do heavy **** by themselves.

Go Hard but don't go alone!
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    never had a spotter in 10 years, always lift alone, and in and out of gym as quick as I can