Do I need weights for P90X to be successful?

Options
cxdyer
cxdyer Posts: 105 Member
Has anyone tried, and been successful, at the P90X workout without adding weights?

Replies

• laurabelle2013
    Options
    I haven't, and I think that for many of the exercises you could use your body weight or at least the bands...is there a reason you don't/cant do the free weights?
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    You can use resistance bands! They really work well. But yes, you do need to incorporate some sort of resistance as it is a fundamental of P90X. Let me know if you have any other questions
  • cxdyer
    cxdyer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I haven't, and I think that for many of the exercises you could use your body weight or at least the bands...is there a reason you don't/cant do the free weights?

I don't own any weights yet. I can go purchase them, but was wondering if there was an alternative or if I truly needed to. It sounds like I need to purchase some weights if I want to get the most out of it.
  • rolemodel69
    rolemodel69 Posts: 365
    Options
    If you are on a budget, you can buy yourself some resistance bands. Don't forget that 80% of the results comes from nutrition.
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    agreed, i got awesome results from p90x using resistance bands.
  • HollyTsab
    HollyTsab Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone above. I'm using resistance bands in place of the pull up bar as well. It's shown in the video's how too. resistance bands are a great way to start if you're not able to get weights. I got a strap that fits in the door to hold my resistance band in position for the "pull up" modifications.
  • brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can. If you don't have weights, or cant get a resistance band.. anything around the house will work.

a couple soup cans for example.. or nothing. as long as you focus on proper form and focus on the contraction and release of the muscles, you will still get a great workout

source: experience.
  • jrompola
    jrompola Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried, and been successful, at the P90X workout without adding weights?

You can be successful, but you won't get the optimal results without weights or resistance bands. Maybe you want to consider insanity...that is all body weight
  • TRMite
    TRMite Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I recommend getting a set of 3/5/8 or 5/8/10 (if you can find that as a set). by the end I borrowed 15 lb ones from a friend that could be modified to 12.5 (uneven). I also had ankle weights (2 lbs) that I added on 8lbs weights (since I didn't have 10s). If nothing else get 5 and 8 and you can get next up when you work up to it in a month.

PS -- these are really easy to borrow. lots of people have them lying around in their basement etc. post it on your facebook feed and you may be suprised.

Also, get the pull-up bar! It will be used all the time and leads to big results! You will also have a much easier go with a yoga mat. That really is all you'll need to buy. promise!
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think that you can get the same results with the bands - however; I found it incredibly encouraging to use the weights and track how much I could lift. By using free weights and tracking them, I was able to see really fast improvement in my strength. This is nice on weeks when you don't lose much (or any) weight or inches.
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    When I first got P90X, I just used a $20 set of resistance bands I picked up from Walmart, and I got a pretty good burn from them. The good thing with the bands is that there is so many ways to adjust them to get more and more resistance.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options

I don't own any weights yet. I can go purchase them, but was wondering if there was an alternative or if I truly needed to. It sounds like I need to purchase some weights if I want to get the most out of it.

Weights and/or bands are best. I don't know how strong you are, but I was pretty fit and got through the program with a set of 5lbs, a set of 8lbs, and my resistance bands (I was NOT looking for strength gains, just wanted to add some resistance). Check discount stores like TJmaxx/Marshalls, 5below, or Big lots. They usually have pretty cheap exercise equipment.