How sore is too sore?

Options
I completely overdid it on squats and step-ups on Tuesday, and my quads are aching today.

I have been hydrating like crazy, and I took an anti-inflammatory prescription last night, and I still can barely get myself out of a chair or up the stairs.

Should I take another one and work out tonight (different routine - leg work includes DL and lunges) or rest? If I'm resting, when should I work out again? Will additional protein supplements help at all? Thank you for your advice!

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You have the rest of your life to get in shape. There is no point in making the process more painful than it has to be. Take a rest day and work them again when they don't hurt..

The muscles need to heal. The only thing that you can give them to heal is time.
  • huisfi
    huisfi Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You have the rest of your life to get in shape. There is no point in making the process more painful than it has to be. Take a rest day and work them again when they don't hurt..

The muscles need to heal. The only thing that you can give them to heal is time.

Agree! Do not overdo it or you will burn out and be in unnecessary pain!
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Based on what you're saying, a rest day for your legs is probably a good idea. You may feel equally sore tomorrow as well.

I have found that it's possible to temporarily alleviate the discomfort with, believe it or not, exercise. Nothing intense, but a short walk can diminish (not eliminate) some of the soreness. And I have been able to feel this diminished soreness when I have done an intense upper body workout (increased blood flow to the legs, maybe?).

Other anecdotal remedies to minimize soreness: foam rolling before and after a workout, static stretching after a workout, hot bath/shower (with or without epsom salt) after a workout, occasional-to-regular massages on your rest days, supplements (anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen, BCAAs, Citruline Malite).

I hope you recover quickly so you can get back at it. The good thing is that with regular exercise, your body will adapt and the issues of soreness will become more of a rarity.
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I felt like this a couple weeks ago, like I could not go up and down the stairs or sit on the pot to go to the bathroom. It was excruciating!! I took a couple days off and on my next work out I was just as sore so I took another 2 days off. Now I am usually sore but def not as bad as before. I would say drink lots of water, protein and black tea is very good work achey mussels. Hope u feel better soon
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The good thing is that with regular exercise, your body will adapt and the issues of soreness will become more of a rarity.
    My experience is that when starting an exercise program it only takes about 10 days to get past the bad soreness part as long as I take it kind of easy the first week to 10 days. After that I can hit it hard with only minor stiffness and soreness that is gone by the 2d day.

Twice I have exercised myself into rhabdomyolysis (http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-library/exercise-overexertion) when starting a new weights program. What I found was that what causes rhabdomyolysis the first day back barely causes any soreness at all a couple of weeks later as long as start easy and gradually increase the workload over a week or two time period.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I was like this all day yesterday. I felt like I'd been hit by a truck! I could hardly move from the waist down from squats and lunges. Took yesterday off from working out and drank a ton of water. Took 2 Aleve in the morning as well. Still sore today, but got up and did my regular circuit training and I'm feeling better. Still sore, but not nearly as bad. It gets better. Just remember to listen to your body. Take breaks from time to time and drink plenty of fluids.
  • heavenleighrose
    Options
    I would say that each person has their own idea of what "too sore" means, but if you're having trouble doing normal activities, then you should consider that you are definitely too sore. I don't make a habit of pushing myself too far on weight-lifting type exercises anymore, since over time you can cause way more harm than good. A steady, challenging workout is best when you're getting your body used to the added strain. It sounds like you've done a good job of prepping your muscles for the healing phase of your workout, but you must let them rest, or you will undo all of your hard work! In the meantime, try a bath with epsom salt or a nice massage with Aspercreme. No medicinal smell to either of those, so no one has to know how badly you were hurting.
  • Jaceface27
    Jaceface27 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just started going back to the gym for strength training (which i missed dearly!) and reflecting on my previous attempts at getting back to strength training in the past I knew that I had to "take it easy" during my weeks slowly getting back into the habit. I used to be so sore that it hurt to roll over at night!

This time I around I took it slow and am happy with the soreness that I'm feeling. It's there-- but not intense. Like a few other member above have recommended-- light exercise when you're sore helps alleviate that sore feeling. Even if it's playing some of your favorite songs in your basement and dancing for 20-30 minutes, it'll help loosen you up.

Also what helps me is stretching. After my cardio days I will do about 20-30 minutes of stretching afterwards-- it helps greatly!

Hope you're feeling better! Remember to drink water and Naproxen should help too! :-)
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Tart cherry juice from a health store. has more antinflammatory properties than medication. Used by many athletes. It has to be tart cherry juice.
  • meggyannpt
    meggyannpt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, exercise can help relieve some of the soreness. Try taking a walk, you'll loosen up after 5-10 minutes. Then stretch out after (just go til you feel a gentle pull and hold for at least 30 seconds). Definitely give your legs a break for a day or 2 from the intense strength training so the muscles can recover. If the soreness doesn't go away after about 2 days that means you probably need to back off during your next work out.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no, I wouldn't push it with more of the same until it doesn't hurt. An easy swim helps me when I feel like that. (Not on the hurtingest day, the day after that.)
  • giggy1
    giggy1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You may be experiencing Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS), typically develops in the first 24 hours and lasts 24-48 hours. You just overdid it a bit. Rhabdomyolysis is caused from extreme/severe exertion and is a very serious condition.

It is important to only do a couple of sets of lower weights 12-15 reps early in the routine to ease in (first week or two). If you can't do 12-15 reps you are going too heavy.

Warm up with walking 15-30 min. then do some static stretching (hold for atleast 30 sec.) to lengthen the muscles, decrease tightness, and decrease pain. Stretching should be uncomfortable but not painful. Keep moving, eat healthy, drink fluids. It's okay to work other body parts if you feel up to it just keep it lighter and fewer sets. A week off after 4-6 weeks to let the body rest is typically sufficient.

Good luck with your goals!
  • TMcChamp
    TMcChamp Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I did boot camp last thursday, felt amazing... 2 am friday morning i wake and need a bathroom break... I could not sit down, the quads and hams where in AGONY, got worse as the day went on, a little better saturday but i was determined to go to a second boot camp (run by an idol of mine) so extra protein, magnesium and dencorub came out (please note, when dencorub says do not apply after a shower... they mean it.... i thought i was going to blister). Anyway come sunday morning i was 60% improved. I warmed up and did what i could with in limits (still pushed myself but read my aches).
    Getting back into the exercise seemed to help a lot. The pain was gone after that.