I've hit a rough patch... already?

Options
I'll start off by saying, I've only been at this whole diet and exercise thing for two weeks and I have no plans to quit. That being said... it's only been two weeks and already I've stopped losing weight :( The first week went pretty well but the number on the scale hasn't budged in a week. I'm eating 1200 calories on days when I don't work out and 1200+exercise calories on days when I do work out.

What's more, I think the sugar is expelling itself from my system in the form of a huge breakout on my face. This usually happens when I go longer than a couple of weeks without sugar so I know it will pass...but still. Grr.

Motivation and support appreciated :) also, if you think I'm doing something wrong eg with eating or exercise it would be great to know! I'll open up my food diary right now...

(Edit: I've actually only lost 3 kgs this time round, my ticker is from when I first started myfitnesspal last year and lost 4 kgs before getting distracted and leaving... thankfully I maintained for the nine months after that instead of gaining it back)

Replies

• HoneySunrise
    HoneySunrise Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and how much do you weigh? You may need to bump up your calorie intake.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    you've lost 15lbs in 2 weeks. that doesn't seem like hitting a rough patch to me.
  • Fattymatty89
    Fattymatty89 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Often in the first while you lose water weight! It makes it seem like the pounds are falling off, but that plateaus

Dont get on the scale too often. It can be discouraging.
    Try to hit up the scale once a week in the am right after you wake up
  • curtissoph
    curtissoph Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think I'm around 158 cm tall and I weigh 75 kg... aka 5'2 and 165 lb?
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Weight loss doesn't often occur in smooth, even downward lines.You drop a bunch, the scale goes up a couple pounds, it levels off, it drops some more. You've lost 15 pounds in two weeks? Sounds like a lot of water weight, which is fine, and of course you lost some fat. but you've lost enough in two weeks that your body might be taking a breather for a days!

If you hit a real plateau, which I'm not convinced you have, I'd suggest trying to reduce your carbs a bit and pump u your proteins. Continue to build your calorie burn as you stengthen and find it easier to move. And I'd suggest moving thatwater consumption way up.
  • zanusifiona
    Options
    Hi
    I saw your comment and wanted to try to support you- I have experienced a more difficult week this week for some reason in spite of losing 3 pounds. I am craving all kinds of rubbish but I guess 10 years of bad eating won't go away without a fight.
    Just keep measuring yourself as I know sometimes the weight seems to annoying hang in there but the inches fall off.
    Even if you lose only 1 pound a week that would make 52 pounds in a year which is not something to turn your nose up at!
    Keep hanging in there!
    All the best
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hide your scale. It messes with your mind. Just keep working out hard and eatting good
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Three kg in two weeks? That's a lot of weight.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Consider upping your calories a bit, to around 1500. You will feel less cranky and have more motivation for those workouts. Drink more water too.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I started about 4 weeks ago ... had success (1-2 pounds a week, the calories in calories out numbers lining up nicely, 10 pounds lost so far) but didn't lose at all this week, even though I was at a daily deficit (500+) every single day. It's a bit discouraging, but too soon to call it a plateau. Just know that you aren't alone and stick with it, that's what I plan on doing ...
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Yep.... usually anytime you first start out you'll lose weight like crazy (water weight) then It'll level off. I've only lost 5# in 4 months so it could be worse :) But, I've lost inches which are more important than lbs. Take pictures, measure... only weigh once every week or 2.

And... In my opinion your cals are too low. I'm 5'2 and I'm staying between 1500-1900 depending on the level of exercise that day.

Good luck!