Get Rich Quick... Get Poor Quick

Options
Ok - first off... I know the grammar is not correct in that title, but since it's my thread and I like the way it sounds... *sticks thumb on nose and says* NYAH NYAH

:wink:

I have coined / developed a saying that I've used a fair bit on here... I am not sure if it is mine, or if it's been adapted from somewhere else... I am not claiming originality... but it does seem to help some people, so here it is...

Get rich quick, get poor quick. Build your wealth on your own, and you're more likely to preserve it.

Here's what I mean...

Trying to lose weight fast (aka get rich quick) will not work in the long run unless you are really lucky.
Rather, if you take your time, set a very mild deficit, work hard and fight to earn every stinking pound lost, then when you finally hit your goal, you will be that much more determined, and way better equipped to keep those pounds off.

You see stories all the time of people who win the lottery and blow it all on fast cars and shiny objects, and where do they usually end up? Broke! The same goes for people who aim to drop massive amounts of weight using any means necessary... they may succeed, but they often end up broke.
tumblr_m5qzkwM6AR1r6s1k8o1_500.gif

In my opinion. <~~~ KEYWORD IS OPINION...

Your goal should not be to:
- lose ten pounds by next week in time for my sister's wedding
- shed as much water weight as possible to fit into a dress that never fit in the first place
- drop 10 dress sizes in three weeks

While it is nice to have aggressive goals, and to push your limits... I would encourage you to set other types of goals...
- get in one clothes-drenching workout a week, and two decent activities
- learn about nutrition (no - not advocating that you find the latest fad, but learn just a little more about what is going into your body)
- eat better (not perfect, but better)
- stick to your calorie goals (reasonable ones - see below)
- train your mind to welcome your changes to your body (because trust me... when you get to goal, if you haven't trained your mind at the same time, you will still feel fat)

I believe that you have a much better chance of preserving the wealth if you have to work hard to get it.
278308451942349293_H0iGggNt_f.jpg

As for me... when people ask me about my calories... I am at maintenance now, but have never striven for more than 1/2 pound lost per week. It has taken me almost three years to get here, and I'm not done.. In fact I fell off the wagon and have gained about 5 pounds... But I am much better equipped to fight to stay where I am.

And by golly, I refuse to blow it now.

Replies

• Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Great post, Sandy!! I love all those $1's rainin' down!!! :happy:
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Great advice for people who are just starting out like me. Thank you!
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mk0j4kjoVS1rmcgo1o1_400.gif
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Good advice!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    It's fine advice. The "0 lb lost" ticker at the end is kinda funny though.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    It's fine advice. The "0 lb lost" ticker at the end is kinda funny though.

I was 185 before I started this process. 170 when I joined mfp.

I have lost a total of 15 pounds, yes. But I've also lost 6 dress sizes because I lost fat and built muscle.

I was not obese. I never claimed to be. But I made it through "those last 15 pounds" and it was because of gradual lifestyle changes.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water... Just sayin
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Awesome post and a sentiment I have expressed several times.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Make it rain
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    - learn about nutrition (no - not advocating that you find the latest fad, but learn just a little more about what is going into your body)

Most important part in my mind. You can't out train bad nutrition...
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Spoken like a master. :D

(p.s. who can argue with dem abs?)
  • Lmans77
    Lmans77 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    great post!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    :heart: this!
  • erikalanem
    erikalanem Posts: 48
    Options
    THANK YOU!!! :)
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • hayleymc3
    hayleymc3 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    All good advice! If I could add one thing (coming from someone who lost 93 pounds and gained most back).

Lose weight for the right reasons! By that I mean, lose weight to become healthier, have better self-esteem, etc. These are the motivating factors that lead to long term success (and exactly why I gained some of my weight back!)
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Spoken like a master. :D

(p.s. who can argue with dem abs?)

dem SERIOUS abs! LOL

"All great achievements require time." - Maya Angelou
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind responses. :heart:

@hayleymc3 - this is so true... you have to do it for the right reasons, for you and you alone (not just because your spouse/parents/friends think you should); for health; for fitness. The way you end up looking is a huge perk, but the way you feel is amazing!