"Rest" days

Options
My wedding is in 5 weeks. I have about 9 pounds left to lose. (It's not just vanity, I thought I ordered the right size wedding dress but the damn thing was too small!)

So my question is, on my "rest" days, is it still a good idea to take a 30 minute, 3 mph walk? How about a 30 minute leisurely swim? Or does EVERYTHING need to rest on the rest day?

Only, I'm getting a bit addicted to activity. But I need optimum results.

Thank you!!!

Replies

• Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Actually I do, on my "Rest Days" , do something along those lines, either a walk or a 30 min jog with the dog, anything like that. It helps me keep my motivation etc.
  • ileitch
    ileitch Posts: 99
    Options
    Certainly, walk or swim every day. I do.
    (Ha - "I do" - wedding coming up)
    Good luck.
    :smile:
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Rest days are exactly that REST days. Anything more than a casual walk with the dog is more than rest. Unless of course your activity on the other days is not that significant, then rest days can be eliminated totally. But when I first started training for triathlons/duathlons last spring, I also pushed too far & my body let me know in various forms, including reduced weight loss, trouble sleeping, feeling exhausted, etc. Be careful.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    2-3 days a week I go to the gym and do cardio, weight train and swim, for about 80-110 minutes, burning anywhere from 1000-1300 calories. 2-3 times a week I do Wii or swimming for 40-60 minutes (500ish cals). So the remaining 1-2 days, I'm just not sure if I should be hanging out, or taking a walk, or taking a light swim.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Just listen to your body. Usually when my rest day rolls around I KNOW it's time for a rest. Not to say I won't do "anything". But definatly nothing approaching the impact of my workouts.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You should give yourself at least one a week so your muscles can heal and actually get stronger, you'd hate to end up being an injured bride! Although for me a 3 mph walk is leisurely so if it just that a little stroll then no biggie BUT I would highly recommend you take that one day rest......it will make you stronger :wink:
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Liesurely is the key. It is certainy ok to MOVE, but don't get your HR up. So a relaxig swim, an easy walk around the block. But nothing intense. And if you start to feel exhausted, then you're doing too much!
  • WeightingForSara
    WeightingForSara Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Give yourself at least one day a week to do NO physcial activity. Your muscles need time to rest, and when they do it really boosts your metabolism!
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    You should take a day for yourself. :flowerforyou:
    I didn't exercise today just because.
    Tomorrow is another day and I will
    start again. If you exercise everyday you
    are allowed a day of rest just to do nothing.
    I recommend it!!:drinker:
  • dcturcotte
    Options
    a 30 minute 3mph walk is more then acceptable on a rest day. I agree you should listen to your body but I think it will certainly allow for a little walk, and if you like the activity then don't feel you have to deprive yourself of that just because it's a rest day, it's not like your running a marathon your just walking the dog