Getting frustrated

2»

Replies

• emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Nuts and nut butters are good options for increasing calories without a lot of volume. Calorie dense foods are your friend.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/28482-list-calorie-dense-foods/

I have an internal conflict, not that it is true necessarily, but I have always been told that nut butters are SO fattening. I have gotten a little better, I have been eat some more peanut butter but I have really been watching portion size.

So what is it, too many calories or too few? The first post is "How do I get enough calories?" This one is "Oh, too fattening."
  • divaprincess86
    divaprincess86 Posts: 10 Member
    prawns are really good, low in fat high in protein, i normally have a handful of those with a massive salad.. then that also leaves room for pudding which is mainly low fat greek yogurt and fruit mainly berries, blueberrys raspberrys etc!!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Fish is always a good option :)

What salad dressing goes with salmon (preferably a vinaigrette)

My new fave dressing to go with salmon is Poppy Seed. Ken's has a light version that is half the calories if you like. I also like raspberry vinagrette. The sweetness of either one goes well with the salmon.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Nuts and nut butters are good options for increasing calories without a lot of volume. Calorie dense foods are your friend.

I have an internal conflict, not that it is true necessarily, but I have always been told that nut butters are SO fattening. I have gotten a little better, I have been eat some more peanut butter but I have really been watching portion size.

So what is it, too many calories or too few? The first post is "How do I get enough calories?" This one is "Oh, too fattening."

This is not an uncommon dilemma for many people on here, so no need to be snarky about it. It can be difficult to wrap your head around eating more calories and accepting 'good fats' into our diets after years of being told that low-fat is the only way to lose weight.
    With the nut butters, you just have to watch portion control carefully.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Adding sliced almonds and other nuts, and seeds to salads and stir-fry dishes is also a good tasty way to get more healthy fats in your diet. And stir frying in coconut oil is great too.

ETA and yes, avocados are awesome as well. I add them to omelets, salads, wraps, etc.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member

This is not an uncommon dilemma for many people on here, so no need to be snarky about it. It can be difficult to wrap your head around eating more calories and accepting 'good fats' into our diets after years of being told that low-fat is the only way to lose weight.

Sorry to sound snarky. A lot of people were helpfully suggesting nuts as an easy way to add calories, since adding calories was the apparent problem, so it sounded funny to blow them off with "too fattening." I suppose it can be difficult to get it all straight in one's head.
  • Nuts and nut butters are good options for increasing calories without a lot of volume. Calorie dense foods are your friend.

Sorry to sound snarky. A lot of people were helpfully suggesting nuts as an easy way to add calories, since adding calories was the apparent problem, so it sounded funny to blow them off with "too fattening." I suppose it can be difficult to get it all straight in one's head.

You need to understand for the longest time my parents wouldn't allow me to eat peanut butter. I have always bee told it is bad. It is hard go from "your not allowed to eat this" to "you have to eat this regularly...but not too much.....but fairly often." If you can't be supportive, you can just get off this board. I have enough people telling me what I should eat with snarky comments, I don't need someone on here doing it too."