What does your maintenance stage look like?

Options
Hi all, I'm doing a 12 week cut as I have/ had around 20lbs to lose. I'm working with an awesome coach and it's pretty strict (carb cycling, weighing foods, no cheats, high protein etc) I'm cool with that as I'm focused on my goal and am at a stage in my life where I'm like - it's now or never!!

But I'm curious as to what maintenance looks like? Do you have a cheat day... or just a cheat meal? Do you still weigh foods? Protein shakes? Carb cycling? No alcohol? Is this really a way of life or is it something you do for a set period maybe once a year then eat relatively "normally" the rest of the time? What is "normal"? All my life I have either been dieting or binging so this is a whole new concept for me!

I don't need to be an out and out ripped fitness girl... but I do want to reach a stage where I have changed my body enough to be slim and toned and with muscle definition. I'd like to not have cellulite... and I'd like for my *kitten* to be inside my knickers rather than splodging out the sides and the bottom :laugh:

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    First of all, carb cycling is only really necessary when you're down to very low body fat percentages (single digits for men, 15% for women). As far as maintenance, if you have macro goals set, which you should, you can eat literally whatever you want that fits your macro goals and don't go over you maintenance calories. It's that simple. Drink as much alcohol as you want, but track those calories and you're fine. I still weigh my food when I'm on maintenance because I have to track calories and macros, but it's not a big deal for me. As far as "cheat meals", for me there's no such thing. If a meal fits into my daily calories and macros, then it's not cheating. People have a tough time accepting the IIFYM approach because they've been brainwashed into thinking you have to "eat clean" if you want to lose fat, but you can't deny the results that IIFYM gets you...
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have been in maintenance since August last year and it's wicked fun. :smile:

I still measure, log and control what I eat quite religiously because I am focused on building muscle. I eat really close to my TDEE of approx 1900 calories almost every day. Some days I go over while on other days I am under (though not by much). There are no banned foods in my life although there are things I cannot eat because my stomach does not tolerate them.

Strength training is done on Mon, Wed and Fri. I 'run' on the elliptical trainer 20 minutes a day not because I have to; I do a lot of dreaming and planning during cardio. :happy:

That's my normal. :flowerforyou:
  • esme1983
    esme1983 Posts: 60
    Options
    Thanks both - its good to hear what others are up to. I've lost a lot of weight/ fat before without worrying about eating clean, but I can't deny that as far as building definition goes, since strating to eat clean 3 weeks ago it has ramped up massively! But once I'm there, it would be awesome to be able to work to IIFYM...