Healthy snack ideas?

Options
I work shifts and am trying to find inspiration for some small snacks I can take with me to keep my metabolism going as I find it hard to eat small amounts throughout the day. Would have to fit in a small container, and be ready to eat as have no cooking facilities at work. Any ideas??? :smile: thanks!

Replies

• drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Whoa there's loads. Here's some snacks I take to work w/ me:

Lettuce with tuna and cottage cheese
    Rice crackers (w/o salt)
    Any kinds of fruits
    Veggie sticks w/ dips (for e. g. cottage cheese, hummus, ...)
    Sandwiches
    Wraps
    Quark
  • kayleighmc123
    Options
    Thanks, veggie sticks is a good idea! Its hard to take things like sandwiches as I don't have a break, I am just allowed to eat when I have a chance so little snacks to pick at are the best!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I like dried fruit and nuts. It's like snacking on candy and it lasts forever! Really good to take to work or in the car. Then there are things like pomegranate seeds, kale chips, and the fruits with protection like apples, oranges, starfruit, and pears. I like pears and brie as a snack too. I like eating fruits or something with sugar and iron in it because I lose energy really quickly and I like that little rush you get from fruits.
  • TMcChamp
    TMcChamp Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    air popped pop corn, a boiled egg, perhaps a sandwich cut into small pieces and pick at that?
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    If you are only snacking in order to keep your metabolism going - you don't have to. Your metabolism will keep going just fine on three square meals a day, or two, or even one big one.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    beef jerky
  • kayleighmc123
    Options
    If you are only snacking in order to keep your metabolism going - you don't have to. Your metabolism will keep going just fine on three square meals a day, or two, or even one big one.

Thanks guys! The problem is with having 2 meals is that my shift normally goes from around 10-5 so I have breakfast then cant eat until dinner time, and I have read a lot saying that you should eat little and often in order to lose weight :)
  • kayleighmc123
    Options
    I like dried fruit and nuts. It's like snacking on candy and it lasts forever! Really good to take to work or in the car. Then there are things like pomegranate seeds, kale chips, and the fruits with protection like apples, oranges, starfruit, and pears. I like pears and brie as a snack too. I like eating fruits or something with sugar and iron in it because I lose energy really quickly and I like that little rush you get from fruits.

Great ideas thankyou! :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Thanks guys! The problem is with having 2 meals is that my shift normally goes from around 10-5 so I have breakfast then cant eat until dinner time, and I have read a lot saying that you should eat little and often in order to lose weight :)
    You don't need to eat little and often to lose weight. I'm not saying don't snack - obviously if it helps with hunger/energy levels etc then snack away! Just don't worry about it being a necessity for weight loss. :smile:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

meal timing and the whole small snacks/grazing is a myth. i mean, if you like eating that way, go for it. i think it works mostly for people that tend to over eat at meals.

personally, i usually skip breakfast, and don't eat anything until about noon. then i have a big lunch that usually carries me until about 4-5pm when i have an apple. then a big dinner.

maybe you could have a big meal at 9am, before your shift? and a couple of snacks at work. and water. i drink a lot of water to suppress my appetite.
  • kayleighmc123
    Options

meal timing and the whole small snacks/grazing is a myth. i mean, if you like eating that way, go for it. i think it works mostly for people that tend to over eat at meals.

personally, i usually skip breakfast, and don't eat anything until about noon. then i have a big lunch that usually carries me until about 4-5pm when i have an apple. then a big dinner.

maybe you could have a big meal at 9am, before your shift? and a couple of snacks at work. and water. i drink a lot of water to suppress my appetite.

Yeah I normally have a big bowl of cereal and some low fat yoghurt and fruit, but I still always get hungry during the day then when I get home I sometimes binge on anything because I'm so hungry! :(
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I never found low fat yoghurt remotely satisfying/filling so i've switched to nuts, dried fruit (pre-weighed to stop me eating too much!) and very high quality cereal bar (Dorset Cereals fantastically fruity - yummy!)

Also pre-weigh things like grapes and blueberries if you have them around, or munchy seeds. MMMMMMm (Seeds dressed with soy flavouring).
  • debkincaid77
    Options
    My shifts can last up to 12 hours & I have lost 20lbs in about 6 weeks, just sticking to the calorie limit altho it is hard not to binge.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

Yeah I normally have a big bowl of cereal and some low fat yoghurt and fruit, but I still always get hungry during the day then when I get home I sometimes binge on anything because I'm so hungry! :(

so why don't you eat more before work?
  • theepervette
    theepervette Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Beef Jerky (with no added MSG),
    Trail Mix (Trader Joes),
    Dry Fruit (Trader Joes),
    KIND Bars/Larabars
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Berries and nuts/celery and houmous are 2 favourites of mine.

Also if you check the recipe section you could make protein bars in bulk which taste good and are easy to carry around