tracking fruit and veggies questions

Options
Hello, im a newbie! im 21yrs old and i have some questions...

i have heard that mostly due to my age, i dont need to track fruit and add it to my daily calores?

then ive heard that i do need to track fruit but vegetables can slide?

I have never attempted a healthy lifestyle before, let alone stuck to a diet, and I would appreciate any help you feel could benefit me :D

Thank you!

Replies

• gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm a little older than you (I'm 34) but I think it's important to track everything I eat.
    I strive to get 3 fruits and 3 vegetables a day and try to incorporate those into meals like stir fry as much as possible.
    Or I will have a string cheese and an apple for a snack, for example.
  • Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have never heard either of those. I can only tell you for me, I track everything all the way down to I can't believe it's not butter, 10 grapes, diet pepsi and everything and anything I stick in my pie hole! LOL! Goodluck dear!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Veggies and fruit have calories so if you are trying to stay within a certain number of calories then you need to track them. Just because they are good for you doesn't necessarily mean you can eat as much as you want. An apple may have 130 cals. If you eat 20 of 'em you are probably way over your calorie goal. My opinion- track them.
  • mdennis22
    Options
    I log everything that goes in my mouth. The problem with skipping somethings, while they may be low calorie they still add up, and you are not getting an accurate picture of how you are doing on the calorie goals. Bottom line is that if you eat fewer calories than you burn you will lose weight. :wink:
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    track everything.....fruit can be higher in calories and sugar then you think...I try to eat 5 veggies a day and no more then 2 fruits a day and also I go for 5 proteins a day (p90x)...I denote this in the food diary notes....It really helps and the other thing is try to eat as many colors of fruits and veggies a day as possible...the color really indictates the nutriates inside....green, blue, red, yellow, orange, and purple.
  • ness_mendoza
    Options
    track everything.....fruit can be higher in calories and sugar then you think...I try to eat 5 veggies a day and no more then 2 fruits a day and also I go for 5 proteins a day (p90x)...I denote this in the food diary notes....It really helps and the other thing is try to eat as many colors of fruits and veggies a day as possible...the color really indictates the nutriates inside....green, blue, red, yellow, orange, and purple.

When you say 5 veggies do you mean like a whole tomatoe? can you clarify please?
    also the same for protein? i am just so new to all of this and would appreciate it. Thank you!