85lbs lost...hit my last weight loss goal today!

Options
tatd_820
tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
I started with MFP on January 31, 2012 weighing in at 250lbs and wearing a size 18 and XL or XXL shirt. At my year I was down 65lbs. Today, almost 17 months later, I am down 85lbs and am comfortably fitting into a size 10 and Medium tops. Most importantly I am feeling more content with myself than ever before! I NEVER, ever thought I would be here today, and I am.

My goals changed as I lost. First goal was to get under 200lbs. Once there, I didn't want to be anywhere near 200 so I went for 190. Then I thought I'd shoot for 185. All of the sudden, before I knew it, I'm 165lbs! I'm 5'9" and I think this is a good size for me so now I am entering the maintenance phase.

Over the last 17 months I've had to modify and change things up as my body changed. I've gone through several plateaus and they are sucky. All I can suggest is to just stick with it. Don't give up. I started with doing tons of cardio, mostly. I would ride that elliptical for 45mins and walk. A good year into I decided to buy a food scale to be more accurate with my food intake. Just a few months ago I switched from what MFP allotted me for my calorie intake (1290) to TDEE -20%. When doing this I implemented "heavy" lifting to tone the flab. I have seen a HUGE difference in my body since adding weights. I love the group fitness classes that my gym offers, if they are available to you, try them out. I purchased a HRM about 3 weeks ago.

My goals all along were not to weigh a certain weight or wear a certain size. They were always to be Healthy, Fit and Strong. I feel like I am pretty much there now. I am very nervous about the maintenance phase of this but I know I'll tackle it head on. No reason to give in now =)

Want to tell you MFP'ers who are just starting or who are struggling that this works and that you can do this. I did it alone, with no supplements, shakes, diet pills or scams. Every single choice you make adds up over time. Take it 5lbs at a time and you will reach your goals with consistency, determination, will power and hard work. It is well worth the challenge. I'm telling you that it feels so good to feel good so stick with it and start making changes today. My 17 months feel like it's been 4 months. Don't let life pass you by.....you deserve to be healthy!

Happy Logging!

Replies

• Flyer69
    Flyer69 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    awesome and very inspirational. :-)
  • choxmay
    choxmay Posts: 12
    Options
    Congratulations! You oughta be proud of yourself. I like the 'five pounds at a time' approach. Very inspiring for those of us who are just getting started on this journey.
  • J3nnyV
    J3nnyV Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Fantastic work and awesome success! Thank you for sharing your story - you're so inspiring!!
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You oughta be proud of yourself. I like the 'five pounds at a time' approach. Very inspiring for those of us who are just getting started on this journey.

I'm serious. When you say you need to lose 50-100lbs it sounds so unattainable. I literally took it 5lbs at a time. Small goals add up to huge success! I never have used the diet word. To me a diet is for someone who just needs to get 5 or 10lbs off. When you've got several sizes to drop, it becomes more of a lifestyle change and the word diet does not exist.
  • mimiteh35
    mimiteh35 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Congrats and thanks for this, it is inspirational!!
  • kittenkris
    kittenkris Posts: 112
    Options
    Awesome job! Can you PLEASE tell me one thing? What is TDEE? Sorry to ask such a dumb question but yours is the second post today that has that in it and I cannot figure out what it means. Thanks!
  • Maddius
    Maddius Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Love, Love, Love feel good, inspirational stories on a Friday. How good are You, congratulations and Well done.
  • VanCityFit
    VanCityFit Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational!! Thank you for sharing your story and inspiring so many people.
  • susiepet
    susiepet Posts: 68
    Options
    Well done! What an achievement in a really short time frame. I weigh just less then when you started so I'll just keep plugging along...
  • Harlequinndancer
    Harlequinndancer Posts: 86 Member
    Options

I'm serious. When you say you need to lose 50-100lbs it sounds so unattainable. I literally took it 5lbs at a time. Small goals add up to huge success! I never have used the diet word. To me a diet is for someone who just needs to get 5 or 10lbs off. When you've got several sizes to drop, it becomes more of a lifestyle change and the word diet does not exist.

I'm only two months into my new lifestyle and am also taking it 5 lbs at a time. It's very good to know that it's a realistic way of looking at it and your story is very inspirational. Congratulations!
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    5'9" and 165 plus fit and healthy--wonderful. You have worked hard and deserve the best. Thank You for sharing your approach of a lifestyle change and of taking it one day at a time.

Of course you know this, but maintenance is much harder than losing.....you may have to do a little tweaking here and there but you are certainly up for the challenge.

Continued good health and good luck. ????????????????????
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Wow, your story really speaks to me. I have just begun my journey and have lost 27# in less than 12 weeks, so MFP is working great for me so far. I'm nervous about the inevitable plateaus, but I'm encouraged to see that my plans to deal with them are similar to yours. Thanks for telling your story! Congrats on your success & best of luck in your maintenance phase!
  • yogazumbalift
    Options
    Congratulations !
    You are an inspiration :flowerforyou:
  • dedicationandcommitment
    Options
    You go girl!!!!!
  • cboutin89
    cboutin89 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You really gave me hope. Love your determination!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and welcome to maintenance! I've been on maintenance at goal weight for over two years. I find it's really easy and worthwhile to keep up my tracking. I've had no problems maintaining and have no plans to stop any time soon! :drinker:
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your accomplishments and success!, Thanks for sharing your story along with your approach and wisdom in achieving a healthier lifestyle.

Truly inspirational and very commendable!
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Can you PLEASE tell me one thing? What is TDEE? Sorry to ask such a dumb question but yours is the second post today that has that in it and I cannot figure out what it means. Thanks!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=road+map&page=10#posts-15694678
    TDEE
    Total Daily Energy Expenditure
    This is the total amount of calories you burn in a 24hour period.
    You wake up, brush your teeth, lift, run, play, work.....
    You get the idea.
    One thing I've noticed over the years is people underestimate activity.
    They say "I'm sitting at my computer all day long so i'm sedentary!"
    I'll ask "Workout routine?"
    They say "Oh i run for 3 hours a day and do CrossFit all weekend long!"

If you sit all day and barely walk and dont workout, Sedentary.
    If you workout 1-2x a week, Light.
    If you workout 3-5x a week, Moderate.
    If you workout 5+, active/very active.
  • anniegail1961
    Options
    Hi There: Congratulations on all your success! I enjoyed your story very much.
    Continued success in your maintenance phase!
  • Jusjerzy
    Jusjerzy Posts: 26 Member
    Options

My goals changed as I lost. First goal was to get under 200lbs. Once there, I didn't want to be anywhere near 200 so I went for 190. Then I thought I'd shoot for 185. All of the sudden, before I knew it, I'm 165lbs! I'm 5'9" and I think this is a good size for me so now I am entering the maintenance phase.

Your story is very similar to mine! I am also 5'9". I am currently shooting for 175 but my ideal weight was always 165.....that was 20 years ago tho! I am just starting to lift but I am in a very good place now and can afford to be patient! CONGRATS!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!