Breakfast help!

Options
I've been trying to come up with new ideas for breakfast that are healthier and will keep me fuller longer. Today I had 2 scrambled eggs with whole wheat toast and 2 turkey sausage patties. Now it says I have gone over my cholesterol by 177g. I don't know what to do. I felt better all morning and only had a banana for a snack. When I have a smaller breakfast I am hungry by 9am. Any ideas?

Replies

• rebchandler
    Options
    I'm a Luna Bar and/or banana fan myself...but not sure if that helps :indifferent:
  • DannielleKirkland
    Options
    What I have every morning is a 100 cal English muffin with Egg whites, turkey bacon, and grape jelly. Its 260 cals. And its really good tasting!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    toast with peanut butter and an apple with a cup of milk is a quick one for me but when I have time one of my favorites is 4 egg whites with tomato, avocado (1/4 of one) and 1/2 ounce of cheese.

Turkey sausage is not all that great for you as a matter of fact cooking light had a quick article on turkey sausage versus center cut bacon and the result was the bacon was better but the sausage provided more protein, but if you are eating eggs anyway you can save on fat and cholesterol by going with good old fashioned center cut bacon! Below you will find the copied info from the article.

When comparing these two lighter breakfast options, the nutrition breakdown may surprise you. Center-cut bacon is a great choice if you enjoy its crisp smokiness. Because it’s cut from closer to the bone, center-cut bacon has approximately 20 percent less saturated fat than regular bacon with the same satisfying flavor. And choosing turkey sausage over traditional breakfast sausage results in even greater saturated fat savings―nearly half. Head to head, a serving of two slices of center-cut bacon is modest in calories and fat and contains 267 milligrams less sodium and significantly less cholesterol than a portion of typical turkey breakfast sausage. However, a three-ounce serving of the turkey sausage supplies more than three times the filling protein.

Turkey Breakfast Sausage
    (3 ounces)
    134 calories
    7 grams fat
    (3 grams saturated)
    15 grams protein
    522 milligrams sodium
    67 milligrams cholesterol

Center-Cut Bacon
    (2 slices)
    57 calories
    4.5 grams fat
    (2 grams saturated)
    4 grams protein
    255 milligrams sodium
    12 milligrams cholesterol

Kathy Kitchens Downie, RDAdd Comment |
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Try switching your whole eggs to egg whites, or one egg and the rest egg whites, and switch to turkey bacon instead of sausage.
  • kendra1976
    kendra1976 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 or 2 english muffins (120 calories each). I will sometimes add in an egg white (poached in a cup in the microwave) and add a slice of cheese or ham.
  • klmmoore
    klmmoore Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will definitely try these great ideas!
  • jrsebren
    Options
    Egg beater!! - No cholesterol and they actually taste good! - Sometimes i mix things up and add a tablespoon of fat free cheddar cheese, some onions, peppers mushrooms tomaotes - you name it and make an omelet.

We are also big fans of thinly sliced pork loin pan fried in just some pam and salt/pepper as an alternative to turkey sausage.

One more! -If you have access to Sam's Club - they have an excellent line of chicken sausage. My favorite is the Chicken , spinach and asiago cheese. 110 cal for a Large link( i usuually only eat half) taste much better then any turkey sausage product out there!

Good luck!
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I eat one egg in a hole, cooked with one teaspoon of butter and that keeps me full for a long time :) On other days I eat 1 cup of kashi heart to heart blueberry cereal with 15 blueberries and 1/3 a cup of rice or almond milk. A third thing I keep in rotation is one packet of instant oatmeal (maple and brown sugar) with 20 raisins, and 1/2 cup of applesauce with 20 raisins. All three of those are delicious and keep me full :)

Hope this helps!
  • pmorris8
    pmorris8 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been eating breakfast wraps low carb wrap, egg whites, veggie crumbles, with onion pepper mix season anyway you like. Very filling and gets me through lunch. :happy:
  • decemberg
    Options
    Oatmeal with fresh fruit

Plain yogurt with granola & fresh fruit

Organic Waffles & fresh fruit

Kashi cereal

Egg Beaters
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    I get very hungry if I eat anything sweet in the morning. Here are my favorites:

1 egg poached on top of instant cheese grits.

Egg beaters southwestern with salsa and half of a hass avacado.

1 egg, thomas bagel thins (everything) and your choice of meat...........Walmart sells turkey tenderloin sliced that you could cook up...great alternative to the bad ones.
  • crazymel
    crazymel Posts: 24
    Options
    I love having a big bowl of porridge before work or school, because it keeps me going until lunch time and the oats are good for you. I also think it's relatively low cal especially with semi-skimmed milk. :)
  • cry827
    cry827 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try replacing your bread with oatmeal or home fries (use as little oil, salt and sugar as you can). That helps me feel full longer. It's also better for you...depending on how it's prepared. You can also get rid of the egg yolks since they're high in cholesterol (or just have one).

You might want to add a little protein to your snack too. Maybe skip the sausage and have some nuts or cheese with your banana. A little protein goes a long way in curbing hunger. Nuts are high in Omegas and cheese is high in calcium, so you'll get more out of them than the sausage which is also high in saturated fat and cholesterol.

Hope that helps. Keep at it :)
  • krislew
    krislew Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    For me eggs don't cut it. I'm always hungry after eggs.

I eat my breakfast at my desk at work about 8:00. I eat a package of instant Cream of Wheat, maple sugar flavor. (I hate oatmeal). It's 130 calories, 0 fat, 0 cholesterol, 1 fiber. I make it with water, but you can add milk to get more protein.

It keeps me full until about 11:00..then I start getting hunger pains but can usually last until lunch at 11:30 or noon.
  • NineInchGirl
    Options
    Did you know that fruits are full of water and air and when it goes to that "party in your tummy" (LOL) it actually tricks your mind into being full!! Im dead serious!! try it! So if you are like me and you wanna feel satisfied in the morning without eating a "truck driver's" breasfast thats been deep fried in saturated vegetable oil.. Fruits are the way to go!! Oh and soy milk is very filling and packed with tons of vitamins and minerals your body needs and crave to start the day in a super great way.

So this morning i had 54g of blueberry mini wheats with a cup of vanilla soy milk (enriched) but if you don't like that you can stick to your regular milk with a fruit of your choice! I find grapes to really fill up my belly to the point where i sometimes force myself to fish it ! Oranges will do that too ;) try it and if it so happens that you are still hungry (which i highly doubt..just eat another fruit and you'll see that you wont be able to finish it :)

Ps: Fiber 1 cereal are great too! tons of fiber and it tastes sweet (all of em - i tried them all lol) :) im a sweet tooth myself..so those all brans are really yucky to my palette!
  • NineInchGirl
    Options
    Did you know that fruits are full of water and air and when it goes to that "party in your tummy" (LOL) it actually tricks your mind into being full!! Im dead serious!! try it! So if you are like me and you wanna feel satisfied in the morning without eating a "truck driver's" breasfast thats been deep fried in saturated vegetable oil.. Fruits are the way to go!! Oh and soy milk is very filling and packed with tons of vitamins and minerals your body needs and crave to start the day in a super great way.

So this morning i had 54g of blueberry mini wheats with a cup of vanilla soy milk (enriched) but if you don't like that you can stick to your regular milk with a fruit of your choice! I find grapes to really fill up my belly to the point where i sometimes force myself to fish it ! Oranges will do that too ;) try it and if it so happens that you are still hungry (which i highly doubt..just eat another fruit and you'll see that you wont be able to finish it :)

Ps: Fiber 1 cereal are great too! tons of fiber and it tastes sweet (all of em - i tried them all lol) :) im a sweet tooth myself..so those all brans are really yucky to my palette!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I like to do one egg and 2 egg whites instead of 2 eggs as well... more protein and less cholesterol, but it isn't all egg whites.

I've been slacking on breakfast lately... eating a whole wheat bagel and light cream cheese, which is decent but not the best. It is quick and easy though!

I find that I do best when I have more protein with breakfast -- eggs plain or with a little cheese, or even peanut butter on whole wheat toast. I like smoothies for breakfast as well (just yogurt with frozen fruit and maybe 1/2 a banana)
  • kitkat727
    Options
    Keep in mind that some nutrition facts are controversial. For instance, the cholesterol in eggs: some cardiologists are now saying that a daily egg is actually good for you, because of the type of cholesterol vs. various other nutrients (and I don't even remember the arguments).

As for me, my usual breakfast is a cup of low-fat cottage cheese, a banana, and a low-fat cinnamon graham cracker. Unfortunately, cottage cheese is high in sodium, so there's that. Sigh.
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I love sugar free mueseli with some fresh berries and a banana .

2 crumpets with morrello cherry jam .

2 wholemeal toast with sardines in tomatoe sauce .

2 wholemeal toast with mushrooms .
  • klmmoore
    klmmoore Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is great! I think I am going to try to only have 1 whole egg and the rest egg whites and no meat. Maybe adding peanut butter to my toast will be enough protein to get me through. I do have oatmeal too, but no one else in my house likes it so I tend to make things that everyone will eat so I don't have to make more than one dish.