Should I increase calories?

Options
I seem to have stalled out at 139.5 - that's an 8lbs loss thus far - but i'm looking to lose 9.5 more lbs. my TDEE, based on working out 4-5 times/wk is 2,092. if i take 20% less of that it gives me about 1800 calories, but i'm currently eating 1500 - should i increase my calories? and if so, should i do it gradually? like 100 calories a week? 1800 calories just seems like a lot to me!

any advice welcome!

Replies

• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    so why would u increase them?????????????
    u mean decrease????????????
    u just said you a re on 1800 and thats too many so?????
  • tmblastquads
    Options
    if you plateaued at the current caloric intake, then if you increase..you'll probably gain weight.
    If I were you, I'd either decrease by 100 calories from carbs or fat..and increase the activity level by some cardio.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I've actually seen a lot of people break plateaus by increasing calories, so it's a good question. I suggest checking out Scooby's Workshop (google it) and finding out what you should be eating there.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    She would want to increase since she should be eating at 1800 and is only taking in 1500. Try to increase for a good month and see if that shakes it up. You definitely shouldn't be eating any less than 1500.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options

That is NOT by any means too many.

If you're consuming 1500 and your TDEE is recommending 1800, go for it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How long have you been stalled for?

Do you log everything and weigh everything on a digital food scale?

ETA:

I looked at your diary - some days you log less than 1,000 cals and you regularly log less than 1,200. Is this correct? Also, you have missed quite a few days logging.

I would suggest you take the next few weeks, log as accurately as possible, eat to your calorie target and assess.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Yes. Increase to 1800. Give that number a month and observe the changes and adjust accordingly.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Also, eat more calorie dense foods if it seems like too much. It's only 300 more calories. 2 tbsp of peanut butter, nuts, full fat dairy, avocados, etc...those should help you bump it up.
  • JRSchumaker
    JRSchumaker Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Give it at least a week at 1800 and see how you feel, and whether the scale changes. I'm 4lbs ish to goal, and had to start eating more to 1) not be so damn cold all the time 2) have any energy at all and 3) see any more downward movement on the scale. It's coming, just slowly (which is fine).
  • tmblastquads
    Options
    I've actually seen a lot of people break plateaus by increasing calories, so it's a good question. I suggest checking out Scooby's Workshop (google it) and finding out what you should be eating there.

true...I do have refeed days with higher caloric intake for that day..but that's like every 7~8 days for me.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options

What's with all the question marks???? Go back and read her post again, obviously you misunderstood.

OP: you are actually at the point when many would increase their calories to TDEE-15% (less than 10 pounds to go). I would increase calories by at least 100 for a couple weeks and see where you are.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    With less than 10 lbs left to go, only go for a 10% deficit too.

Less to lose, means body is going to fight harder if you try to lose too fast - as you just proved out.

Raise calories slowly since you slowed everything down, 100 extra daily for a week at a time.

Also, were you only eating 1500 and NOT your exercise calories back?

So if you exercise 500 calorie burn for purely mechanical movement, you left your body 1000 calorie to actually work with for all the other required functions.

if so, no wonder it came to a screeching halt.

But make sure you didn't get really sloppy on your weighing of food.

Though, to be decent enough at measuring to create a deficit and lose for a while, would take getting really sloppy to mismeasure and wipe out the whole deficit.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    How long have you been stalled for?

Do you log everything and weigh everything on a digital food scale?

ETA:

I looked at your diary - some days you log less than 1,000 cals and you regularly log less than 1,200. Is this correct? Also, you have missed quite a few days logging.

I would suggest you take the next few weeks, log as accurately as possible, eat to your calorie target and assess.

^^qft
  • jrsnyder95
    jrsnyder95 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! i haven't been the best logger lately - basically i've been logging up and including dinner, and i see where i am - then i'll try to eat the remaining calories, but i usually don't log those - maybe i should. it's a good suggestion...

also on the other question i eat 1500 regardless of exercise or no exercise. however, if it matters, i exercise about 4-5 times per week for about 70-90 minutes including cardio and weghts.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! i haven't been the best logger lately - basically i've been logging up and including dinner, and i see where i am - then i'll try to eat the remaining calories, but i usually don't log those - maybe i should. it's a good suggestion...

also on the other question i eat 1500 regardless of exercise or no exercise. however, if it matters, i exercise about 4-5 times per week for about 70-90 minutes including cardio and weghts.

So what is your BMR, you know, what your body would like to burn if you slept all day?

And what does your exercise burn for merely moving you, not including improvements from said exercise?

1500 minus that exercise burn leaves how much for your body to use?

Sense a problem, besides the effects you see of no loss?

If you don't think it matters, do you now, because it does?