working out with High blood pressure?

Options
hi everyone sorry for all the questions today I just am full of them haha. ok I want to ask this cause I get worried. I have high blood pressure and my pressure was 130/85 when I went to the doc so she told me its not high enough for medicine so lose some weight. but when I take my pressure and when I went to the hospital it is always high it will go from 140/90 up to 160/98 and I know I need to workout but am afraid to in fear of a stroke. I get dizzy too sometimes when i do workout and its nothing crazy its dancing or walking on a treadmil or elipical in a gym. what should I do?

Replies

• CelticWarrior
    Options
    I went to doctor last year for a tooth ache and they took my blood pressure and was practically begging me to get on blood pressure pills, so I did for a bit, then when ran out haven't been on it since( no insurance ) but I been exercising for 38 days straight and am fine. I think if you take break in between exercises and don't push urself to the limit for awhile, let your body adjust you should be fine in 2-3 months to push hard as you can.

Im no doctor so dont take my word as gold, just speaking from my experience.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Your boderline hypertensive....cut back drastically on sodium, drink lots of water, exercising is "ok" with this type of hypertension...they will monitor you for 6 months and then start hypertension meds if you aren't able to modify lifestyle changes....maybe just stick with walking if you feel dizzy
  • nisijam5
    Options
    I went to doctor last year for a tooth ache and they took my blood pressure and was practically begging me to get on blood pressure pills, so I did for a bit, then when ran out haven't been on it since( no insurance ) but I been exercising for 38 days straight and am fine. I think if you take break in between exercises and don't push urself to the limit for awhile, let your body adjust you should be fine in 2-3 months to push hard as you can.

Have you been monitoring your BP? Also, if you don't have insurance, ask for samples...drug reps give out a lot of them
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    about 4 years ago I was in the same boat, I was BP was something like 160/98 my headed felt like it was going to explode after the first few times working out, I have heard stories that once you go on the meds it's hard to come off, now I take my BP right after working out and the highest it been is 170/84. Take it slow in the begining drink lots of water and long walks is how I started.
  • fightingthebulge
    fightingthebulge Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! there are so many things that worry me. salt is in everything I eat I cant get away from it cause I dont cook and when I do cook its just not the best food and I end up binging like I cant live off of brown rice and chicken cause I get bored. I dont know what to make anymore and i am kinda broke to make recipes cause when i look them up they require all these things i have to buy and i dont have the funds right now i been eating smart ones and lean cuisines but i should switch to the healthy choice ones.
  • nisijam5
    Options
    try cookinglight.com for 5 ingrediant recipes...I would think it's cheaper to make your own stuff than to buy frozen
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! there are so many things that worry me. salt is in everything I eat I cant get away from it cause I dont cook and when I do cook its just not the best food and I end up binging like I cant live off of brown rice and chicken cause I get bored. I dont know what to make anymore and i am kinda broke to make recipes cause when i look them up they require all these things i have to buy and i dont have the funds right now i been eating smart ones and lean cuisines but i should switch to the healthy choice ones.

It's been proven that its actually cheaper to eat healthily. You dont need recipes. Just some fresh chicken, fresh salads/spinach/brocilli, some pepper, paprika and thyme and you can make anything. Frozen meals cost a lot more!! And, as you say, frozen meals are laden with sodium.

As for your BP, exercise improves it. Dont knock yourself out, but dont be afraid to work up a sweat. When my BP was borderline the Doc told me to exericse and cut out salt. The two things you seem reluctant to do? Listen to your body, if your'e going to pass out, then stop ;)

Good luck